Banned
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Ranger
Hello all,

I have reported before on here that I have an annoying rattle coming out of the Maverick. Not entirely sure from where, because I have been busy since I got it and dont really have anyone to help me to try to pinpoint the noise. But some testing today makes me believe that it is coming from somewhere right underneath the center console, presumably outside of the cabin. I recorded it, thinking that the cell phone probably wouldnt catch the noise, but wow did it really capture it. It doesnt sound as bad in real life, at least to my ears, as it does in the video. My Cellphone is a cheap Chinese phone, it has bad cameras and microphones, so I think that may have something to do with why it seemed to really capture the noise and make it sound worse than it is. But at least it isolated it well and you can hear the rattle for yourselves. It is one of the three issues I have with the build quality of my XLT. The other things were 1. it came with a chip on the front hood that someone (dealer?) tried to fix but made a mess of. 2. The boot for the steering column was not bolted on. I will be taking it into the dealership sometime soon because a new car should not be making these terrible noises.

Some quick words about the sound. I didnt catch it when I initially picked up the truck, but 2-3 days later I noticed it. I probably didnt notice it because other than when at 1.5-2k. rpm when leaving a stop you dont really hear it. In the video you can hear it again at higher RPMs, but on the road the sound is muted by the tires and wind, etc. It does it both when in neutral and slightly revved, and also when driving.

What do yall think? Someone else posted on the forums a while back that in their case pushing up on the exhaust made the noise go away.

In the video it sounds like some kind of grinding noise at times, and that is not what I hear in person.
Having been an ASE Tech and run a govt auto repair faciliy for some 37 years, I can say with certainty this is heat shield or catalytic converter baffle noise . Simple way to locate the offending noise is to have dealer drive car on alignment rack with Tech in vehicle (or you in vehicle) step on accellerator to make noise occur and then isolate where the sound is coming from. They should be able to locate this noise very quickly since it is very pronounced.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Having been an ASE Tech and run a govt auto repair faciliy for some 37 years, I can say with certainty this is heat shield or catalytic converter baffle noise . Simple way to locate the offending noise is to have dealer drive car on alignment rack with Tech in vehicle (or you in vehicle) step on accellerator to make noise occur and then isolate where the sound is coming from. They should be able to locate this noise very quickly since it is very pronounced.
Thank you and to everyone else for their input. I will let yall know what the dealership says once they take a look at it.

OP
OP

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Just got back from having it serviced at the dealership yall. Here is what they said:

Ford Maverick Annoying and Worrying Rattle PSX_20211130_165938

I can confirm that the noise has been taken care of.

So those of you that were reporting a similar issue, maybe look to the fuel line? I seem to remember another member on the forum mentioning that in his case it had been the fuel pump on his Maverick. Probably worth keeping an eye on it or at least keeping this in mind if the rest of you run into a similar issue/noise.

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got back from having it serviced at the dealership yall. Here is what they said:

PSX_20211130_165938.jpg

So those of you that were reporting a similar issue, maybe look to the fuel line? I seem to remember another member on the forum mentioning that in his case it had been the fuel pump on his Maverick. Probably worth keeping an eye on it or at least keeping this in mind if the rest of you run into a similar issue/noise.
Thank for for showing how it resolved for you. This is a help in case others run into this issue. Much Appreciated.

MaverickTime

Banned
Banned
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Ranger

PSX_20211130_165938.jpg

Good thing you had this issue checked out right away, anything rubbing on a fuel line will certainly wear a hole in the line and possibly cause a fire with fuel leaking in engine compartment.

Sponsored

LIL’ Buddy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT (Luxury, 4K tow, 360)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

PSX_20211130_165938.jpg

Thank you!! Got mine 12/21… noticed this noise pulling into my driveway after taking delivery, dealer 30 minutes away, it made me open hood and check…. My first thought was sounds like not enough oil in engine and metal rubbing lol! I haven’t really heard it anymore… but I think it’s still there depending on movement and speed etc… thanks again!! The mileage this happened at was 25miles on the clock.

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks so much, will check into this as well.

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
So maybe not right from the factory?

LIL’ Buddy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT (Luxury, 4K tow, 360)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

PSX_20211130_165938.jpg

So haven’t had a chance to get handled yet… mine isn’t constant or as bad… it does it only in or at least really noticeable in sport mode?? I won’t use sport mode because it sounds like there’s no oil on the engine lol… ugh thanks again for posting the fix for this.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
So haven’t had a chance to get handled yet… mine isn’t constant or as bad… it does it only in or at least really noticeable in sport mode?? I won’t use sport mode because it sounds like there’s no oil on the engine lol… ugh thanks again for posting the fix for this.
Nope, mine always happened at the RPMs I mentioned regardless of what drive mode it was on.

Munsy21

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I took possession of my new Maverick a week ago and for the first few days had no complaints what so ever... then I took it on the highway. On a 300 KM drive we experienced a very annoying rattle in the passenger side IP above the Glove Box. Only above 90 KPH (>60 MPH) and continual until I reduced speed. It was so disappointing to hear, and a real piss off. A brand new vehicle should NOT sound like this.
The noise varied in strength from brutally loud and very annoying to minor (easily drowned out by music). It also dissipated around curves (?) and lowered when we changed roads (wind direction?). But it continued on the trip back home.
It does not happen in lower speed city driving but happens 100% on the highway.
I'm in the auto industry and the plant the Maverick comes from is actually known for good Quality - so my purchase decision was partially based on the expectation the QA system in Hermosillo would give me a reliable vehicle NOT AN ANNOYING ONE.
I'll be taking the vehicle to the dealer but they have no experience with this vehicle so I'm sure I'm going to have a real problem solving this. And removing a Dash Panel will creates future loose and rattling components so that's not an option... this is frustrating.

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

PSX_20211130_165938.jpg

Any idea which line it is under the hood, i'd like to check mine but i'm not sure which line it is

SunfishWC

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue XLT
I had an annoying rattle start at 511 miles. It sounded like it was coming from the dash or glove box area. I took a friend along for a ride to help ID the rattle and it disappeared. I was like wait a minute.

Turns out the front passenger seat rattles in the full rearward position, with no one in the seat. I moved it up one position and it quit, totally, rattle gone. I haven't investigated why yet but this rattle was for sure coming from my seat.

Hopefully there are no more.

Last edited:

huntsville_dave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just got my MAV last Wednesday.....wasn't until around 400km that I noticed the rattle from the front dash..........not sure what's causing it but from the dash for sure.
Sponsored