First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey everyone! Long time no post - last time was my 6k review and sadly, I never got around to finishing it for various and sundry reasons (nothing bad, all good!). So I’m going to make a re-do - and I’ll try to be as comprehensive as possible but still somewhat brief. So here we go!

Model and Description

You probably already know all this by now, but if you stumbled across this review or are new here, welcome! The Ford Maverick is true “small truck,” except that it’s not. Built on a unibody platform shared with the Escape and the Bronco sport, the Maverick is something of a modern-day interpretation of the “ute” - think “El Camino” or “Ranchero,” but in “Crossover SUV” form. The result is something that’s more compact and technically “less capable” than Ford’s larger body-on-frame trucks, but is more efficient and has a more car-like ride. It comes in three trim levels: XL, XLT, and Lariat; and all three can be had in either hybrid or turbo (EcoBoost) configurations. The turbo models can be further configured into either FWD or AWD, with an optional 4,000-lb towing package available for AWD drive models (all other hybrid and turbo models come standard with a 2,000-lb towing rating). Mine is a 2022 Maverick EcoBoost XL in FWD, with the only additions being a tow hitch and a power moonroof. I ordered from Town & Country Ford in Bessemer, AL in September 2021 and received it March 30, 2022, and I paid a sticker of $23,300 plus taxes and fees.

Exterior Design

Ford Maverick 10K Mile In-Depth Review - 2022 Maverick XL EcoBoost FWD Library - 1 of 1

Despite having more in common with the sleek, Porsche Macan-like Escape, the Maverick shares its looks with larger trucks in the Ford lineup. Despite being something of a “compact” truck, it’s really not all that small, especially compared to crossovers. Despite having a surprisingly spacious 5-passenger cabin, Ford managed to give the Maverick a 4.5’ bed, only about 6” off from a number of mid-size body-on-frame trucks. Additionally, the bed, which Ford calls “Flex Bed,” has a number of features that make it quite useful. Due to its low floor and relatively low ride height, it’s easy to reach in and out of the bed from the sides. The XL comes standard with four D-ring tie-downs in the bed and two 12-volt leads, but XLT and Lariat models gain additional functionality with more tie-downs and an extra lockable side compartment. All Mavericks come with a 1,500lb payload capacity. The XL comes with 17” silver-painted steelies (which look awesome!), but XLT and Lariat models get trim-specific alloy rims.

It’s a good looking design, in my opinion, and I feel sure will age nicely. The bed is surprisingly spacious, and after making several trips with various pieces of furniture and moving a few loads of junk, I find that this is about the perfect size and depth for your weekend DIY-er (such as myself). A few more tie-downs would be nice, but these are able to be purchased or even made aftermarket.

Interior Design

Ford Maverick 10K Mile In-Depth Review - 2022 Maverick XL EcoBoost FWD Library - 2 of 2

The Maverick obviously manages to hit its low price point by sacrificing in some areas, and the interior materials are one of those places. It’s a sea of plastic - soft plastic - but manages to still be a nice place to spend time thanks to some bold colors and clever design motifs. The XL is the simplest but is, in my opinion, the nicest-looking of the bunch. The primarily cobalt blue plastic includes deep gray and black accents with black and gray cloth. XLT models use lighter color trim, denim-style cloth, and orange accents, and Lariat models use copper accents and copper-and-black leather. The only questionable design choice here is the screen, which seems to sit on the left side of a space that looks designed for a larger display - but no such display currently exists, on any trim model. The back bench is able to accommodate two adults fairly comfortably, with a fair amount of headroom and decent legroom (mostly due to heavily scalloped backs in the front seats). Additionally, there is a storage compartment below the rear bench that can be accessed by pulling a tab on either side of the bench.

The front seats are unbelievably comfortable. I’m 6’2” and 200lb, and no joke, these are the most comfortable seats I’ve ever had in any car, ever - and I once owned a 2012 Toyota Camry. They have a good amount of cushion and a fair amount of lateral bolstering. Even with only the manual back, height, and slide adjustments, I don’t find it hard to find a position that’s comfortable for long drives. It’s worth noting that while I could ride a short distance behind myself, it’s still a bit tight. Rear-facing car seats might be a bit of a challenge, but I don’t have any issues with a booster seat behind the passenger seat, and could sit my son behind me in a pinch (and I have - more on that later).

The plastics are extremely soft and scratch very easily. If fact, I have multiple spots of deep scratching and general wear on the interior plastics despite only having 10k miles. I consider it a utility vehicle and treat it as such, but luxury vehicle this is not. I feel sure the interior will hold up fine, but I doubt it will look very nice after a few years.

Driving Impressions

Ford Maverick 10K Mile In-Depth Review - 2022 Maverick XL EcoBoost FWD IMG_2391

The Ford Maverick EcoBoost puts out a healthy 250 horses and 277 lb-ft of twist, which makes short work of passing maneuvers, highway ramps, and full bed loads. The engine does not make a particularly pleasant noise when pushed, but the 8-speed automatic does a great job of putting power on tap when you want it. It’s also quite efficient: I have an admittedly pretty ideal commute with only mild grades and speed limits between 45-70mph the entire way, and I have been averaging 26mpg at worst and 29.5mpg at best (regular fuel).

The ride is compliant but firm - no doubt a result of stiff springs designed to handle hauling heavy in the bed. Just like the look and overall design, the actual handling and ride fall somewhere between a crossover SUV and a truck. Surprisingly, it can be fun. It’s neither a Miata nor a muscle car, but the Maverick feels spry, composed, and genuinely quick. The FWD model handles and delivers the power without fuss and, despite my misgivings about a front-drive truck, actually feels more confident in wet weather. The steering is light and direct, even if it is almost entirely lacking in feel. The wheels are wrapped in OEM Continental ProContact tires, which are generally pretty good on-road tires and surprised me at this price point.

Technology and Connectivity

Ford Maverick 10K Mile In-Depth Review - 2022 Maverick XL EcoBoost FWD IMG_2713

The Maverick XL comes standard with what could be charitably described as “some technology.” It is really a bit strange - it features tech and safety features such as automatic high beams but lacks cruise control (although I believe the 2023 models will now include it as standard). The remainder of the Co-Pilot 360 safety tech is also available even on the XL trim. It’s enough to get by, but drivers looking for a lot of technology might be forced to step up to the Lariat trim or look elsewhere. The infotainment system, along with the speaker system, is pretty basic. Oddly, the single-zone climate control actually has an automatic setting with a thermostat, which is a welcome addition. The radial gear selector is something I expected to hate but actually warmed up to - it does de-clutter the center console and leave plenty of space for other things.

The infotainment system is sluggish, but the UI is at least clean and easily navigable. Apple CarPlay does not work wirelessly, so I had to pick up a cheap USB-C to Lightning cable to connect to my iPhone. The infotainment’s bluetooth reception is absolutely garbage - frequently, it fails to connect, fails to play back audio, fails to call, fails to answer, and the audio quality is generally poor across all fronts. Using CarPlay through a physical connection improves audio quality significantly, and after breaking in the speakers, the six-speaker sound system is honestly pretty good. However, even CarPlay is glitchy, with my most commonly-encountered issue being audio playback over the iPhone speakers and calls defaulting to headset instead of defaulting to the sound system. I find it to be most reliable if nothing is playing or no call is held while turning on the vehicle and while plugging the phone in. The connectivity issues are a significant letdown here and fall below the performance of my previous vehicle, a 2011 Ford Fusion.

Any problems?

Ford Maverick 10K Mile In-Depth Review - 2022 Maverick XL EcoBoost FWD Library - 1 of 1 (1)

Yes, actually a fairly significant one, too. Around 8k miles, the master switch for the power windows went out in my driver door while rolling the rear passenger window down. This caused the window to be stuck down, with no way to roll it up. My local dealership prioritized me on repair appointments, but was unable to find a solution to keep the window up until the part shipped in - which took a month. This is apparently a common and known problem not just with Mavericks, but with other Ford trucks as well (I suspect many such switches use similarly sourced parts). This meant I spent almost an entire month with a window duct-taped, and it forced me to put my son’s booster seat directly behind me (which did require me to pull the seat forward a couple of inches closer than I would like it for that time). And yes, the duct tape appears to have damaged the paint somewhat. I hope I can buff it out with some polishing compound, but I am none too keen on doing anything to weaken the thin clear coat here. Ultimately, this is the sort of problem that could occur to any new production vehicle - I am not especially worried about it, but it was certainly irritating.

Any Mods?

Ford Maverick 10K Mile In-Depth Review - 2022 Maverick XL EcoBoost FWD Library - 1 of 2

None besides the Rough Country hard tri-fold tonneau cover, which I would recommend. It was inexpensive and really increases the utility of the bed. I took the truck on a beach vacation and had everything packed up in the bed; we got into a wicked rainstorm, and I found absolutely nothing wet in the bed when we got through it. It was easy to self-install and is easy to remove from the rails. The only downside is that it does not fold all the way up to the window, which means to use the entire bed open, I must remove the cover. A minor gripe for a very nice and affordable cover.

Final Thoughts

Ford Maverick 10K Mile In-Depth Review - 2022 Maverick XL EcoBoost FWD Library - 1 of 1 (2)

The Maverick is cool. I discussed that much earlier when I first got the truck, but I still get asked about it from friends and even strangers. But after driving it 10k miles, it becomes “just a truck” to me, and so I have to judge it as such. So is it a good “just a truck”? Absolutely! The Maverick represents a value proposition that most other automotive manufacturers just can’t match. Of course, you have to take the bad with the good - this is a new truck-ish ute for well-used Tacoma money, and you have to accept that they cut corners here, particularly in materials and in technology. Long-term reliability remains to be seen, although the electrical gremlin in the master switch is not especially reassuring. Still, it’s a small truck with room for my family, plenty enough power and bed capacity for a solid weekend of home improvement projects, and it still manages to be comfortable, powerful, genuinely engaging to drive, and impressively fuel efficient. I can live with the occasional connectivity frustration and easily-damaged plastics for the Honda Civic money I paid.

Would I recommend it to others? Absolutely, but still with some reservations - you have to have a trustworthy dealer, be willing to deal with delays, and you have to really want a bed. There are conceivably situations where someone might find they’d rather have a hatch or a trunk, and there are certainly situations where getting one of these in a timely fashion at a reasonable price is nearly impossible. But for those who have the time and have the need, the Maverick is a pretty unbeatable value proposition. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off and it is one of my favorite vehicles that I’ve owned. Provided it holds up over time, I do not see changing my mind any time soon.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for your detailed review. Always interesting to hear owners experiences with their Mavericks.

A Sturdy Beast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lucky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mav XL Hybrid, Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
[... said:

Nice real life review, I like that you mention the warts as well as the good. Your photos are great.

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just hit 11,000 miles yesterday. As an XL Ecoboost FWD owner, I agree with this post. However, even though I travel regularly with my dog (a rat terrier) I'm not experiencing the scratches in the plastic everyone else is complaining about. I would probably attribute this to the fact that she isn't keen on car rides unlike most "normal" dogs who are excited about car rides, and stays pretty submissive so she's not jumping from window to window. I've at least been able to wean her off taking doggie trazadone and anti-nausea meds for long trips.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice review! My XL EB FWD is just over 1000 miles, but I'm liking it. Would I recommend people get one off Carvana for $32K? Nope. But if you have a good dealer and you're getting it around the price point Ford intended, the value and functionality are second to none.

Sponsored

A Sturdy Beast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lucky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mav XL Hybrid, Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just hit 11,000 miles yesterday. As an XL Ecoboost FWD owner, I agree with this post. However, even though I travel regularly with my dog (a rat terrier) I'm not experiencing the scratches in the plastic everyone else is complaining about. I would probably attribute this to the fact that she isn't keen on car rides unlike most "normal" dogs who are excited about car rides, and stays pretty submissive so she's not jumping from window to window. I've at least been able to wean her off taking doggie trazadone and anti-nausea meds for long trips.
I wonder if there are multiple suppliers for the interior plastic? Or maybe, a lot of variation in the batch quality. A lot of people say it scratches if you look at it wrong, many others say no problems at all.

OP
OP
Clifdawg

Clifdawg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder if there are multiple suppliers for the interior plastic? Or maybe, a lot of variation in the batch quality. A lot of people say it scratches if you look at it wrong, many others say no problems at all.
Interesting thought. I’ve noticed this too based on various comments here and elsewhere.

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I enjoyed reading your review. I'm not quite there yet on mileage since I only have an eight-minute commute to work every day but I couldn't agree more on the value proposition. Nothing this versatile at this price point can compete until the other mainstream manufacturers start to play catch-up. It drives incredibly well, the seats are very comfortable (I'm never achy or wanting to stretch after long trips), the fuel economy is decent on the Ecoboost (averaging 25-27 mpg at any given time) and it looks the part.

I'm always getting stares at it wherever I go despite these being more common now. I went from seeing one once a month to now a couple times a week. Despite this, I always get compliments and stares on the road. Since I've had to compromise on vehicles in the past, it was about time for me to get something I really wanted and this Maverick gave me that opportunity. It was the first time I've had to special-order a vehicle and I was fortunate to be in the same boat as you regarding wait time. I also ordered in September 2021 and took delivery on March 18, 2022. I intend on keeping this in the long run as well hoping that reliability ensues. Thanks for sharing and keep on truckin'!

Ford Maverick 10K Mile In-Depth Review - 2022 Maverick XL EcoBoost FWD 20220818_084557

Deleted member 1370

Hey everyone! Long time no post - last time was my 6k review and sadly, I never got around to finishing it for various and sundry reasons (nothing bad, all good!). So I’m going to make a re-do - and I’ll try to be as comprehensive as possible but still somewhat brief. So here we go!

Model and Description

You probably already know all this by now, but if you stumbled across this review or are new here, welcome! The Ford Maverick is true “small truck,” except that it’s not. Built on a unibody platform shared with the Escape and the Bronco sport, the Maverick is something of a modern-day interpretation of the “ute” - think “El Camino” or “Ranchero,” but in “Crossover SUV” form. The result is something that’s more compact and technically “less capable” than Ford’s larger body-on-frame trucks, but is more efficient and has a more car-like ride. It comes in three trim levels: XL, XLT, and Lariat; and all three can be had in either hybrid or turbo (EcoBoost) configurations. The turbo models can be further configured into either FWD or AWD, with an optional 4,000-lb towing package available for AWD drive models (all other hybrid and turbo models come standard with a 2,000-lb towing rating). Mine is a 2022 Maverick EcoBoost XL in FWD, with the only additions being a tow hitch and a power moonroof. I ordered from Town & Country Ford in Bessemer, AL in September 2021 and received it March 30, 2022, and I paid a sticker of $23,300 plus taxes and fees.

Exterior Design

Library - 1 of 1.jpeg

Despite having more in common with the sleek, Porsche Macan-like Escape, the Maverick shares its looks with larger trucks in the Ford lineup. Despite being something of a “compact” truck, it’s really not all that small, especially compared to crossovers. Despite having a surprisingly spacious 5-passenger cabin, Ford managed to give the Maverick a 4.5’ bed, only about 6” off from a number of mid-size body-on-frame trucks. Additionally, the bed, which Ford calls “Flex Bed,” has a number of features that make it quite useful. Due to its low floor and relatively low ride height, it’s easy to reach in and out of the bed from the sides. The XL comes standard with four D-ring tie-downs in the bed and two 12-volt leads, but XLT and Lariat models gain additional functionality with more tie-downs and an extra lockable side compartment. All Mavericks come with a 1,500lb payload capacity. The XL comes with 17” silver-painted steelies (which look awesome!), but XLT and Lariat models get trim-specific alloy rims.

It’s a good looking design, in my opinion, and I feel sure will age nicely. The bed is surprisingly spacious, and after making several trips with various pieces of furniture and moving a few loads of junk, I find that this is about the perfect size and depth for your weekend DIY-er (such as myself). A few more tie-downs would be nice, but these are able to be purchased or even made aftermarket.

Interior Design

Library - 2 of 2.jpeg

The Maverick obviously manages to hit its low price point by sacrificing in some areas, and the interior materials are one of those places. It’s a sea of plastic - soft plastic - but manages to still be a nice place to spend time thanks to some bold colors and clever design motifs. The XL is the simplest but is, in my opinion, the nicest-looking of the bunch. The primarily cobalt blue plastic includes deep gray and black accents with black and gray cloth. XLT models use lighter color trim, denim-style cloth, and orange accents, and Lariat models use copper accents and copper-and-black leather. The only questionable design choice here is the screen, which seems to sit on the left side of a space that looks designed for a larger display - but no such display currently exists, on any trim model. The back bench is able to accommodate two adults fairly comfortably, with a fair amount of headroom and decent legroom (mostly due to heavily scalloped backs in the front seats). Additionally, there is a storage compartment below the rear bench that can be accessed by pulling a tab on either side of the bench.

The front seats are unbelievably comfortable. I’m 6’2” and 200lb, and no joke, these are the most comfortable seats I’ve ever had in any car, ever - and I once owned a 2012 Toyota Camry. They have a good amount of cushion and a fair amount of lateral bolstering. Even with only the manual back, height, and slide adjustments, I don’t find it hard to find a position that’s comfortable for long drives. It’s worth noting that while I could ride a short distance behind myself, it’s still a bit tight. Rear-facing car seats might be a bit of a challenge, but I don’t have any issues with a booster seat behind the passenger seat, and could sit my son behind me in a pinch (and I have - more on that later).

The plastics are extremely soft and scratch very easily. If fact, I have multiple spots of deep scratching and general wear on the interior plastics despite only having 10k miles. I consider it a utility vehicle and treat it as such, but luxury vehicle this is not. I feel sure the interior will hold up fine, but I doubt it will look very nice after a few years.

Driving Impressions

IMG_2391.jpeg

The Ford Maverick EcoBoost puts out a healthy 250 horses and 277 lb-ft of twist, which makes short work of passing maneuvers, highway ramps, and full bed loads. The engine does not make a particularly pleasant noise when pushed, but the 8-speed automatic does a great job of putting power on tap when you want it. It’s also quite efficient: I have an admittedly pretty ideal commute with only mild grades and speed limits between 45-70mph the entire way, and I have been averaging 26mpg at worst and 29.5mpg at best (regular fuel).

The ride is compliant but firm - no doubt a result of stiff springs designed to handle hauling heavy in the bed. Just like the look and overall design, the actual handling and ride fall somewhere between a crossover SUV and a truck. Surprisingly, it can be fun. It’s neither a Miata nor a muscle car, but the Maverick feels spry, composed, and genuinely quick. The FWD model handles and delivers the power without fuss and, despite my misgivings about a front-drive truck, actually feels more confident in wet weather. The steering is light and direct, even if it is almost entirely lacking in feel. The wheels are wrapped in OEM Continental ProContact tires, which are generally pretty good on-road tires and surprised me at this price point.

Technology and Connectivity

IMG_2713.jpeg

The Maverick XL comes standard with what could be charitably described as “some technology.” It is really a bit strange - it features tech and safety features such as automatic high beams but lacks cruise control (although I believe the 2023 models will now include it as standard). The remainder of the Co-Pilot 360 safety tech is also available even on the XL trim. It’s enough to get by, but drivers looking for a lot of technology might be forced to step up to the Lariat trim or look elsewhere. The infotainment system, along with the speaker system, is pretty basic. Oddly, the single-zone climate control actually has an automatic setting with a thermostat, which is a welcome addition. The radial gear selector is something I expected to hate but actually warmed up to - it does de-clutter the center console and leave plenty of space for other things.

The infotainment system is sluggish, but the UI is at least clean and easily navigable. Apple CarPlay does not work wirelessly, so I had to pick up a cheap USB-C to Lightning cable to connect to my iPhone. The infotainment’s bluetooth reception is absolutely garbage - frequently, it fails to connect, fails to play back audio, fails to call, fails to answer, and the audio quality is generally poor across all fronts. Using CarPlay through a physical connection improves audio quality significantly, and after breaking in the speakers, the six-speaker sound system is honestly pretty good. However, even CarPlay is glitchy, with my most commonly-encountered issue being audio playback over the iPhone speakers and calls defaulting to headset instead of defaulting to the sound system. I find it to be most reliable if nothing is playing or no call is held while turning on the vehicle and while plugging the phone in. The connectivity issues are a significant letdown here and fall below the performance of my previous vehicle, a 2011 Ford Fusion.

Any problems?

Library - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg

Yes, actually a fairly significant one, too. Around 8k miles, the master switch for the power windows went out in my driver door while rolling the rear passenger window down. This caused the window to be stuck down, with no way to roll it up. My local dealership prioritized me on repair appointments, but was unable to find a solution to keep the window up until the part shipped in - which took a month. This is apparently a common and known problem not just with Mavericks, but with other Ford trucks as well (I suspect many such switches use similarly sourced parts). This meant I spent almost an entire month with a window duct-taped, and it forced me to put my son’s booster seat directly behind me (which did require me to pull the seat forward a couple of inches closer than I would like it for that time). And yes, the duct tape appears to have damaged the paint somewhat. I hope I can buff it out with some polishing compound, but I am none too keen on doing anything to weaken the thin clear coat here. Ultimately, this is the sort of problem that could occur to any new production vehicle - I am not especially worried about it, but it was certainly irritating.

Any Mods?

Library - 1 of 2.jpeg

None besides the Rough Country hard tri-fold tonneau cover, which I would recommend. It was inexpensive and really increases the utility of the bed. I took the truck on a beach vacation and had everything packed up in the bed; we got into a wicked rainstorm, and I found absolutely nothing wet in the bed when we got through it. It was easy to self-install and is easy to remove from the rails. The only downside is that it does not fold all the way up to the window, which means to use the entire bed open, I must remove the cover. A minor gripe for a very nice and affordable cover.

Final Thoughts

Library - 1 of 1 (2).jpeg

The Maverick is cool. I discussed that much earlier when I first got the truck, but I still get asked about it from friends and even strangers. But after driving it 10k miles, it becomes “just a truck” to me, and so I have to judge it as such. So is it a good “just a truck”? Absolutely! The Maverick represents a value proposition that most other automotive manufacturers just can’t match. Of course, you have to take the bad with the good - this is a new truck-ish ute for well-used Tacoma money, and you have to accept that they cut corners here, particularly in materials and in technology. Long-term reliability remains to be seen, although the electrical gremlin in the master switch is not especially reassuring. Still, it’s a small truck with room for my family, plenty enough power and bed capacity for a solid weekend of home improvement projects, and it still manages to be comfortable, powerful, genuinely engaging to drive, and impressively fuel efficient. I can live with the occasional connectivity frustration and easily-damaged plastics for the Honda Civic money I paid.

Would I recommend it to others? Absolutely, but still with some reservations - you have to have a trustworthy dealer, be willing to deal with delays, and you have to really want a bed. There are conceivably situations where someone might find they’d rather have a hatch or a trunk, and there are certainly situations where getting one of these in a timely fashion at a reasonable price is nearly impossible. But for those who have the time and have the need, the Maverick is a pretty unbeatable value proposition. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off and it is one of my favorite vehicles that I’ve owned. Provided it holds up over time, I do not see changing my mind any time soon.
Amazing review! I especially agree with you on the not terribly pleasant noise the 2.0 makes. But oh well, it could be worse I suppose. Mine at Times under acceleration sounds a bit like inbetween a sewing machine and a WWI biplane. Granted mines one of the first 5000 or so made so that may be a factor
Sponsored