First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well I have had more than enough time to get acclimated to this truck and all its nuances. Well, technically two trucks for those of you who know the long, still on going story. Well here goes.

This truck has completely changed the way I drive. That has attributed to impressive MPGs that I did not see coming. As of today I am up to 9500 miles on this truck. It drives highways 120 miles per day most days with some back roads mixed in. I am at 39.2 MPGs combined and its still going up. My lesser mile gauge is at 40.6 MPGs. Not hard to do. I run about 4 MPH over the posted limits. Pretty simple. I also run Eco mode religiously.

The ride is still impressive. My wife now hates my 350. It rides like what it is, a truck on an SUV frame. I have zero complaints in that department. The tires suck and I want to replace them. But that time will come.

I have little issues with the electronics. After Ford's update for the radio that issue is gone.

I have had the trans shudder a few times. Always going from ICE to Electric. One time, however, it shuddered hard. It would not go back in to electric mode. Like it missed the shift. After a few miles of trying I pulled into a gas station. It went to electric like nothing ever happened. Hasn't happened since.

I went up and down a steep mountain grade a few times. Going up the MPGs are impressive. Better than my 350 and I did not expect that. Going down was an experience on its own. The engine brake tried to hold the truck but it could not do it. Low made it sound like it would blow up. So regular eco it was with the occasional break tap.

I have loaded the bed with my work tools as much as I could. I found it at the same time both enough space and not enough. I made it work, but would have like to have a little more. It held everything, but would not have with a tonneau cover. It also made me want 3 more inches or so of depth. But it does work and Im not upset about it.

Truck still has great power. Merging or passing, it has not let me down.

Oil change intervals are AWESOME. I have 9900 miles on it and changed it at 2k miles. I still have 41% oil life left. 7900 miles and its just over half gone. Credit the truck for running on electric and not using the engine.

Ford Pass has worked well and I even use it on my Alexa. Great to wake up and tell it to turn on the truck and getting out to a warm or cool truck. Its nice to know Im checking out in the grocery store and can come out to a cold truck on a hot day.

This truck is jinxed for plywood. I have tried on more than one occasion to go get plywood. Hasn't happened yet due to multiple reasons. So cant review that part of it.

At the end of the day I have to force myself once a couple of weeks to drive my 350. I wish this truck was around years ago. It has saved me thousands in fuel costs over the 350(done on a calculator). This is one of the favorite trucks I have ever owned no matter the brand or size.
Sponsored

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great review, thanks for the info.
If I remember correctly, the phenomenon of getting better mpg's because of the feedback of the mileage info has been called "The Prius Effect", right? I know that even with my Expedition, if I pay attention to it, I naturally tend to drive in such a way that I get better mileage.
Like you, I tend to run about 4 over. I once had a policeman buddy tell me he does that, because "no cop in the world will write you a ticket for 4 over". So I haven't had a ticket in almost 14 years, but also I tend to set the cruise and ignore the urge to kick in the turbo's on my Expedition.
I just ran "up north" for the weekend, and my average mileage (for the last 3500 or so) actually increased from 19.7 to 20.2, so I'm guessing I must have gotten about 23 mpg this past weekend.

Long lead in, but the bottom line is I can't wait to see what the Maverick will do. I have my "your truck is shipped" email, so it should be in my hands in a month or so. 20.2 mpg is nice, but I'm expecting with the Mav to average about 38 or so.

I know I'll love it, I know the mileage will be great ..... my only concern is that I need to go back to the dealer several times to get little problems fixed. First year of production, I'm expecting to run into that.

arseatea

First Name
Reggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2011 Lexus ES350, 2004 Ford ST
Engine
Undecided
I ordered mine in November and as yet have not heard anything about it. I did put in a call to the dealer today and they will return my call tomorrow. I am wondering how the ride itself is. I have an Explorer Sport Trac with a wheel base of 130.5" and the ride is very comfortable. The Maverick is shorter @ 121". I am wondering if the Maverick ride will be as good with the shorter wheel base. What is your opinion?

Ponyprez

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang 2+2, 2008 Shelby GT500, 2015 Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well I have had more than enough time to get acclimated to this truck and all its nuances. Well, technically two trucks for those of you who know the long, still on going story. Well here goes.

This truck has completely changed the way I drive. That has attributed to impressive MPGs that I did not see coming. As of today I am up to 9500 miles on this truck. It drives highways 120 miles per day most days with some back roads mixed in. I am at 39.2 MPGs combined and its still going up. My lesser mile gauge is at 40.6 MPGs. Not hard to do. I run about 4 MPH over the posted limits. Pretty simple. I also run Eco mode religiously.

The ride is still impressive. My wife now hates my 350. It rides like what it is, a truck on an SUV frame. I have zero complaints in that department. The tires suck and I want to replace them. But that time will come.

I have little issues with the electronics. After Ford's update for the radio that issue is gone.

I have had the trans shudder a few times. Always going from ICE to Electric. One time, however, it shuddered hard. It would not go back in to electric mode. Like it missed the shift. After a few miles of trying I pulled into a gas station. It went to electric like nothing ever happened. Hasn't happened since.

I went up and down a steep mountain grade a few times. Going up the MPGs are impressive. Better than my 350 and I did not expect that. Going down was an experience on its own. The engine brake tried to hold the truck but it could not do it. Low made it sound like it would blow up. So regular eco it was with the occasional break tap.

I have loaded the bed with my work tools as much as I could. I found it at the same time both enough space and not enough. I made it work, but would have like to have a little more. It held everything, but would not have with a tonneau cover. It also made me want 3 more inches or so of depth. But it does work and Im not upset about it.

Oil change intervals are AWESOME. I have 9900 miles on it and changed it at 2k miles. I still have 41% oil life left. 7900 miles and its just over half gone. Credit the truck for running on electric and not using the engine.

Ford Pass has worked well and I even use it on my Alexa. Great to wake up and tell it to turn on the truck and getting out to a warm or cool truck. Its nice to know Im checking out in the grocery store and can come out to a cold truck on a hot day.

This truck is jinxed for plywood. I have tried on more than one occasion to go get plywood. Hasn't happened yet due to multiple reasons. So cant review that part of it.

At the end of the day I have to force myself once a couple of weeks to drive my 350. I wish this truck was around years ago. It has saved me thousands in fuel costs over the 350(done on a calculator). This is one of the favorite trucks I have ever owned no matter the brand or size.
Thank you for a great review and pointing out both good and bad. I have tried multiple times to order mine (August 21 and forward) but am now awaiting the 23 model year opening for orders. You touched base on the ride but can you tell me how it absorbs bumps as I am dealing with back issues and will need a smoother ride. I have owned many small trucks in the past and they were not to bad with my last being a 99 Ranger extended cab.

Deleted member 1483

Awesome. All I can add is engine braking is safe even if it’s loud.

Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
About the 3" of depth you wish you had. Makes me think back to the old days when guys would put in stakes on the side and plywood bolted on. And that makes wonder if anybody makes a nice VERTICAL bed extender?

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for a great review and pointing out both good and bad. I have tried multiple times to order mine (August 21 and forward) but am now awaiting the 23 model year opening for orders. You touched base on the ride but can you tell me how it absorbs bumps as I am dealing with back issues and will need a smoother ride. I have owned many small trucks in the past and they were not to bad with my last being a 99 Ranger extended cab.
This handles bumps very well for a truck and/or SUV.....its still not a car though

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered mine in November and as yet have not heard anything about it. I did put in a call to the dealer today and they will return my call tomorrow. I am wondering how the ride itself is. I have an Explorer Sport Trac with a wheel base of 130.5" and the ride is very comfortable. The Maverick is shorter @ 121". I am wondering if the Maverick ride will be as good with the shorter wheel base. What is your opinion?
It's rides nearly as well as our old titanium escape.....there are time I know I have an empty bed. Please keep in mind I live on horrible roads....in town this ride is smooth as silk

BobR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux FWD, Maverick XLT AWD FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2022 XLT EB with the FX4 AWD option. This one is my wifes car as I am waiting to order a Hybrid Lariat in August for myself.
My wife has had 5 back surgeries and says it rides better than her Toyota Venza did. We live 1/2 mile down a washed out dirt road too. The AWD has a few differences in the rear suspension though.
She is loving it.

Barbara Hollar

First Name
Me n my mav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
I am glad to hear your comment, i was worried about getting the hybrid, the more i read up on this. can't wait to get the email from Ford stating my truck is in production

Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Just curious - why did you buy a 350? You obviously can get by with the Maverick so --- Curious was th3 350 an awesome truck that you really wanted at the time or do you haul and tow where an F150 would not do it? The only reason I ask is because I made a mistake 6 years back purchasing a Tacoma - I put big tires on it then - never once took it off road. It was expensive and way more than I needed. Well the Maverick changed all that. I corrected my mistake and never looked back. Love my Mav.

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just curious - why did you buy a 350? You obviously can get by with the Maverick so --- Curious was th3 350 an awesome truck that you really wanted at the time or do you haul and tow where an F150 would not do it? The only reason I ask is because I made a mistake 6 years back purchasing a Tacoma - I put big tires on it then - never once took it off road. It was expensive and way more than I needed. Well the Maverick changed all that. I corrected my mistake and never looked back. Love my Mav.
I have had my 350 for years. I cannot get by with just the mav....even with the 4k towing. I bought the 359 because even though at the time my 150 would pull everything I have, the 350 got much better mpgs. Now I can actually load 13 to 14k on my 350. The mav was not bought to be a truck but rather a gas saver. I was looking at cars when it struck my eye.

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would recommend you stop wasting money on that nitrogen fill nonsense. They will advertise things like how airplanes use it as proof that you need it for your car. You don't. The atmosphere air is already mostly nitrogen. The reason why airplanes need it is because in the course of flying, the temperatures will vary from hot at the ground to below freezing while in the air. So they need the air in their tires to be inert so that those changes in temperatures don't end up causing the tires to be at the wrong pressures when they go to land. Cars on the ground do not experience these quick changes through a driving session. The tiny bit of variation in pressure due to ambient air temperature changes for a car would be completely negligible. It's almost a scam, just easy money for dealerships and shops. Like how they make it seem like you need to cut your rotors every time you get your brake pads changed (spoiler alert,: you don't, and you shouldn't). I used to work as a tech at a dealership so I saw it first hand...

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would recommend you stop wasting money on that nitrogen fill nonsense. They will advertise things like how airplanes use it as proof that you need it for your car. You don't. The atmosphere air is already mostly nitrogen. The reason why airplanes need it is because in the course of flying, the temperatures will vary from hot at the ground to below freezing while in the air. So they need the air in their tires to be inert so that those changes in temperatures don't end up causing the tires to be at the wrong pressures when they go to land. Cars on the ground do not experience these quick changes through a driving session. The tiny bit of variation in pressure due to ambient air temperature changes for a car would be completely negligible. It's almost a scam, just easy money for dealerships and shops. Like how they make it seem like you need to cut your rotors every time you get your brake pads changed (spoiler alert,: you don't, and you shouldn't). I used to work as a tech at a dealership so I saw it first hand...
Where did nitrogen come into this?

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost