Sponsored

What is the "precedence" of the two USB ports for CarPlay?

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone now or has anyone tried to plug in TWO phones to the dash USB ports to see how that affects CarPlay? It's my understanding that both work for CarPlay - the USB-A and USB-C ports - but what happens if two are plugged in? Would the first phone plugged in take precedence, or would the second one override it? Or would USB-A take precedence over C/vice versa?

I know there will be many situations where my wife will want to plug in her phone to charge it on a long ride (while mine is already plugged in running CarPlay), and I'm wondering if that would affect the functionality.
Sponsored

testa422

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Legacy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone now or has anyone tried to plug in TWO phones to the dash USB ports to see how that affects CarPlay? It's my understanding that both work for CarPlay - the USB-A and USB-C ports - but what happens if two are plugged in? Would the first phone plugged in take precedence, or would the second one override it? Or would USB-A take precedence over C/vice versa?

I know there will be many situations where my wife will want to plug in her phone to charge it on a long ride (while mine is already plugged in running CarPlay), and I'm wondering if that would affect the functionality.
Not sure if it’s a Kia thing or an apple thing but in my wife’s telluride, if her phone is plugged in running CarPlay first, I can plug my phone in to the other USB port and it will just charge

OP
OP
jwilson

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't find anything definitive Ford-wise, but on a Subaru forum it looks like the second one plugged in overrides the first. Anyone else able to try this in the Mav?

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am using the usb C plug for my iPhone and Car play. I have a thumb drive in the standard usb plug that has 1500+ ripped music files on it. If my wife wants to charge some item, she can use the front or rear cigarette plug that has a usb adapter in it. she can use one for her phone and one for her ipad.

works for us.

73bluebronco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick, 1973 Bronco, 2017 Fiat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In previous ford's I've been in, there is a hierarchy. Whatever the main phone is takes priority.
Sponsored