Sponsored

2024 EB brake failure

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Will
Joined
Oct 11, 2021
Threads
18
Messages
2,113
Reaction score
2,279
Location
S.Carolina
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Miata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There was a thread a while ago with a guy who said he lost brake pedal and hit small business after it jumped a curve. The thread got nasty and I don't think we ever did find out what happened.
I believe I remember them saying "the brakes failed TWICE" yet they were still driving it. From all description of the two incidents it sounded like classic "pushed the wrong pedal" cases.

Cuz I think the crash into the store STARTED at "super low speed"- which means even if the brakes failed they wouldn't have jumped the curb or whatever.

And it got ugly because people wondered if the wrong pedal was applied and people argued over that?
Sponsored

 
OP
OP

dbozman

2.0L EcoBoost
Active member
Joined
Mar 26, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
43
Reaction score
97
Location
Phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It would be great if folks could control themselves and not re-litigate a previous thread here. I’m trying to present facts that may be useful to another owner in the future. I appreciate your consideration.

Judder = “to vibrate with intensity.”
 

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Dan
Joined
Mar 22, 2022
Threads
26
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
1,362
Location
14150
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just mentioned the other thread as it sounded some what similar . I hope I didn't start a mess like that thread. sorry if I did.

Glad dealer is taking this seriously.
 
OP
OP

dbozman

2.0L EcoBoost
Active member
Joined
Mar 26, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
43
Reaction score
97
Location
Phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Correction: The part ordered was an HCU, which is a hydraulics control unit, as I understand it.
 

Sponsored

HeyBales

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Mike
Joined
May 3, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
5,613
Reaction score
5,462
Location
KC Metro area
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota RAV4, 2024 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My understanding is the Hybrids' brakes are different, as they assist in charging the batteries.
I have my doubts about the guy and the small business crash.
Well, the brakes don't assist in charging the batteries, as in physical brakes.
Way up the line the Electronic Brake Booster is used instead of the vacuum booster the EB uses (not sure if 25 EB's keep it). Something many cars use instead of vacuum. Like steering racks.
That allows the traction motor to provide a lot of possible resistance if no Go pedal pushed, and if no quick heavy braking is requested, to indeed recharge the battery. When the press is hard enough the EBB presses on to the hydraulics like normal.
 
OP
OP

dbozman

2.0L EcoBoost
Active member
Joined
Mar 26, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
43
Reaction score
97
Location
Phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Truck is still in the shop. No further communication since Friday. With a weekend to get my thoughts in order, I have to say my level of concern is high.

Don‘t know if there are any ChatGPT users here, but if you plug my specific situation into a query, the response is exactly the steps being taken. Replace the HCU and rebuild the master cylinder. It also suggested a firmware update.

Here is where I’m struggling: Electronics should not be able to override core vehicle functions. IE, even if a sensor goes bad, I still should have brake pedal.

In practical terms, this has created a trust issue. I love the truck in the sub-500 miles of ownership. I was fortunate to have the issue in my neighborhood. But what about at 80 mph on the freeway? Or an emergency situation if a kid rides his bike in front of me?

Not to minimize other people’s issues, but total brake failure is a different animal than a dead battery or rattling dash. Thoughts?
 
OP
OP

dbozman

2.0L EcoBoost
Active member
Joined
Mar 26, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
43
Reaction score
97
Location
Phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Truck still in the shop. No resolution as of this writing. Tomorrow will be one week at the dealer. I did miss a call from Ford, but it was the same customer service person reading from a script. I requested escalation from Ford (no response) and the dealer, who stated the sales manager would contact a regional Ford rep.
 
OP
OP

dbozman

2.0L EcoBoost
Active member
Joined
Mar 26, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
43
Reaction score
97
Location
Phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Latest update: Not much to report. Wednesday will be two weeks at the dealer. Last meaningful information was 3-4 days ago. I had a long conversation with a new service advisor. He asked some good questions about the circumstances of the brake failure.

To my understanding, they have new parts, but have not been approved by Ford engineering to install them. Regardless, they haven’t been able to replicate the issue, so I suppose it doesn’t matter. If they can’t figure out specifically what happened I won’t be comfortable ever driving this vehicle again. Setting aside my safety (and everyone else on the roadway), imagine the liability.
 
OP
OP

dbozman

2.0L EcoBoost
Active member
Joined
Mar 26, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
43
Reaction score
97
Location
Phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, I appear to be in a tough position. They’ve replaced the HCU and some other parts and driven the truck a bunch. Unable to replicate the issue and now it appears I’m going to have to take possession of the truck. No one can assert that any of the parts were bad.

I had anticipated Ford might do a buyback just based on the liability. That doesn’t appear to be the case. I did have an attorney consultation and I don’t qualify for Lemon Law in AZ as there is no statutory “safety concern” language. Basically, I’d need to wait for the brakes to fail again — and hope neither I nor anyone else died — in order to have a successful claim.

That doesn’t really seem like a reasonable thing to do. I can’t imagine putting my family or other drivers’ families at risk by operating this vehicle. I guess my only real option is to take a financial hit and sell it Carmax.

Pretty upset by this entire ordeal.
 
Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Retired
Joined
Oct 8, 2021
Threads
15
Messages
2,614
Reaction score
4,558
Location
SE Ohio 🇺🇸
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang Mach-E P4X, '24 Bronco Big Bend 2Dr Sasquatch, Hot Rods
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, you're in a tough spot for sure. I would probably try to work out some kind of trade with the selling dealer first, see if they are motivated to take care of you. Plus, puts the liability of the vehicle back on them for resale. Good luck.
 

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Terry
Joined
Apr 27, 2021
Threads
113
Messages
4,707
Reaction score
9,120
Location
West Chicago, IL
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
I guess my only real option is to take a financial hit and sell it Carmax.

Pretty upset by this entire ordeal.
Worse case scenario, you'll take a $5K or so hit. Sell the truck, buy another brand, and move on. Your family has to be worth it.

HRG
 
OP
OP

dbozman

2.0L EcoBoost
Active member
Joined
Mar 26, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
43
Reaction score
97
Location
Phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just to follow up again, I made an official buyback request with Ford. The rep was responsive and emailed me the necessary paperwork, which I returned same day. Fingers crossed on the buyback.
 
OP
OP

dbozman

2.0L EcoBoost
Active member
Joined
Mar 26, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
43
Reaction score
97
Location
Phoenix
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure if anyone is still following this saga, but Ford did offer a buyback today. I’m supposed to hear from the buyback specialist in 3-5 days.
 

MiMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
Joined
Sep 30, 2022
Threads
3
Messages
157
Reaction score
286
Location
Michigan
Vehicle(s)
'23 EB FX4 4k Maverick, '14 Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure if anyone is still following this saga, but Ford did offer a buyback today. I’m supposed to hear from the buyback specialist in 3-5 days.
Good for you. I hope they offer a reasonable amount. I am somewhat surprised that they are offering a buyback.
Sponsored

 
 







Top