AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C5, SC430, 67XKE, 08 XJR, 78 F250, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good for that dealership. Make as much money as the market will allow. They aren't forcing anyone to pay for that vehicle. Not a single person.

As soon as the market is back to normal and they can't do this kind of stuff they will come back to being competitive and nobody will remember this event.

If you are against ADM's, you also shouldn't sell your used car for the inflated values out there right now.
I have no issue with ADM per se. I'm a capitalist sell it for what the market will bear. My complaint comes in like most of us on this site has ordered theirs through Ford and basically the dealer has done nothing more than the paperwork. The dealer is not paying flooring cost or any of the stuff required to have inventory. Your wait the 12 or 15 years it takes to get your Maverick built, and then the dealer tries to throw the ADM on when your truck finally arrives. And that is BS. I think in some cases dealers are intentionally doing that to try to get people to walk away from their order so the dealer will end up with the inventory basically floored for free. And yes that kind of crap needs to be cracked down on. There is a difference between fair market capitalism and screwing people over. Show me another situation where a person can order a product at an agreed upon price and when it's time to go pick up that product the seller goes oh by the way we're attaching another x amount percentage on top of the agreed upon price and if you don't like it go order another one and wait another 12 or 15 years to get it.
Sponsored

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is exactly what I'm afraid my dealership will do. My worst fear is waiting all this time waiting for it just so they can sneak in a $5-10K markup and really make me decide if I wanna go forward with it. I'm hoping that since my dealer advertises upfront pricing and no dealer fees, they will actually follow that business model and give me the vehicle at MSRP, especially considering that I ordered it and not picked it from the lot as a stock unit. For anyone that is interested, I'm getting it from Mullinax Ford in South Florida so if anyone knows whether this chain marks up their cars or not, please let me know.

Mavhead

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan versa
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@ Ford of Montebello, SoCal

676p14ozjhc81 (1).jpg

676p14ozjhc81.jpg
Is that how you say that you hate capitalism without actually saying it? Do you stand outside of Walmarts in a chicken suit saying how horrible Walmart is for making a profit off of the merchandise they buy?

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
This is exactly what I'm afraid my dealership will do. My worst fear is waiting all this time waiting for it just so they can sneak in a $5-10K markup and really make me decide if I wanna go forward with it. I'm hoping that since my dealer advertises upfront pricing and no dealer fees, they will actually follow that business model and give me the vehicle at MSRP, especially considering that I ordered it and not picked it from the lot as a stock unit. For anyone that is interested, I'm getting it from Mullinax Ford in South Florida so if anyone knows whether this chain marks up their cars or not, please let me know.
You know, you could just be forward with your dealership and ask them, point blank, if they are going to charge you MSRP or not. It's not going to be set in stone, necessarily, but being open with that conversation should at least give you an idea what your chances are and let's them know your expectations. Also, have that conversation with a sales manager, not a salesman, since the manager would be the one setting any markups anyway.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford's records show you control the Mav with your DL and signature (even if you gave no down payment) so the dealer has to honor the price on your order form. Think about it, if the order form means nothing, then the dealer would not call you when you truck arrives and sell it to some sucker on the lot +15k.

Check with your atty but IMO basic business law says the order form's offer + your signed acceptance = Contract.

A contract does not need to be 10 pages of fine print to be valid. Someone wrote that he won a court case just based on text messages. If your signed order form at msrp meant nothing it would be the BAIT. Then if the dealer tried to unilaterally make a one-sided decision on some random future price increase after you sign, that would be the SWITCH.

Don't let them bully you into agreeing to a new price by saying they will sell it to someone else if you do not buy it. Don't get mad and walk either, they will probably laugh as you leave. They will tell Ford you canceled and will then have no obligation to you any more.

And do not let them charge you anything that is not on your order form, like dealer adds and ex warranty. Anything the finance manager makes an extra commission on must mean it is overpriced. If you really want a warranty, buy Car Shield or some other program in 3 years. Buying it now would be a waste if you decide to sell the truck before then anyway.

Last edited:

Sponsored

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's crazy! 😵💫

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Good for that dealership. Make as much money as the market will allow. They aren't forcing anyone to pay for that vehicle. Not a single person.

As soon as the market is back to normal and they can't do this kind of stuff they will come back to being competitive and nobody will remember this event.

If you are against ADM's, you also shouldn't sell your used car for the inflated values out there right now.
Good thing that dealership doesn't have folks waiting for an order.....possibly the same truck as that one ...... Cause that would be a jacked up ordering system where people waiting months for a truck don't get the option to purchase those sweet old "allocations" before the dealership marks it up 15K .......

Dohaman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT with Lux Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford's records show you control the Mav with your DL and signature (even if you gave no down payment) so the dealer has to honor the price on your order form. Think about it, if the order form means nothing, then the dealer would not call you when you truck arrives and sell it to some sucker on the lot +15k.

Check with your atty but IMO basic business law says the order form's offer + your signed acceptance = Contract.

A contract does not need to be 10 pages of fine print to be valid. Someone wrote that he won a court case just based on text messages. If your signed order form at msrp meant nothing it would be the BAIT. Then if the dealer tried to unilaterally make a one-sided decision on some future price increase after you sign, that would be the SWITCH.

Don't let them bully you into agreeing to a new price by saying they will sell it to someone else if you do not buy it. Don't get mad and walk either, they will probably laugh as you leave. They will tell Ford you canceled and will then have no obligation to you any more.

And do not let them charge you anything that is not on your order form, like dealer adds and ex warranty. Anything the finance manager makes an extra commission on must mean it is overpriced. If you really want a warranty, buy Car Shield or some other program in 3 years. Buying it now would be a waste if you decide to sell the truck before then anyway.
I agree as a former Contracting Officer with the Federal Government an agreed-to-price (purchase order) is a legally binding contract!

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah mark ups suck but lets be honest. If I could sell my Mav for that much it would have been gone yesterday. It's well in their right to do so and they wouldn't do it if some smuck wasn't gonna buy it.
Well, if we're being honest, a dealer like this really does not actually care about the customer. When that realization takes hold, it then becomes difficult to justify predatory practices, even for smucks. But hey, that's their business decision. This is why I dare predict made to order will become more common, and dealers will have less leverage to gouge people, something that reflects poorly on their brand when the front of the dealership has a big Ford logo on it.
I am certain Ford already recognizes this, and I suspect what we are seeing with the ordering processes for the Bronco, Mach E, Maverick and Lightning are test runs for their future ordering models, to hone them, see what works, what didn't, and move to simplified ordering process that aligns closer to what customers do with say a Tesla.
What say the rest of you? Curious what @fordvideoguy might see from his crystal ball of experience.

Sponsored

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These stealerships seem to be a dime a dozen. There are suckers born everyday that will pay it like fools. If everyone did the smart thing and walked away, they would have a lot full over over priced unsellable vehicles.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have a reservation I will let got for $5000 markup. You should get it by this summer. Cash only.

Seriously this car dealership is really making it hard to drop the stereotype of car salesmans coke habits.

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a reservation I will let got for $5000 markup. You should get it by this summer. Cash only.

Seriously this car dealership is really making it hard to drop the stereotype of car salesmans coke habits.
Its' Cali, they smoke buds not snort coke. Killin it in their Jos A Bank suits.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Its' Cali, they smoke buds not snort coke. Killin it in their Jos A Bank suits.
Last time I spent more than a vacation in Cali they were still on the yay-oh. Atleast the professional types were. :ROFLMAO:

mattzar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Audi A3 89 Chevy S10 20 Pacifica S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If anyone thinks the manufacturer (not just Ford) is innocent in all of this think again. Yes, they are all struggling to get parts and inventory is limited, but what they have done here is made a ton more profit per vehicle sold. Before the "big 3" needed to use rebates to entice people to buy vehicles. Sometimes upwards of $5000-7000. Now, maybe a rebate of $500. The smaller the rebate, the more money they make. The manufacturers are going to keep dealer inventory low. The dealers are more than welcome to "market adjust". However, after spending 15 years in dealerships, I feel sorry for the people buying these vehicles at high prices. If an when things get back to a so called normal people will be buried in their vehicles. They were before all of these shortages.
The lower inventory, means higher profits and easier time changing over to EV models as the government forces them to do so. Anyway sorry for the ramble.
Sponsored