Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The difference is that a car dealer is the ONLY place a consumer can purchase a brand new car. They have a Monopoly on new car sales due to years of lobbying the govt. For it to be priced anything other than MSRP is absolutely BS and unfair to the consumers.

I have no problem with a customer buying a maverick and turning around and trying to flip it for profit because the consumers already had a chance at it at MSRP. I like to use the following example:

Over the last year the new Xbox and playstation have been sold out nearly everywhere. As soon as it gets a restock on Walmart, they are gone again in minutes. Now Microsoft set a price of $500... If the only places in the world you could buy one is Walmart or Amazon, and they crank the price up to $900, wouldn't that be unfair? Microsoft wanted to sell it at $500 after all, but you can't buy direct from Microsoft. All bets are all for what you would pay for one on eBay, but if you caught the restocks you would have paid MSRP and not a penny more. Cars should be the same way but the dealer system screwed it all up
not true. I once bought my Pontiac Vibe through COSTCO member purchase plan. I'm sure there are other similar plans. They find you a participating dealer that doesn't do crazy shit and you get a set price- take it or leave it.
Sponsored

Tim O'LEARY

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 BMW Z3/Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The difference is that a car dealer is the ONLY place a consumer can purchase a brand new car. They have a Monopoly on new car sales due to years of lobbying the govt. For it to be priced anything other than MSRP is absolutely BS and unfair to the consumers.

I have no problem with a customer buying a maverick and turning around and trying to flip it for profit because the consumers already had a chance at it at MSRP. I like to use the following example:

Over the last year the new Xbox and playstation have been sold out nearly everywhere. As soon as it gets a restock on Walmart, they are gone again in minutes. Now Microsoft set a price of $500... If the only places in the world you could buy one is Walmart or Amazon, and they crank the price up to $900, wouldn't that be unfair? Microsoft wanted to sell it at $500 after all, but you can't buy direct from Microsoft. All bets are all for what you would pay for one on eBay, but if you caught the restocks you would have paid MSRP and not a penny more. Cars should be the same way but the dealer system screwed it all up
You can buy from any dealer in the country. There is no monopoly because one dealer is greedy. Buy anywhere you find a good deal and use the extra money to fly one way to pick it up and drive it home.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree as a former Contracting Officer with the Federal Government an agreed-to-price (purchase order) is a legally binding contract!
Yes no judge in their right mind would rule that a price agreed to deliver inventory on a PO means nothing and the seller can decide later what random amount to increase the price by.

Your Mav Order Form registered with Ford is your purchase order to buy the truck at the agreed upon price. If a dealer plays games and tried to bully you to even add paint protection not listed on your order, I bet they would not want to have to explain to a small claims court judge why your original order with the price and options you signed for means nothing.

Keep in mind a dealer cannot order stock inventory so the only way to get a Mav on their lot is for a dealer to bully you and try you get you to agree to a 10k ADM or they will sell to someone else +15k. I doubt they care if you get mad and walk because that frees them up to take over control of the Mav you waited months for and sell it right away to someone else with a bunch of dealer installed options and an ADM that can make a XL cost as much as a base Lariat or more.

Last edited:

Chicago Mike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
15K above? Wow that is crazy, how do these people sleep at night?!

Sponsored

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
I think people here, alot of them anyway, cant seem to understand the "Suggested" part of MSRP. Shit sells from retailers ALL THE TIME, above MSRP. MSRP from the manufacturer is not a mandate that any retailer has to follow, and for the vast majority of products recently, especially with the scarcity of silicon/chips, demand being higher than every, gas prices etc, you would be STUPID not to sell above MSRP.

Right now we are in a housing shortage. So why on earth would I sell my house for what "I" paid for it instead of what the market allows? Dont worry about it so much. Its jus the cost of doing business. If anything, this will keep value on the vehicle High considering that getting a Hyrbid at least is all but impossible for most people at MSRP from a dealer lot.

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
Keep in mind a dealer cannot order stock inventory so the only way to get a Mav on their lot is for a dealer to bully you and try you get you to agree to a 10k ADM or they will sell to someone else +15k. I doubt they care if you get mad and walk because that frees them up to take over control of the Mav you waited months for and sell it right away to someone else with a bunch of dealer installed options and an ADM that can make a XL cost as much as a base Lariat or more.
Not even true. They DID get allotments, and also they can take ownership of cancelled preorders.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not even true. They DID get allotments, and also they can take ownership of cancelled preorders.
No dealer can order a hybrid for stock. Yes they can take over ownership of canceled orders. That is why people need to be careful to not get bullied into canceling.

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
No dealer can order a hybrid for stock. Yes they can take over ownership of canceled orders. That is why people need to be careful to not get bullied into canceling.
Im saying what was already ordered. Also dealerships get cancelled orders for various NON nefarious reasons all the time.

My Maverick Hybrid is a perfect example. Guy who ordered it couldn't get financing when it came down to it for whatever reason, so had to cancel. Or people just change their minds, or their financial situation changes.

Our local dealer got two cancelled preorders last month alone specifically because people backed out, NOT because of them doing anything dirty.

HotJombalya

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jombee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Ranger Edge, 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve been calling dealers within a hundred miles of me to ask to be put on waiting lists for hybrids that are customer ordered that fall through hoping to get lucky like some of our compadres here on the forums.

Just got off the phone with one who was calling me back saying they have two coming in. At 10k ADM. I said no thank you.

I think it’s a dirty business practice but I don’t really hold it against them. If they can get that from somebody that’s how it goes, but that someone won’t be me 😆

Sponsored

RevBo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

@ Ford of Montebello, SoCal

676p14ozjhc81 (1).jpg

676p14ozjhc81.jpg
As a prior Ford employee, these addendum stickers are what gives an otherwise excellent car manufacturer a bad name. First, it shows the dark cloak of customer deceit a dealer is willing to go to to make some extra bucks, all the while abusing its most precious commodity, its customer! Dealer cost for door guards ($20.00) and wheel locks ($25.00) shows the greediness of Ford of Montebello or any other dealership who would seek to charge the same. This kind of abuse is what gives all dealers a bad name, even when they are attempting to be honest with the customer. Ford Motor Company should put a stop to this with all its dealers immediately.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
That's just stupid. I'd be pissed if I sold cars there, because it just makes everyone involved look shady... and.... stupid.

There was a super nice Ranger Tremor on the dealer's floor when I picked up my Maverick and it was less than this.

Wizard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 cactus grey Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Good for that dealership. Make as much money as the market will allow. They aren't forcing anyone to pay for that vehicle. Not a single person.

As soon as the market is back to normal and they can't do this kind of stuff they will come back to being competitive and nobody will remember this event.

If you are against ADM's, you also shouldn't sell your used car for the inflated values out there right now.
Totally agree, nobody is forcing you to buy the truck.

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
They probably fall asleep with a smile on their face. It's all about the money. That's all that matters.
People act like its a morality issue to sell something for more profit if the market will bear it, as if they have never done that in their life. Selling a house, used cars firearms etc etc......
Sponsored