First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I understand the concept of controlled deformation as it pertains to accidents, but the item in question is made of quite thin plastic resin and weighs a little over a pound. I'll use it on one of my vehicles as a step, but I'm under no illusion that it will protect anything but the most minor parking lot tap. My limited research suggests the better options are made from steel.

https://www.junkyardmob.com/misc/hitch-bumper-guard
Sponsored

PNWMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good thing you all moved to the side of the road as to not impede the flow of traffic for others out on the road! 🙄
It is taught in high school Driver's Education that in this scenario, a small accident with both vehicles operational, you are to drive to the nearest clear pull-off. You are not to block traffic or stay on the road.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is taught in high school Driver's Education that in this scenario, a small accident with both vehicles operational, you are to drive to the nearest clear pull-off. You are not to block traffic or stay on the road.
Correct....

Barksdale123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I did not have the hitch step just the hitch, had a Silverado 1500 run into us at a decent speed, Maverick was un scathed the Chevy front end was messed up pretty bad.
Love to see pics. I thought Mavs folded. Moneque vs Steel rail frame, ?????

r8drskullz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Douglas J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i recently bought that exact step for that exact reason. my mini crumple zone. i'm glad it works!
I like that rear camera setup, what brand or model is it?

Sponsored

dlhort1955

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did that once on a freeway off ramp. I was the rear car and put a hole in my bumper from the trailer hitch of the car in front of me. No other damage. The lady I hit refused to move until the police showed up about 20 minutes later. Luckily there was a right turn lane and straight lane so traffic realized they could drive around us. Concrete curbs on both sides so I could not get around her to get off the ramp.

DK967

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Cactus Gray, AWD, 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Prius vs Maverick

Ford Maverick Got rear ended this morning - hitch step saved my Mav IMG_3667
Ford Maverick Got rear ended this morning - hitch step saved my Mav IMG_3665

My experience was with my ball hitch vs a Prius driver who rear-ended me.

My truck was visually barely scathed (the Prius was another story!) but unfortunately my Maverick was later found to have a bent frame. No shop in my area would or could fix it. Rather than keep the vehicle as a difficult to insure “salvage vehicle” I took the total loss payout from insurance. Bye bye Maverick after just a few months of driving.

I think the steel ball hitch is a blessing and a curse. It prevented damage to the truck tailgate/bumper/tail bed but increased the chance of a bent frame. I still don’t know if using a ball hitch or nothing at all would have been the better choice.

I’ve seen several other Maverick posts about bent frames after seemingly minor accidents so if you’re in a rear-end (especially if you have a hitch receiver) I think checking your frame is a good idea.

OP
OP
BoboysTruck

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Prius vs Maverick

IMG_3667.jpeg
IMG_3665.jpeg

My experience was with my ball hitch vs a Prius driver who rear-ended me.

My truck was visually barely scathed (the Prius was another story!) but unfortunately my Maverick was later found to have a bent frame. No shop in my area would or could fix it. Rather than keep the vehicle as a difficult to insure “salvage vehicle” I took the total loss payout from insurance. Bye bye Maverick after just a few months of driving.

I think the steel ball hitch is a blessing and a curse. It prevented damage to the truck tailgate/bumper/tail bed but increased the chance of a bent frame. I still don’t know if using a ball hitch or nothing at all would have been the better choice.

I’ve seen several other Maverick posts about bent frames after seemingly minor accidents so if you’re in a rear-end (especially if you have a hitch receiver) I think checking your frame is a good idea.
That is ridiculous. Sorry to hear that. Would love to have seen pictures of the damage. Any idea how fast he was going?

Those with metal hitch step, take note. Who knows if a plastic one would have made a difference. I like to think it would have.

I made the holes between the locking pin and the step on my new one bigger to weaken the walls and act as a crumple zone. The walls are too thick the way it is. I don't know if that'll act the way I hope it would and at least minimize the damage to my Maverick if I get rear ended and not suffer the fate your Maverick did. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

MavJet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A friend of mine was in a pile up and hit a truck with a hitch and ball. His insurance company said they were not paying for the damage to the truck and would be suing for the front end damage to his car since its illegal to drive with the hitch installed without pulling something.

Police may not be cracking down on having a hitch left on all the time, but when it costs insurance companies money they will take action where it’s illegal to have something stick out past the bumper.

Not worth having anything installed.

null98115

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Karmann Ghia, Westfalia, Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
should have called the cops anyways
Unless someone is injured or traffic is being blocked, the police won't come for a minor fender bender in Seattle - or if they do it'll be hours.

Sponsored

Automan21

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Subaru WRX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless someone is injured or traffic is being blocked, the police won't come for a minor fender bender in Seattle - or if they do it'll be hours.
Same in NYC

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting. Around here it's not a problem - what happens with you when it's time for someone to assess who's at fault? Without the cops coming to the scene it's pretty much one driver's word against another's and in case of a tie likely your insurance company just ends up finding you at fault.
Sponsored