First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well here's your lesson. These days you can't do a custom order and expect any guarantees. Ford doesn't use a real-time ordering process so they don't really know day to day what the dealers are selling. Ordering from a small low-volume dealer probably works against you.

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Call 5 dealers, get on their waiting list for a cancelled Maverick, and wait. Been seeing more and more posts recently on the socials about folks getting new, customer cancelled Mavs for MSRP.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am having great difficulty understanding Ford right now! I am very disheartened by everything I see, hear, and read! I have serious doubts as to whether I will actually ever see my MY23 Hybrid XLT Lux, or my son will see his Hybrid XLT. Ford delivered almost 52,000 MY 2022, and still couldn't fill all of the orders. Then they take OVER 86,000 orders for MY 2023! Since they already stated there will be no price protection if your MY23 doesn't get built, and has to roll to a MY 24, what is their incentive to really make the trucks? After all, if our trucks aren't built this year, they will be able to charge more for them next year! I really don't get this whole BS about chip shortages either.....If there are no chips, why are there so many new iPhones, and iPads out there? My out the door price on my 23 XLT Lux is about $28,600. The dealer I ordered from got a 22, XL with a spray in liner, and hitch. I would have bought it on the spot, but they wanted $28k for it. Almost the same price as my XLT Lux! So fed up with all of this mess! My son and I both ordered on day one, when the banks opened. I have verified with Ford Customer Service the orders are in, and clean....but I doubt more and more each day whether we will actually see either of them. Especially since our dealer is not a big MEGOPLOIS dealer, and they have lowered the numbers so much on how many Hybrids, XLTs, and Lux packages they will produce! I commute 110 miles a day, so the mileage of the hybrid is key for me. I currently drive a Chevy Cruze, with over 100k on it. My son has my old Cruze with almost 130k on it. I find it frustrating that Ford would take so many orders knowing they likely can't produce them all. It really irks me! They said of the orders they can build, only 35% would be hybrids, but my understanding is that the number of MY23 orders that were for hybrids was closer to 70 or 75%. If that is true, how can they morally justify taking that many orders?!?
The incentive is cash. I have been waiting for so long I could pay cash if I want and Ford will get that $31k only when my Mav comes. I'm sure they would like to sell 100000 Mavs tomorrow, just have to build them.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I assume you did your research before deciding on the Maverick, knew the long waits all the MY22 customers experienced, many still experiencing, knew about the 35% and other constraints and you still ordered a hybrid with Lux and your expecting it to be delivered quickly?

Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am having great difficulty understanding Ford right now! I am very disheartened by everything I see, hear, and read! I have serious doubts as to whether I will actually ever see my MY23 Hybrid XLT Lux, or my son will see his Hybrid XLT. Ford delivered almost 52,000 MY 2022, and still couldn't fill all of the orders. Then they take OVER 86,000 orders for MY 2023! Since they already stated there will be no price protection if your MY23 doesn't get built, and has to roll to a MY 24, what is their incentive to really make the trucks? After all, if our trucks aren't built this year, they will be able to charge more for them next year! I really don't get this whole BS about chip shortages either.....If there are no chips, why are there so many new iPhones, and iPads out there? My out the door price on my 23 XLT Lux is about $28,600. The dealer I ordered from got a 22, XL with a spray in liner, and hitch. I would have bought it on the spot, but they wanted $28k for it. Almost the same price as my XLT Lux! So fed up with all of this mess! My son and I both ordered on day one, when the banks opened. I have verified with Ford Customer Service the orders are in, and clean....but I doubt more and more each day whether we will actually see either of them. Especially since our dealer is not a big MEGOPLOIS dealer, and they have lowered the numbers so much on how many Hybrids, XLTs, and Lux packages they will produce! I commute 110 miles a day, so the mileage of the hybrid is key for me. I currently drive a Chevy Cruze, with over 100k on it. My son has my old Cruze with almost 130k on it. I find it frustrating that Ford would take so many orders knowing they likely can't produce them all. It really irks me! They said of the orders they can build, only 35% would be hybrids, but my understanding is that the number of MY23 orders that were for hybrids was closer to 70 or 75%. If that is true, how can they morally justify taking that many orders?!?
Wall of words... Make head hurt

OP
OP
SteveM

SteveM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado, 2017 Cruze
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I assume you did your research before deciding on the Maverick, knew the long waits all the MY22 customers experienced, many still experiencing, knew about the 35% and other constraints and you still ordered a hybrid with Lux and your expecting it to be delivered quickly?
I never said anything about expecting it quickly! Not sure where you read that. Yes I did my research, and that is why I placed my order on day one. I would have expected Ford to do their research, and not accept so many orders! Speaking of research, perhaps you could research the difference between your, and you're.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I never said anything about expecting it quickly! Not sure where you read that. Yes I did my research, and that is why I placed my order on day one. I would have expected Ford to do their research, and not accept so many orders! Speaking of research, perhaps you could research the difference between your, and you're.
Ah the grammar rebuttal. An internet classic.

OP
OP
SteveM

SteveM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado, 2017 Cruze
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ah the grammar rebuttal. An internet classic.
Well, if someone is going to put words in my mouth, they're going to need to use proper grammar! LOL

MrCigar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT EB FX4 Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Grabbing popcorn....

Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sorry, but the argument that Ford is purposely NOT building '23 Mavericks in order to somehow boost profits by NOT running a plant at full capacity, and NOT selling vehicles that generate revenue is just preposterous! They're already invested in the plant in Mexico, and they're already paying the labor force that builds the trucks. Both of those are effectively sunk costs. The only way Ford can maximize their profits (a shareholder mandate) is to build as many Mavericks as possible, ship them as quickly as possible, and deliver them to dealers as quickly as possible. Ford doesn't make any money from ADM the dealer charges, and their price increases are basically in line with inflation.

As to why the auto makers are suffering more from the chip shortages than the cell phone makers, etc. – that one is real simple. When the global pandemic hit, the phone/computer makers realized immediately that "working from home" was going to be a BIG DEAL, and would drive a LOT of upgrades to phones, computers, etc. So they kept their orders intact, or even increased the quantities. The auto makers, on the other hand, assumed that there would be a huge drop-off in auto purchases, so they cancelled chip orders - by the billions. Then, when they realized sales were not plummeting as expected, the re-issued some of the orders (but by no means the full volume), only to find themselves stuck at the back of the line behind Apple, Samsung, LG, etc.

And oh, by the way, those consumer electronics companies were ordering chips by the multiple millions, whereas Ford, Chevy, Honda, Toyota, etc. were ordering a paltry number (a few million chips) by comparison. So when the pandemic hit those chip-fab plants hard, and they had to reduce production because of severe labor shortages, guess which chips they kept producing? (If you guessed "The ones that never got cancelled," you win the prize.) It was easier to keep producing the chips for which they had firm, never cancelled orders, rather than constantly changing the production lines to produce much smaller batches of lower-volume order items. And when they did produce those orders, they waited until they had a batch of them - enough to be worth switching out the fab process - and then ran a batch.

That's why the shortages appear to come and go so much. One week the chips needed for CP-360 functions are suddenly unavailable, and a few weeks later Ford is swimming in them for a month or so, then they're gone again... And it's not just Ford, it's all the auto makers – with the possible exception of Hyundai/Kia, who brought a LOT of their chip manufacturing in-house. They've been far less impacted by "chip shortages" than the other manufacturers, though not completely unscathed by other supply-chain issues.

The entire world's logistics and supply channels are still screwed up from the effects of the pandemic, and it's going to take another 6-12 months for it to completely clear up.

All that said, I completely agree that Ford's customer order process is unbelievably screwed up. I used to be an IT architect, and one of my jobs was to help business people understand how to create accurate requirements documents, so that the systems actually did what the business people needed. In this case, the Ford ordering system is failing the dealers, the end customers, and FoMoCo itself. It's inexcusable. If I were king of the world for a day, either that system would change, or heads would roll...

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For some reason the song "Cry Me A River" comes to mind

MesaMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F-150 FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They're, there and their. English can be a difficult language.

xlt-doug

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick (soon) Escape (current)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you really need a vehicle then the Maverick is a bad move. It is in extreme demand, low production, parts and chip constraints, dealer markup’s, terrible communication, wacked priority system, wacked allocation system, recall delays, shipping delays, DORAs, smart Vincent, price protection, private offers, rollovers, interest rates, ADMs. Where’s the Tylenol 😓
Sponsored