First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The hith rating has nothing to do with the towing capacity of the truck. The hitch rating is given so the buyer knows the maximum weight the hitch and only the hitch will handle. The 4k towing capacity for the truck requires that the truck be AWD to distribute the load to four drive shafts instead of two drive shafts. (The load on FWD 2K trailer is 1k per drive axle and on AWD 4K trailer is 1k per drive axle🤔). Other things are also required to handle the additional heat, etc needed for 4k.

Yup the tow capacity is what the vehicle manufacturer determines the vehicle can handle.

My FWD 2012 Honda Odyssey is rated at 3500lbs.

For info- when you go to reserve a trailer with Uhaul they match the expected weight with the vehicle. When I wanted to tow a car, they even had me enter the type of car (Miata).
Sponsored

jesemd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On modern vehicles, the hitch must be designed to tie into the stronger points of the unibody structure. If you just bolt something on you risk bending the frame of the vehicle. That's an expensive mistake to save a few dollars on a hitch.

Etrailer has the Curt for under $300 - about as cheap as a hitch gets today. And they also have a plug in wiring kit that doesn't require any splicing at the taillights for under $100.

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How do these posts always devolve into arguements over whether or not something will work lol just shut up and let the poor guy be happy he found something useful for the forum 😂. Sheesh. Tough crowd

ViperAir

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How do these posts always devolve into arguements over whether or not something will work lol just shut up and let the poor guy be happy he found something useful for the forum 😂. Sheesh. Tough crowd
It starts with a reply like this??? LOL....

Sponsored

xiaowei

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Xiaowei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am so glad, I ordered the factory for $100....this is a lot of work.....
If I knew the hitch needs so much work, I would have ordered the hitch and the electrical connectors.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
On modern vehicles, the hitch must be designed to tie into the stronger points of the unibody structure. If you just bolt something on you risk bending the frame of the vehicle. That's an expensive mistake to save a few dollars on a hitch.

Etrailer has the Curt for under $300 - about as cheap as a hitch gets today. And they also have a plug in wiring kit that doesn't require any splicing at the taillights for under $100.
Looking at the Curt website the trailer wiring kit for the Maverick looks like a tad more than plug and play and T connectors are pretty much the same as splicing only cleaner but it should get the job done.

jesemd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking at the Curt website the trailer wiring kit for the Maverick looks like a tad more than plug and play and T connectors are pretty much the same as splicing only cleaner but it should get the job done.
No, quick splice connectors are not the same quality as the factory OEM plugs shown here. The OEM plugs are waterproof and will not void your warranty on the wiring like splicing will. You simply unplug the taillights, plug in the trailer harness and plug the taillights into the trailer harness. The trailer harness passes the taillight signal straight through. Yes, you still need to run a wire to the battery, but if you really wanted to be lazy, you could utilize the aux power at the tailgate for this. If you did you would not modify the factory wiring at all.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit...averick/2022/C59DR.html?VehicleID=20226005566

Ford Maverick Aftermarket hitch install DIY video 1670342637969

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
YUP.
I mounted a hitch on a 1999 Dodge minivan- required removing bumper cover and bumper, drilling holes in the frame that the bumper mounted into, and I believe 6 bolts.

In my 2004 Toyota and 2003 and 2012 Honda minivans- the manufacturer put 6 threaded holes in the right spots for a hitch to be bolted to.

Sponsored

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's $100. I don't even know why Ford is making it an option. Just put them on every vehicle. It's just steel. With aftermarket cost + labor it's a no brainer. Splicing wiring and dealing with weight ratings for legal and insurance reasons isn't worth the hassle. The brake controller on the 4k tow package and upgraded cooling to me are well worth the price as well. I like having that piece of mind with a max payload on hills and I know locally I could easily push it to 5k without worry.

NebraskaMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

https://www.napaonline.com/accessories/curt-receiver-hitch?set-vehicle=1

I bought this, got it in two days, your welcome

jesemd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've put a hitch on 4 vehicles over the years and it is always painful. Either in my back or my wallet.

I'm so glad my 2039 Maverick will have the factory hitch.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, quick splice connectors are not the same quality as the factory OEM plugs shown here. The OEM plugs are waterproof and will not void your warranty on the wiring like splicing will. You simply unplug the taillights, plug in the trailer harness and plug the taillights into the trailer harness. The trailer harness passes the taillight signal straight through. Yes, you still need to run a wire to the battery, but if you really wanted to be lazy, you could utilize the aux power at the tailgate for this. If you did you would not modify the factory wiring at all.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit...averick/2022/C59DR.html?VehicleID=20226005566

1670342637969.png
You are correct and just happy I bought all of my Mavericks with the tow package so no additional wiring harness, brake controller or receiver needed.
Sponsored