2.0L Performance Mod Ideas

Itsturbotommy

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, Supercharged Tahoe
E85, fuel rail, injectors, Full intake and cat back. easily get 400lbft 380hp out of it. Reliable HP to.
These motors are direct injected so usually it's not as simple as e85, fuel rail and injectors. To do full e85 and not a blend like e30 you will need to replace the high pressure fuel pump (~$1500) to support the flow, and the injectors (~$1000) I
doubt anyone will make a fuel rail for these motors as well but are probably not needed. You could run a secondary port fuel injection system for full e85 as another option. Most people that do this on ecoboosts run a split second fuel computer to run everything and then have it tuned for an additional cost.

asel3121

First Name
Asel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Engine
Undecided
Would anyone mind explaining a "tune" for us noobs? I'm sure I could Google it but I'd like to know in the context of Ford trucks.

I ordered the hybrid, which basically rules out performance upgrades, but seeing some reports of EcoBoost Maverick models getting over 30mpg has me second-guessing this choice. My current vehicle, a Chevy Spark, has a measly 90-ish horsepower, whereas my wife's Honda Pilot has around 290, and really hauls ass. Seeing as the Maverick hybrid supposedly gets 191, it looks like I'm stuck somewhere in between the two, and I honestly don't know if that's as much power as I want.

When I was young, my father modded his F-150 with a K&N intake and a Jet performance chip, and it was awesome. That's the kind of stuff I wish I could do but from what I understand seems like a no-go on hybrids. I plan on having a lot of fun with this truck and would consider changing my order to the EcoBoost if it means I can get some solid performance upgrades done.

Thanks!

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would anyone mind explaining a "tune" for us noobs? I'm sure I could Google it but I'd like to know in the context of Ford trucks.

I ordered the hybrid, which basically rules out performance upgrades, but seeing some reports of EcoBoost Maverick models getting over 30mpg has me second-guessing this choice. My current vehicle, a Chevy Spark, has a measly 90-ish horsepower, whereas my wife's Honda Pilot has around 290, and really hauls ass. Seeing as the Maverick hybrid supposedly gets 191, it looks like I'm stuck somewhere in between the two, and I honestly don't know if that's as much power as I want.

When I was young, my father modded his F-150 with a K&N intake and a Jet performance chip, and it was awesome. That's the kind of stuff I wish I could do but from what I understand seems like a no-go on hybrids. I plan on having a lot of fun with this truck and would consider changing my order to the EcoBoost if it means I can get some solid performance upgrades done.

Thanks!
A tune is similar to the chip your father used, you can still get K&N drop in and a cold air intake (CAI) for the eco boost.

To get a tune you'll need to send the ecu (truck will not run) to a programmer or somebody local that can tune it on the truck.

Just be aware that the EcoBoost will be capable of improved mpg, you however may not be capable :oops:

The hybrid is very upgradeable for performance (MPG above 50 :eek:) improvements (y)

asel3121

First Name
Asel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Engine
Undecided
A tune is similar to the chip your father used, you can still get K&N drop in and a cold air intake (CAI) for the eco boost.

To get a tune you'll need to send the ecu (truck will not run) to a programmer or somebody local that can tune it on the truck.

Just be aware that the EcoBoost will be capable of improved mpg, you however may not be capable :oops:

The hybrid is very upgradeable for performance (MPG above 50 :eek:) improvements (y)
What kind of performance improvements can be done to the hybrid? Is there decent pickup/acceleration with 191hp? I'm not looking to race Dom Toretto but I do have a bit of a lead foot (mostly just to pass the octogenarians on these SoFla streets)...

Reactions: bgn

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford is the same way, they'll know if the vehicle has been tuned or not, even if you return to stock before taking it to the dealer. As for Ford being receptive to mods, that's really a dealer thing as they are the ones who initiate warranty claims. If something needs replaced prematurely due to a mod you made to the vehicle, the dealer could look the other way, or they could note it in the warranty claim in which case Ford would possibly deny the repair. Some dealers are much more mod friendly than others.
If the tune is a piggy back there is no way for ford to know this. My last BMW 330i had a stage 1 tune and never had an issue with it, I didn't go over board on the boost either just +3 over stock. It was a nice 45hp and 50lbs boost in power.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Eh, I think you'd want to go big turbo if you want to hit 400. That's usually the bottleneck on these 2.0L EcoBoosts on the way to bigger, usable power. However, a simple tune that lifts the torque truncation and livens up throttle mapping can really increase the fun level, even if there's not a big HP gain.
I agree, the EB 2.0 won't hit 400hp on a stock turbo...

I've been having fun with my 2008 BMW 335i, with stock turbos I'm making 600hp to the rear wheels.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I would not suggest anyone tune their EB with a piggyback. To each their own though.
With a Piggy Back tune, why?

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
What kind of performance improvements can be done to the hybrid? Is there decent pickup/acceleration with 191hp? I'm not looking to race Dom Toretto but I do have a bit of a lead foot (mostly just to pass the octogenarians on these SoFla streets)...
You will learn to drive differently than you do now. Electric motors have different torque ranges and produce more power at lower RPMs you will be pleasantly surprised I suspect

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

That performance upgrades are available for the hybrid?

Sponsored

LE5CAV

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL: 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

felsf50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As with most smallish turbo engines, by far the biggest bang for buck is just a tune. And given that ford has had a factory tune available that keeps warranty in tact for a lot of other Ecoboost...maverick could have 310hp 330lb/ft for what is essentially a 800 dollar dealer option.
Where do I find the factory tune info? Thanks

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Where do I find the factory tune info? Thanks
You don't. Ford doesn't offer one, at least not yet. There has been no official word AFAIK saying they will do one.
Sponsored