First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sprang for the Undercover Ultra Flex. I am somewhat disappointed and curerntly cannot recommend it, at least not for anyone with the options I have on my Hybrid Lariat + Lux package (bed light, tie-down slide rails). This is my first ever tonneau cover, so I do not know if other options have similar (or worse?) issues; it is possible that my expectations were too high.

I paid for installation thinking I wanted it professionally done. They did it wrong (new employee, first time he had ever installed a tonneau!!), and (IMO) it also seemed done carelessly without attention to detail. I took it back in today and they 'corrected' the issues and apologized for the inconvenience, but I am still a bit ~meh~ on the overall result. In hindsight, I wish I had just installed it myself, even having never done one before.

Pros:
  • Looks beautiful closed; low profile, exactly what I wanted style-wise.
  • Hard tri-fold cover that secures the bed
  • Prop rods 'snap' on to hold the folded cover upright if desired, and use a button release. Hard to describe, but better than any other prop rods solutions I have seen with slides and screws
  • Has a premium look and feel to it
Cons:
  • The clamps to secure the tonneau cover are 'low' enough that the tie-down slide rails cannot slide past them, so I only have limited use of positioning the slide rails OR I have to remove the tonneau clamps to move my slide rails where I want them, and re-fasten the clamps. It /seems/ like the manufacturer could have designed slightly lower profile rails that would permit the full bed length use of the tie-down slide rails.
  • The 'holders' to store the prop rods when they are not in use, face downward - so you place the prop rods underneath (toward the bed floor) and snap them upward into the clips - so the open part of the clip faces down toward the bed. This /seems/ like a poor and insecure design to me (as opposed to having them snap in from the top or even from the side); only time will tell if they fall out and bang and scratch around the bed.
  • The battery-operated LED light installs at the rear driver-side bed rail, so directly above my built-in wired bed light. Redundant and will require batteries, so it seems unhelpful.
  • Ultimate Decimation Attack to my wallet, as far as tonneau cover options go

Overall, it simply has the feeling that this is an amazing cover for other trucks, but that they never tweaked the design *for the Maverick*, so it just doesn't work as well here. It's hard to spend a chunk of money and be dissatisfied, but hopefully these comments can help some others make their own decisions. Right now I am discouraged and don't want to deal with it; after I get over that, I may see if I can shorten/grind or somehow replace the clamps, adjust the prop rod holders somehow, and/or move the LED light to the opposite side or toward the front of the bed, or maybe just remove it. Or, perhaps I will reach out to the manufacturer, maybe there is a pathway to improvement there.
Sponsored

tellyouwhat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Maverick Hybrid Alto Lux BAP 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sprang for the Undercover Ultra Flex. I am somewhat disappointed and curerntly cannot recommend it, at least not for anyone with the options I have on my Hybrid Lariat + Lux package (bed light, tie-down slide rails). This is my first ever tonneau cover, so I do not know if other options have similar (or worse?) issues; it is possible that my expectations were too high.

I paid for installation thinking I wanted it professionally done. They did it wrong (new employee, first time he had ever installed a tonneau!!), and (IMO) it also seemed done carelessly without attention to detail. I took it back in today and they 'corrected' the issues and apologized for the inconvenience, but I am still a bit ~meh~ on the overall result. In hindsight, I wish I had just installed it myself, even having never done one before.

Pros:
  • Looks beautiful closed; low profile, exactly what I wanted style-wise.
  • Hard tri-fold cover that secures the bed
  • Prop rods 'snap' on to hold the folded cover upright if desired, and use a button release. Hard to describe, but better than any other prop rods solutions I have seen with slides and screws
  • Has a premium look and feel to it
Cons:
  • The clamps to secure the tonneau cover are 'low' enough that the tie-down slide rails cannot slide past them, so I only have limited use of positioning the slide rails OR I have to remove the tonneau clamps to move my slide rails where I want them, and re-fasten the clamps. It /seems/ like the manufacturer could have designed slightly lower profile rails that would permit the full bed length use of the tie-down slide rails.
  • The 'holders' to store the prop rods when they are not in use, face downward - so you place the prop rods underneath (toward the bed floor) and snap them upward into the clips - so the open part of the clip faces down toward the bed. This /seems/ like a poor and insecure design to me (as opposed to having them snap in from the top or even from the side); only time will tell if they fall out and bang and scratch around the bed.
  • The battery-operated LED light installs at the rear driver-side bed rail, so directly above my built-in wired bed light. Redundant and will require batteries, so it seems unhelpful.
  • Ultimate Decimation Attack to my wallet, as far as tonneau cover options go

Overall, it simply has the feeling that this is an amazing cover for other trucks, but that they never tweaked the design *for the Maverick*, so it just doesn't work as well here. It's hard to spend a chunk of money and be dissatisfied, but hopefully these comments can help some others make their own decisions. Right now I am discouraged and don't want to deal with it; after I get over that, I may see if I can shorten/grind or somehow replace the clamps, adjust the prop rod holders somehow, and/or move the LED light to the opposite side or toward the front of the bed, or maybe just remove it. Or, perhaps I will reach out to the manufacturer, maybe there is a pathway to improvement there.
hey thanks for the detailed review. This was gonna be my tonneau of choice so good to hear from someone who has one. I guess my question for you is it seems most if not all issues are related to the side rails (and perhaps the rookie installer), but what if you did not have side rails? would you recommend the cover in that case? I had my eye on this b/c thought was high quality but now I not so sure after your post and the guy who posted this in another thread
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/tonneau-cover-fail.23175/#post-438605

SlowTime2011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the Truxedo Low Pro. Leaks water like crazy, sure I will have a mold issue. I was told you could close the tailgate with the cover closed. Not the case or the leaking is worse.

Guess I will live with it until the spring and toss it in the trash for something better. Live an learn, may go hard cover.

baseballchamps

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ford Taurus SES
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the Truxedo Low Pro. Leaks water like crazy, sure I will have a mold issue. I was told you could close the tailgate with the cover closed. Not the case or the leaking is worse.

Guess I will live with it until the spring and toss it in the trash for something better. Live an learn, may go hard cover.
I have the Lo Pro too any have not had any issues. Added the tail gate seal and everything has stayed bone dry. Did you contact Real Truck for suggestions? It has a Lifetime warranty so it might be defective or installed incorrectly.

SlowTime2011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the Lo Pro too any have not had any issues. Added the tail gate seal and everything has stayed bone dry. Did you contact Real Truck for suggestions? It has a Lifetime warranty so it might be defective or installed incorrectly.

What tail gate seal did you use? I will reach out to Truxedo to find where to make adjustments. The worse leak is where it meets the cab bulk head. The seal is no where near flat. I had hoped the sun with flatten it down, that hasn't been the case.

Sponsored

baseballchamps

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ford Taurus SES
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What tail gate seal did you use? I will reach out to Truxedo to find where to make adjustments. The worse leak is where it meets the cab bulk head. The seal is no where near flat. I had hoped the sun with flatten it down, that hasn't been the case.
The seal I used was a universal one for the tailgate not the bulkhead. Your cover maybe defective if it does not seal well. The first cover they shipped me was upside down so I returned it and the second cover worked great. Before giving up you might want to return it and try another one. If you ordered from Real Truck you have 30 days free return. Good Luck.

Anthony

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
hey thanks for the detailed review. This was gonna be my tonneau of choice so good to hear from someone who has one. I guess my question for you is it seems most if not all issues are related to the side rails (and perhaps the rookie installer), but what if you did not have side rails? would you recommend the cover in that case? I had my eye on this b/c thought was high quality but now I not so sure after your post and the guy who posted this in another thread
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/tonneau-cover-fail.23175/#post-438605
I do like the fit and the look, a lot. If I would have never opened my bed again I would have been completely happy with this choice ;) It seems very solidly built, so that other thread surprises me a bit.

Yes, I think much of my assessment comes down to the rail interference and the (lack of) quality of the original install.

NoCoolNameDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
20221002_072735.jpg

Truxedo Prox15. Showing rolled up because for me its best feature is its size. It doesn't block the window or take up any bed space.

It's decently weather proof, inexpensive, and I (not a handy person) installed it in a couple hours.

I also bought and installed the rail system for it. When my bed rack bars come in they'll work with the cover.

The big negative is it doesn't provide the security of a hard or reinforced cover. I don't leave $$ things in the bed so not a problem for me. But something to consider.

I also bought from RealTruck. Great experience and discount.
How much does it flap or move at highway speeds 70+ mph.

Kingfish

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't notice much flapping or movement. There is a little rippling I guess though. It's my first truck/tonneau so I don't have much reference. I'll try and hit a video soon.

tkistre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Which tonneau cover do you prefer? 1675430549282

I got the Gator Trio Hard Folding Tonneau Cover from RealTruck. They gave me 20% off, which made it $50-100 more then generic ones I saw that were similar. Figured if I had any issues, I may get better service with RealTruck. Only been on my new Maverick about a week now. So far so good, no complaints.
Sponsored