Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks great!
Did you buy the small size truck or mid size truck version? Small size has Santa Cruz listed. Mid size has the 2021 maverick listed so was not sure how reliable that info is.
Thanks
Mid-Size. As noted, you basically adjust it as small as you can and it will fit just a small bit of tension. That is why I used a rubber mallet to drive in the straight adjusting pipes - fit is effectively perfect. Should have noted in original post - will add that
Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice write up OP.

I have no plans to purchase a bed extender myself but thanx for those pics as I will now be sure to remove those tail lights and do some intensive rust proofing in those light pockets and further in where the inner and outer fender wells meet. Those bare metal parts would be lucky to last two years up here in the rust belt. No Bueno Hermasillo.

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's better than the Ford one - way more space. I honestly have yet to even need mine and it was a hinderance at one point during a rain storm as I wanted to keep my tailgate closed and tonneau cover down but the load I had wouldn't fit with it on the inside position. Mine is hanging in the garage. Perhaps when I go camping this summer I might need it? I have a feeling it's going to be sold locally.

I also just took off a bolt at the back in that area today as I am thinking of mounting an antenna near the tailgate and the paint on the bolt just flaked off completely in seconds and it's bare underneath because of the washer but when you look at the edge where the paint is it's all flakey and the thinnest paint I've ever seen on a vehicle. It really doesn't seem like it bonded very well to the frame and that doesn't surprise me based on the paint flake I saw with my first rock chip.

I think these trucks are going to need paint jobs after 10 years and I would warn anyone who lives someplace where cars rust keep and eye out!!

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks good. If you are to buy a Ford roll up cover it will not work. The latches on the side rails stick out to far, so you can’t put the extender back In the bed.

Sponsored

Joeneonturbo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Dodge SRT-4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks good. If you are to buy a Ford roll up cover it will not work. The latches on the side rails stick out to far, so you can’t put the extender back In the bed.
So this holds true with ford hard fillip tonneau cover and the ford bed extender? I was always planing to buy both.

jwiedle24

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat w/Luxury Pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Video I watched awhile back for those that may need more than pics

OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Added Sentry CT Tonneau. Great fit (have a separate thread on that) - but the extender fits fine. Plenty of height on cover to not contact the top of extender, and width is probably 1/64” too wide but still opens and closes scraping the rails. Will get out mallet and adjust this evening to close it up just a bit. Overall very happy with both extender and Tonneau.

Ford Maverick Amazon Bed Extender with DIBL (Drop In Bed Liner) install - Pretty Nice ADF22242-E76E-493F-A860-3FBEC68E4111

Olele

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For $179 on Amazon (Link—>Universal Bed Extender purchased the mid-size version), this fits very nice and I like it better than the stock extender. Has more space but still plenty solid, very light and looks to be short enough to fit a top (we have the Truxedo Sentry CT I am installing next week). A lot if not most of what I show here on install would also apply to the Ford/Lund Bed Extender. Oh yeah - you can see where I had to cut out access on the DIBL because the Hermisillo folks don’t do it (they should)….

Have not seen a thread that shows this installed or talks about the install so figured a short thread with pictures would help a few here. When you order, you get 3 sections of tubing - 3 left curved, 3 right curved and 3 straight sections that will insert into the left and right and be adjusted to the size of the bed (slide them into the left and right tubing). Quality looks good, stainless and aluminum with plastic verticals and good mounts (mounts are solid).

To install, you will need to go to hardware store and get 6 bolts, 6 fender washers and 6 lock nuts. You can choose to use the stainless sheet metal screws they provide but I would not and did not. To install the mount it is the same as Ford/Lund - drop tailgate, remove the two bolts securing the taillight an pull out to free up the two angled tabs towards the front - then disconnect the electric connection and put the light aside. What you are left with is something like below - note that the Ford Hermisillo factor left bare metal and primer overspray. I need to get some primer and over up the bare metal - Poor QC:

57462485-F98A-4F1E-AAE7-2AF08EB6A0B3.jpeg

Your only access is through those small rectangular holes. I used my fingers and locking needle nose to put the fender washers on then put on the nuts while threading them from the head with an electric screwdriver. A ratcheting wrench with swing head makes it easy(ier) to secure the nylock nut. One item to note - the left anything you drop falls onto the ground as the exhaust is right below and bottom not covered. Right side of truck there is a cover that will ’eat’ dropped washers and nuts so have spares. Other than being a bit “fiddly” as the Brits say, straightforward.

One item to note - you will adjust the width once both mounts are in place. I had to use a rubber mallet to make small “adjustments” at the end. My suggest is to play the straight sections in one side, then use the mallet to drive them as far as they will go and make sure in evenly. Then place the other side into the 3 straight tubes and adjust roughly to fit. I pretty much adjust as small as it would go wrapping up with the mallet. My fit was roughly 1/8” too wide at the mount which was perfect - it tensions the tube when you press to fit in the mounts. Then it swings freely from bed to the tailgate. The extender uses stainless pins to secure the mount points to the bed which I like - very straightforward.

You then add the vertical “bounce” points as you see below which are adjustable - I may adjust mine wider at some point, but this works well right now. The bungee straps that snap into the gate lock points work great but I may just change out for regular straps not a fan of the bungee. Other than that - looks great, and looks like it is low enough and won’t interfere with my rails or top for the Truxedo Sentry CT. Will update when I get it installed.

Pics:
C565B239-4BD7-439F-A4D7-6B4AEF579FEE.jpeg

8E2BB4E4-7092-4A7B-BD3A-F3F479E55A64.jpeg

5D8F3851-DE0B-43B7-AB82-6A141859AD91.jpeg

F78CDC77-AE3D-406A-9E3D-DC31F9D47B2E.jpeg

87293942-90FB-4EFC-A767-944E29FD23D0.jpeg
I checked the Amazon listing and it shows the uprights as 18.5 inches. Is that “real world” measurement (same as yours)? I have a solid 3 fold tonneau cover and a Ford bed mat. Going to take some measurements on mine for clearance. Thank you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I checked the Amazon listing and it shows the uprights as 18.5 inches. Is that “real world” measurement (same as yours)? I have a solid 3 fold tonneau cover and a Ford bed mat. Going to take some measurements on mine for clearance. Thank you.
Yes just went and measured - they are 18.5 Inches. The height to the top is 20.5 inches from the bottom of the DIBL “furrow”. The top of ”furrow” for DIBL is roughly 3/4” higher Or 19.75 inches to the top.

Plenty Of space. I also pressed the cross bars just a bit narrower and now no contact with bed-rails for Tonneau. Overall pretty happy with this top and extender.

Olele

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes just went and measured - they are 18.5 Inches. The height to the top is 20.5 inches from the bottom of the DIBL “furrow”. The top of ”furrow” for DIBL is roughly 3/4” higher Or 19.75 inches to the top.

Plenty Of space. I also pressed the cross bars just a bit narrower and now no contact with bed-rails for Tonneau. Overall pretty happy with this top and extender.
Thank you!

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just finished the install on mine. I also found that it's a bit wide and it needs to be flexed in to fit but doesent affect the flip at all. I was able to balance the washers and nuts on my finger to install the brackets.
Side note for the original poster; I am also missing paint behind the taillight but it is primed back there.
When I take it out again I will disassemble and cut 2 inches off of each center piece to get the fit perfect.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick FWD XLT Hybrid Lux CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just installed this about an hour ago. Hunting for the holes in the drop in bed liner was not the most fun, however I was able to bolt the plates down pretty easily using this pivoting adapter and an extension bar. Just drop the nut and washer into the socket, and thread it right onto the bolt until tight. Also, stick something (like an empty plastic bag that you will have) into that small space below so if you drop anything, hopefully it gets caught. I dropped one of the mounting plates early on and had to take apart the bottom body panel to retrieve it.

Ford Maverick Amazon Bed Extender with DIBL (Drop In Bed Liner) install - Pretty Nice E679C499-D474-4FD1-B8AF-DDBF9980D44C
Sponsored