Sponsored

Would like to connect a 1000W inverter to my 23 Ecoboost XL. Any idea as to where to start?

Rooski41

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi All,
I have a small inverter that should fit in one of the bed cubbies just fine. So where do I run the power cables to? Is there someplace in the cab I can connect them to or do I just run them all the way up to the battery and connect to it?

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hi All,
I have a small inverter that should fit in one of the bed cubbies just fine. So where do I run the power cables to? Is there someplace in the cab I can connect them to or do I just run them all the way up to the battery and connect to it?

Thanks for the input.
Run one wire to the battery positive post with a breaker. Ground comes off the chassis.

OP
OP

Rooski41

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Run one wire to the battery positive post with a breaker. Ground comes off the chassis.
So same set up as the plug and play trailer wiring module. Good Idea!

OP
OP

Rooski41

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For 1000 W it will be a big wire. Maybe 60 amp breaker.
I figured it would need to be battery cable gauge wiring. I will look into what size breakers I can get for it.

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
^^ depending on your inverter's efficiency, you will be pulling ~100A @ 12VDC to provide 1000 continuous watts at 120VAC..

There will also be heat generated by the inverter that will need to be mitigated. Depending on your goals, there may (or may not) be a better alternative to wiring in that size inverter.

good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rooski41

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You probably shouldn't attempt this. The optional Ford inverter is only 400 watts. For a reason.
I do get that.... But I have it and only have plans to charge DeWalt batteries from it. Thanks for the concern though!

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I would be highly surprised if you can safely pull that much from the alternator.

Any cable would have to be run to the engine bay and would be quite thick and a pain in the ass to run.

What are you looking to run off the inverter? Watts?

OP
OP

Rooski41

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would be highly surprised if you can safely pull that much from the alternator.

Any cable would have to be run to the engine bay and would be quite thick and a pain in the ass to run.

What are you looking to run off the inverter? Watts?
DeWalt 12v battery charger. Approx 7 amp input and 2 amp output. As far as running the cable, I have already done it once for the plug and play trailer wire module so I have the path mapped out. The Cable will need heat protective covering.

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You will need a 100 amp breaker then and go right to the battery. Sounds like you don’t need to use 1000 w., but you have the unit already?

OP
OP

Rooski41

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You will need a 100 amp breaker then and go right to the battery. Sounds like you don’t need to use 1000 w., but you have the unit already?
Yes. I have a new one that I purchased a few years ago for another project that didn't happen.

Snox801

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150,Rs,gt500,rx8
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes. I have a new one that I purchased a few years ago for another project that didn't happen.
Did you ever make this happen? I like the idea. Especially one that fits in the back storage. Obviously 1000k is a lot but you don’t have to draw it all as you obviously know
Sponsored