Sponsored

2024 XLT Hybrid order just picked up yesterday, SERVICE ENGINE SOON CEL today on road trip

jerrisn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid/2023 Hyundai Tuscon/2013 Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sharing on behalf of a friend who acquired his 2024 XLT Hybrid just yesterday. While on a 500-mile road trip today, he encountered the following error:

"The engine control system has detected an electrical fault with the exhaust gas recirculation control circuit."

Despite extensive searching, I couldn't find anything related to this error message. The truck is functioning normally, and the dealer is investigating. However, he's currently away from home. Has anyone else experienced this?

Ford Maverick 2024 XLT Hybrid order just picked up yesterday, SERVICE ENGINE SOON CEL today on road trip 1714661851770-i6

Edit:
The dealer doesn't seem to think it's a significant issue and has suggested bringing it in next Wednesday. However, he's still away from home and concerned about the issue, especially since it's occurred at just over 200 miles. I'm curious whether the dealer performed the recalls before selling the vehicle, or if they were completed at the factory.

My 2023 XLT Hybrid with 17k miles has been fine, and I haven't had the three recalls addressed yet.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

jerrisn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

jeffrol48197

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Explorer, 2009 Focus, 2019 Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the lights isn't flashing and the truck is running fine, tell him don't worry about it - probably something small and stupid and he can address it when he gets home...the lights to pay close attention to, are RED...

PNWMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This happened to me within the first 1,000 miles on my '22 hybrid!!

It required an entirely new exhaust system from the exhaust manifold back! Ford (at the time) wasn't sending individual components of the system and were just sending the single monolithic unit.

Edit:

This was also when we found out that the Ford app will also notify your designated service center when certain CEL illuminate.

Edit 2:

We were told we could continue to drive it as long as it sounded, ran, and smelt normal. Part came in within a couple of days. The repair itself took a few hours.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MO HORSE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had similar experience. I have a 2024 XLT Hybrid I bought in March. In April with 774 miles on the odometer the check engine light came on. Got message from Ford Pass app on my phone also.
Took it in immediately and it was determined to be exhaust "heat exchanger". The part arrived the next day and got truck back the day after. My error message however was not the same. Message basically said same as above that if you can drive it proceed to dealership with care. Not helpful to your friend, I know how he feels though.

OP
OP

jerrisn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I had similar experience. I have a 2024 XLT Hybrid I bought in March. In April with 774 miles on the odometer the check engine light came on. Got message from Ford Pass app on my phone also.
Took it in immediately and it was determined to be exhaust "heat exchanger". The part arrived the next day and got truck back the day after. My error message however was not the same. Message basically said same as above that if you can drive it proceed to dealership with care. Not helpful to your friend, I know how he feels though.
The dealer assured him it was safe to continue driving, and he's scheduled for an appointment next Wednesday. Despite this, the check engine light (CEL) remains illuminated as he heads back from his destination. Another concern arose today when his radio suddenly rebooted, causing him to lose the station he was tuned into. Instances like these aren't giving Ford a good reputation nowadays. Nevertheless, he's pleased with the mileage he's getting and overall enjoys his 2024, while I remain content with my 2023.

Interestingly, my mom encountered a problem with her 2020 Escape today. It wouldn't start with the push button, but would with the remote. However, when she put it in drive, the engine would die. I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds and then reconnected it. Surprisingly, rebooting the computer fixed the issue, and she was able to drive it home. These computerized vehicles are only going to become more problematic.
Sponsored