First Name
unknown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, i took a nice long drive (949 miles) in my Lariat Lux(Sync 3) and i used android auto and google maps to get there.
along the way, android auto stopped about 7 times. phone still showed charging, so it was still connected. i just unplugged my phone and plugged it back in and it started right back up. but i tried rebooting my phone, then i ran battery saver ( force stops background apps), and it kept doing it, so i dont think it was an issue with my phone. any one else have issues with Android Auto?
Sponsored

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Today my Android auto (non-sync3) froze in the middle of Google maps getting us home. As I was trying to figure out how to get home which I did. My wife got out the manual and looked up how to reboot the system. With shutting the engine off did not fix it. She found you have to hold. >>I and power button at the same time till the screen goes black. It came back on and worked again. Hopefully this can help someone else as well.

TimmH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I'm pretty sure it's the android auto app. I've had occasional issues with it just stopping or not even loading in my Jeep.

They've been making some major changes to the app and it's features lately, so there are a lot of ways for them to inject issues that they will have to resolve as they add features.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A bad cable had caused me issues such as you described. Replacing the cable fixed the issues.

As you described a bad cable can still charge the phone but the data signals on the other wires in the cable can go bad and cause the issues you describe.

I have found that placing the phone in the left side area was causing the cable to bend very close to the plug that goes into the phone. So now I place the phone on the right side area and there is no more cable bending.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Android Auto is finally nearing a rollout for a tool we first spotted nearly a year ago. With the latest update, Android Auto can check the quality of your USB cable to see if it’s causing you any issues.

It’s not unusual for Android Auto to have connection hiccups, but the cause is usually the same. If you’re having trouble with Android Auto, odds are that it’s because your USB cable isn’t quite up to the quality it should be. Google has even long said this is a probable cause, with a support page that’s been around for years explicitly saying that “not all USB cables will work with all cars.”

Now, Google is helping Android Auto users to check if the USB cable is the root cause of their problems. Originally called the “Connectivity Troubleshooter” when we first uncovered the tool, Google has added “USB Startup Diagnostics” to Android Auto 7.5 and up, though the feature isn’t actually rolling out yet — we were able to force it on our end to give it a quick test, though. Mishaal Rahman on Twitter highlighted the quiet addition.

When the feature does roll out, you’ll see it under the “Connection Help” menu for Android Auto. Launching the USB cable quality checker in Android Auto will ask you to disconnect the current cable, plug it back in, and then the system will automatically run a test to determine if the cable is up to the task of running Android Auto properly, as pictured below.

Android Auto nearly ready to launch USB cable quality checker; here’s how it works [Gallery]
Sponsored