First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A few days ago I posted my install of some D-Rings to the deck of my XL's bed. To reiterate what I said in that post, The Maverick XL does not come with all of the tie down points that the XLT and Lariat get, I wanted those tie downs so I did it myself.

Ford Maverick XL Rear Cargo Bed Tie Down D-Rings Install (with DIY writeup how-to instructions and pictures) 20211103_221823c

So with that being said these are going to be what is being installed.

Ford Maverick XL Rear Cargo Bed Tie Down D-Rings Install (with DIY writeup how-to instructions and pictures) 20211103_224120

The items you will need for the install are as follows
"Ford" tie down hooks - I ordered a knock off set from Amazon for $10
M6x1 screws - I ordered 10.9 screws that were 14mm long
4mm Allen Wrench - To turn in your new screws
(optional) Rare Earth Magnet - To clear the shavings and hold them
Q-Tips - To clean the threads
Tap Cutting Fluid - To lubricate the tap so you don't break it off in the hole (big bummer if that happens)
M6x1 tap - To cut your threads for the screws

Ford Maverick XL Rear Cargo Bed Tie Down D-Rings Install (with DIY writeup how-to instructions and pictures) 20211103_220028

The Maverick XL has these holes on each side of the bed predrilled but the holes are not tapped.

Ford Maverick XL Rear Cargo Bed Tie Down D-Rings Install (with DIY writeup how-to instructions and pictures) 20211103_214755

Start by setting up your tap, then coat the threads on the tap with cutting fluid. Insert the tip of your tap into the hole you want to cut threads into. Push the tap into the hole with moderate pressure and start to rotate it clockwise. Eventually it will straighten itself and start to get harder to turn. The tap does not need to go all the way in, but does need to cut the threads deep enough for your screw to thread in completely.

Ford Maverick XL Rear Cargo Bed Tie Down D-Rings Install (with DIY writeup how-to instructions and pictures) 20211103_215201

Do your best to keep it straight in line and keep turning it, once it feels easy to turn, unscrew the tap completely. Your hole will look like this

Ford Maverick XL Rear Cargo Bed Tie Down D-Rings Install (with DIY writeup how-to instructions and pictures) 20211103_215741

Take a Q-Tip and soak the end in some cutting fluid. Clean out the hole you just threaded to remove any metal shavings.

Ford Maverick XL Rear Cargo Bed Tie Down D-Rings Install (with DIY writeup how-to instructions and pictures) 20211103_220053
Ford Maverick XL Rear Cargo Bed Tie Down D-Rings Install (with DIY writeup how-to instructions and pictures) 20211103_215123

Clear the shavings from your tap (This is where I used the magnet to pull the shavings off the tap)

Ford Maverick XL Rear Cargo Bed Tie Down D-Rings Install (with DIY writeup how-to instructions and pictures) 20211103_215444

Once the top and bottom holes are threaded and cleaned, test fit a screw and make sure you can turn them all the way in with just your fingers. If you can't try to clean the threads again with the Q-tip. If that doesn't help try to run the tap in again, making sure that you're going deep enough. If you're able to thread in your screws without an issue then line up your "Ford" Tie down hooks and screw them in.

Ford Maverick XL Rear Cargo Bed Tie Down D-Rings Install (with DIY writeup how-to instructions and pictures) 20211103_220221

And done
Ford Maverick XL Rear Cargo Bed Tie Down D-Rings Install (with DIY writeup how-to instructions and pictures) 20211103_221823

I know this is probably pretty basic for most folks, but I figure I'd try to help out those out there who might be interested in a write up.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great work are the factory screws self tapping just curious

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Factory screws are self tapping.

You have to be careful that you don't snap one off.

I installed the cleats in my F150 and used antiseize on all the self tappers and put them in using my cordless impact.

john218

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Mercedes C300
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I installed the cleats in my F150 and used antiseize on all the self tappers and put them in using my cordless impact.
Nice work, thanks for sharing.

Can you share the amazon listing/part for the tie downs?

OP
OP
phobiarg

phobiarg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great work are the factory screws self tapping just curious
The factory tie downs are threaded and use machine screws.

Nice work, thanks for sharing.

Can you share the amazon listing/part for the tie downs?
I bought these but there's several listing for them.

Sporthfish 4 Pcs Tie Down Hooks Compatible for 2000-2017 Ford Tie Down Anchors F150 Styleside 2004-2017 Explorer Sport Trac 2001-2010 Bed Inner Hook Kits

Sponsored

PortlandME

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting this. What happens if you have a spray-in liner? Are those holes still open and can you still tap them the same way?

OP
OP
phobiarg

phobiarg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting this. What happens if you have a spray-in liner? Are those holes still open and can you still tap them the same way?
That I am not sure of. I ordered a dealer installed spray in liner when I bought the truck and asked them about the holes. They said that the holes would be covered unless I asked them not to be. Since they source that job out to a local bed liner shop I didn't want to chance it so I decided to install everything now so it wouldn't get sprayed over. I also put screws in the threaded bed rail holes just to make sure.

Last edited:

john218

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Mercedes C300
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The factory tie downs are threaded and use machine screws.

I bought these but there's several listing for them.

Sporthfish 4 Pcs Tie Down Hooks Compatible for 2000-2017 Ford Tie Down Anchors F150 Styleside 2004-2017 Explorer Sport Trac 2001-2010 Bed Inner Hook Kits
Thank you!

bpcooper14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks good. I'll have to keep this in mind when I get my XL.

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Behind will be identical so you could probably just drill a pilot to confirm the hole is open behind, then tap the whole thing. It’s such a short/ small hole I wouldn’t worry too much.

Sponsored

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Behind will be identical so you could probably just drill a pilot to confirm the hole is open behind, then tap the whole thing. It’s such a short/ small hole I wouldn’t worry too much.
PS I meant to thank the original poster- the info and photos are super helpful, it was something I was wondering about, so I appreciate the detail.

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
A few days ago I posted my install of some D-Rings to the deck of my XL's bed. To reiterate what I said in that post, The Maverick XL does not come with all of the tie down points that the XLT and Lariat get, I wanted those tie downs so I did it myself.

20211103_221823c.jpg

So with that being said these are going to be what is being installed.

20211103_224120.jpg

The items you will need for the install are as follows
"Ford" tie down hooks - I ordered a knock off set from Amazon for $10
M6x1 screws - I ordered 10.9 screws that were 14mm long
4mm Allen Wrench - To turn in your new screws
(optional) Rare Earth Magnet - To clear the shavings and hold them
Q-Tips - To clean the threads
Tap Cutting Fluid - To lubricate the tap so you don't break it off in the hole (big bummer if that happens)
M6x1 tap - To cut your threads for the screws

20211103_220028.jpg

The Maverick XL has these holes on each side of the bed predrilled but the holes are not tapped.

20211103_214755.jpg

Start by setting up your tap, then coat the threads on the tap with cutting fluid. Insert the tip of your tap into the hole you want to cut threads into. Push the tap into the hole with moderate pressure and start to rotate it clockwise. Eventually it will straighten itself and start to get harder to turn. The tap does not need to go all the way in, but does need to cut the threads deep enough for your screw to thread in completely.

20211103_215201.jpg

Do your best to keep it straight in line and keep turning it, once it feels easy to turn, unscrew the tap completely. Your hole will look like this

20211103_215741.jpg

Take a Q-Tip and soak the end in some cutting fluid. Clean out the hole you just threaded to remove any metal shavings.

20211103_220053.jpg
20211103_215123.jpg

Clear the shavings from your tap (This is where I used the magnet to pull the shavings off the tap)

20211103_215444.jpg

Once the top and bottom holes are threaded and cleaned, test fit a screw and make sure you can turn them all the way in with just your fingers. If you can't try to clean the threads again with the Q-tip. If that doesn't help try to run the tap in again, making sure that you're going deep enough. If you're able to thread in your screws without an issue then line up your "Ford" Tie down hooks and screw them in.

20211103_220221.jpg

And done
20211103_221823.jpg

I know this is probably pretty basic for most folks, but I figure I'd try to help out those out there who might be interested in a write up.
Great info...

Thanks

Are you doing the surface bed anchors too?

If so what ones are you using

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL

Is there anything special we need to Do if we use self tapping screws

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just lube them and make sure they go in straight.

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
Just ordered some. Shipping said they’ll be her in 4 days. Maybe I won’t misplace them before my Maverick gets here in 2050. 😁
Sponsored