First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Diesel, 1968 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After 35k miles, two recalls, one warranty repair and receiving my Yeti water bottle, it is time for a long-term review of the Maverick. Not just the truck itself but Ford customer service and the overall experience of owning this vehicle.

I put in an order in July of 2021. I am still waiting for that truck. The order has been converted to the subsequent model year two years in a row. I can’t imagine the frustration for those in that position. It was clear orders late that summer were in trouble, so I tracked all incoming Mavericks to regional dealers and pounced as soon as one was available. I did pay a premium so am part of the problem.

I have a 2022, Lariat, Eco, FX and Tow Package in Alto Blue. No 360 lux package. It does have a rear window that opens but no heated seats. The lack of heated seats and bed liner were the only options I wanted and do not manage to find in one I could buy off the lot.

The process with the dealer for purchase was ok. The interactions with Ford via the App upon purchase was pretty smooth. I have not returned to the dealer once, as they are not in my home area.

Driving and Operation

I have experienced no mechanical issues of any kind. Any tech issues have been minor and brief. I am 6’2”, the interior is a comfortable place to be. With one exception (discussed below) the controls, knobs, screen etc. all work together well. My driving has been mixed in terms of surfaces and weather conditions and the Maverick has been competent and comfortable in ruts, sand, snow, ice, rain and bare highway. I am still on my OEM tires, though they will need to be replaced soon.

I have taken it on many adventures loaded with gear and towing a boat. It is a flexible platform to build your adventure or work dream vehicle. The flexible nature of the bed has been of particular use to me.

If you are interested in maxing out your mileage, use cruise control. I get it that some people are not fans, but you will get an average of 2-3 gallons better if you use it regularly. I have tracked this on paper and am confident in the results.

It is a poised, competent vehicle. Plenty of power, solid HVAC, great safety features (Auto avoidance for head on collisions has worked twice!), great headlights and easy to use controls. I have found the drive modes handy but not important. I like the auto brake and the engine start stop and tend to leave them both on.

I have not done any real modifications. I have added window deflectors, mud flaps and built my own rack and bed cover.

Services, scheduled and otherwise

I have had 4 oil changes and all routine scheduled maintenance done at this point. All were done at a dealer affiliated quick lube place and showed in my Ford Pass Account in a few days.

My truck has been the subject of two recalls and both were addressed at my local dealer. I was informed of them by multiple emails, letters and the Ford Pass App, though the App did not help with scheduling. It would be nice, Ford, when the app points out a specific need on your vehicle and asks if you want to schedule service to address it….that it actually did so. My experience is that it takes you to a general service page that does not include warranty or recall services as a choice. I went old school, called and scheduled the services directly.

The service was performed on time as scheduled. Only a greasy thumb print on my ceiling after the airbag was replaced to note as a negative. It cleaned up easily. I have seen some horror stories on this repair so be aware. I received my water bottle a few weeks after service was completed.

I had one warranty service. It was addressed appropriately. It was a paint quality issue (as in lack thereof). More on it below. But at the end of the day, I am satisfied with the service and support I have received as an owner and customer.

Gripes

I only have two and only one is truly material.

Gripe #1 I noted in my first post after buying the car and it has not improved. The location of the control switches next to the shift knob is an abomination. There is plenty of room on the dash for them. This is a dust/detritus collecting zone and is prone to inadvertent button pushes. No excuse for this lazy location.

Gripe #2 is more meaningful than my problems with button location. It is the quality of the paint. I know they were sending this out as quick as possible but good grief, it is so thin on my truck. I don’t even use the word scratch within 10 feet. Any brush, nick, large bug hit a speed will cause a small flake come off.

My hood, nearest the windshield, starting to flake off entirely. Started as a small spot but spread to a few inches long along the edge. It took 9 months of calls and follow up (mostly due to turnover at the local dealer) but Ford did replace or repaint my hood. I appreciate getting the hood fixed but worry the whole thing is going to delaminate at some point.

Positives

The Maverick is just so versatile. I tried multiple approaches to carrying gear, bikes, skis and they all worked, you have choices! I took advantage of the 12V access in the bed, first just to do it. I have found access to power in the bed very helpful.

Towing support with the tow package is solid. Controls, drive modes, power are all there to help make it safe and easy.

If you drive thoughtfully, you can easily manage 28-30 MPG. In a car this versatile, AWD and powerful that is astonishing.

After being around it for two years, I still love the look. I think it will age well.

And speaking of aging, after 2 years and 35k without a single mechanical issue, I am hopeful and confident this a truly reliable vehicle. I hope to age along with it, gracefully.
20230322_091910.jpg
20230318_170530.jpg
Thank you taking the time to write such a great review! Even though I have the Hybrid with 27,500 miles with no real issues it is good to know at 35k there still shouldn’t be any issues. With the value of our Mavericks so strong I decided to take delivery of my 23 next week and start over with a new warranty and lower miles. Whoever buys my 22 scratch free FE Lariat Lux sh be very happy👍🏻

WNYEscapee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2019 Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yeah, I forgot you had the FX4 pkg. I've not heard anyone yet say that the standard OE 17" Continentals went through a winter "well." I certainly don't plan on running mine through a winter, though they have done okay in light and moderate rain so far. But I don't even have 2K on them yet.

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After seeing the prices for the extended warraties from Flood Ford I am pretty sure I wll get the basecare package to 100K 10 year one.

I had an Escape (basicallt same power trains assembly) and it never made it to 100K without issues...muffler, drivetrain, wheel bearings etc. Ford is no Toyota.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lurker
Engine
Undecided
how is the interior holding up? any major scratches? and how do you like the seats? are the comfortable for long trips and is the activex sweaty/sticky/hot

Sponsored

Jville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man that's all the paints. Even the Escapes are like that.

Watched a video on how to pop out the side markers the other day as they pry towards the paint and instantly noped out of that scenario then went through the wheel well. My year and a half old Escape in the Ice white metallic color had the most paint chips on any vehicle I have ever owned. This stuff is SOFT like wet flowers.

I feel like it's less of the paint itself and more of the primer they are using. I'm no expert in that department though - but I agree - it sucks.
I wonder if the paint issue was addressed for the 23 (area 51). Mine is six months old and not a chip SO FAR.

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After 35k miles, two recalls, one warranty repair and receiving my Yeti water bottle, it is time for a long-term review of the Maverick. Not just the truck itself but Ford customer service and the overall experience of owning this vehicle.

I put in an order in July of 2021. I am still waiting for that truck. The order has been converted to the subsequent model year two years in a row. I can’t imagine the frustration for those in that position. It was clear orders late that summer were in trouble, so I tracked all incoming Mavericks to regional dealers and pounced as soon as one was available. I did pay a premium so am part of the problem.

I have a 2022, Lariat, Eco, FX and Tow Package in Alto Blue. No 360 lux package. It does have a rear window that opens but no heated seats. The lack of heated seats and bed liner were the only options I wanted and do not manage to find in one I could buy off the lot.

The process with the dealer for purchase was ok. The interactions with Ford via the App upon purchase was pretty smooth. I have not returned to the dealer once, as they are not in my home area.

Driving and Operation

I have experienced no mechanical issues of any kind. Any tech issues have been minor and brief. I am 6’2”, the interior is a comfortable place to be. With one exception (discussed below) the controls, knobs, screen etc. all work together well. My driving has been mixed in terms of surfaces and weather conditions and the Maverick has been competent and comfortable in ruts, sand, snow, ice, rain and bare highway. I am still on my OEM tires, though they will need to be replaced soon.

I have taken it on many adventures loaded with gear and towing a boat. It is a flexible platform to build your adventure or work dream vehicle. The flexible nature of the bed has been of particular use to me.

If you are interested in maxing out your mileage, use cruise control. I get it that some people are not fans, but you will get an average of 2-3 gallons better if you use it regularly. I have tracked this on paper and am confident in the results.

It is a poised, competent vehicle. Plenty of power, solid HVAC, great safety features (Auto avoidance for head on collisions has worked twice!), great headlights and easy to use controls. I have found the drive modes handy but not important. I like the auto brake and the engine start stop and tend to leave them both on.

I have not done any real modifications. I have added window deflectors, mud flaps and built my own rack and bed cover.

Services, scheduled and otherwise

I have had 4 oil changes and all routine scheduled maintenance done at this point. All were done at a dealer affiliated quick lube place and showed in my Ford Pass Account in a few days.

My truck has been the subject of two recalls and both were addressed at my local dealer. I was informed of them by multiple emails, letters and the Ford Pass App, though the App did not help with scheduling. It would be nice, Ford, when the app points out a specific need on your vehicle and asks if you want to schedule service to address it….that it actually did so. My experience is that it takes you to a general service page that does not include warranty or recall services as a choice. I went old school, called and scheduled the services directly.

The service was performed on time as scheduled. Only a greasy thumb print on my ceiling after the airbag was replaced to note as a negative. It cleaned up easily. I have seen some horror stories on this repair so be aware. I received my water bottle a few weeks after service was completed.

I had one warranty service. It was addressed appropriately. It was a paint quality issue (as in lack thereof). More on it below. But at the end of the day, I am satisfied with the service and support I have received as an owner and customer.

Gripes

I only have two and only one is truly material.

Gripe #1 I noted in my first post after buying the car and it has not improved. The location of the control switches next to the shift knob is an abomination. There is plenty of room on the dash for them. This is a dust/detritus collecting zone and is prone to inadvertent button pushes. No excuse for this lazy location.

Gripe #2 is more meaningful than my problems with button location. It is the quality of the paint. I know they were sending this out as quick as possible but good grief, it is so thin on my truck. I don’t even use the word scratch within 10 feet. Any brush, nick, large bug hit a speed will cause a small flake come off.

My hood, nearest the windshield, starting to flake off entirely. Started as a small spot but spread to a few inches long along the edge. It took 9 months of calls and follow up (mostly due to turnover at the local dealer) but Ford did replace or repaint my hood. I appreciate getting the hood fixed but worry the whole thing is going to delaminate at some point.

Positives

The Maverick is just so versatile. I tried multiple approaches to carrying gear, bikes, skis and they all worked, you have choices! I took advantage of the 12V access in the bed, first just to do it. I have found access to power in the bed very helpful.

Towing support with the tow package is solid. Controls, drive modes, power are all there to help make it safe and easy.

If you drive thoughtfully, you can easily manage 28-30 MPG. In a car this versatile, AWD and powerful that is astonishing.

After being around it for two years, I still love the look. I think it will age well.

And speaking of aging, after 2 years and 35k without a single mechanical issue, I am hopeful and confident this a truly reliable vehicle. I hope to age along with it, gracefully.
20230322_091910.jpg
20230318_170530.jpg
Sounds like you’d give it a “B”
That’s a pretty good grade!

OP
OP
Phranc68

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Ram 3500, Honda Odyssey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since you're almost out of the factory warranty at 35k miles do you recommend or plan on getting an extended warranty?
I've got a '23 XLT fx4 with tow and lux packages. Only at 2500 miles but haven't decided on the extended warranty. I also hate the location of the shift knob. Great write up. Thanks!
I bought an extended power train warranty at purchase. Everything else is on me now. I like having it but it is costly.
What tool box are you using in the bed?

OP
OP
Phranc68

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
how is the interior holding up? any major scratches? and how do you like the seats? are the comfortable for long trips and is the activex sweaty/sticky/hot
The seats are comfortable and no issues in heat. The interior is fine, I have dinged and scratched the surfaces a bit. A quick clean up with most interior cleaner fixes the problem though.

OP
OP
Phranc68

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I forgot you had the FX4 pkg. I've not heard anyone yet say that the standard OE 17" Continentals went through a winter "well." I certainly don't plan on running mine through a winter, though they have done okay in light and moderate rain so far. But I don't even have 2K on them yet.
I have the Pirellis. They have been fine. I do look forward to new rubber though!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Phranc68

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What tool box are you using in the bed?
I made my own. I wanted racks and a cover. I also didn't want to take off the racks to roll/fold the cover to access the middle or front of the bed.

OP
OP
Phranc68

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
Phranc68

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like you’d give it a “B”
That’s a pretty good grade!
I'd even say B+ overall. Very solid effort for sure.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd even say B+ overall. Very solid effort for sure.
Definitely is in todays world. Fair grade from a fair teacher. Or... are you the student since you are driving? I dunno... I got my GED like 20 years ago :ROFLMAO:

Charles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great write-up! I respect a man that has no fear showing his license plate👍
Sponsored