First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We got the notice of a side cushion airbag recall. The notice told us that the part was not yet available and that the truck was OK to drive. Then we got a notice that the part was available and made an appointment.

DAY 1: We took the truck to the dealer and didn't hear anything all day. I went to the dealership around 4 o'clock and they told me that they had inspected the truck and confirmed that the part needed to be replaced, but they didn't have the part. I drove it home.

DAY 2: A week later, we got a call that the part had arrived. I took the truck in and they replaced the airbags. When I drove off the lot, the seatbelt was very stiff. When I got home, I found that the passenger's belt wouldn't recoil. If the repair was going to hinder the seatbelts, Ford should have notified the service people in a bulletin. As it was, I couldn't take a passenger in the front seat. If you get the recall repair, check the seatbelts right away.

DAY 3: The dealer fixed the faulty seatbelts. The dealer offered me a free oil change coupon for my troubles. I will go elsewhere because I don't want to be tied up for a day.

Now, three days later I am getting a "check engine" light, which the smartphone app dutifully reminds me of every time I drive. The truck only has 10,500 miles.
Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’d take it in. I just heard that mine has a bad PCM.

Stock411

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there harm in NOT getting the recall done? Will Ford Deny warranty claims or even claims with their own service plan (ESP)?

As much as I trust the dealer to “fix it up” I don’t think they’ll do it without creating a mess and not reassembling things how it was from factory.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Plenty of people who had the airbags done reported a light after. One was a fuse, another was a pinched airbag wire.

cmfo

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I took my truck in for the airbag recall, now the truck is in constant deep sleep mode and won't remote start. When I took the truck in for the recall, the guy at the service kiosk said, "I didn't even know Ford was making Mavericks again." I should have turned around and walked out.

Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've had zero issues with my Hybrid Lariat since the airbag recall was done. And mine was likely one of the very first Mavericks to have this recall work completed, since it was done before it could be sold to me. It was a while after I had mine that I first started seeing posts about the airbag kits becoming available for the recalls to get done.

@cmfo, if a dealership service coordinator told me he or she didn't even know Ford was making Mavericks, I would probably leave, and never set foot in that dealership again. But before I left, I would definitely find the GM, and report this. It's been well over 18 months since the Mavericks were first sold, and it is absolutely inexcusable to have a service coordinator so poorly trained that they don't even know the product line...

cmfo

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have purchased from this dealer before, but you're correct. It is inexcusable. This was the second dealership I took my truck to for the recall. The first was even less knowledgeable about the truck...if that's possible.

Cobraj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Jeep Gladiator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
nothing but horror stories on these air bag replacements! will hold off a bit longer till getting them done!

OP
OP

Mark Adams

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After I started this thread, I went to fill the tank. I was going to call the dealer and arrange to take it in for the check engine light. The light went off when I left the gas pump. It seems more likely to be a computer glitch than a mechanical problem. I'll keep an eye on it and post a progress report as I continue driving.
Sponsored