First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im thinking that a redo on the bottom engine cover plate is my future.

Shouldn’t be bad to cut the appropriate holes to allow access to the filter and plug and build cover plates for them.

Means removing maybe four screws instead of 15. 🤔

Last edited:

Lyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Was there a toggle switch underneath just to the driversside of the oil pan. At 4:02 in the video and once just a few seconds earlier is where I seen it. It’s probably something else, but it looks like a typical toggle switch. Why would one be down there if indeed it is.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brian_J

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
Brian_J

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was there a toggle switch underneath just to the driversside of the oil pan. At 4:02 in the video and once just a few seconds earlier is where I seen it. It’s probably something else, but it looks like a typical toggle switch. Why would one be down there if indeed it is.
That’s just a longer bolt w a nut on it.

Ford Maverick Video of 2.0 Ecoboost AWD Maverick underside / undercarriage and engine bay 54D3BE91-0548-4A0F-90C4-C1BE90A87397

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That was a dumb oversight to not include a quick access panel to the oil filter and drain plug for DIY oil changes. The Santa Cruz also has one of those aero shields, but two quick access panels at least.

That's a really tedious amount of bolts to remove and retighten every time to remove that big old shield.

On the other hand, it does seem to be a pretty smooth underbody which should help aero a little. The transmission tunnel also looks way more space efficient than the one on the Santa Cruz which seems crazy huge.

He makes a good point about all those wiring connectors, they are exposed to the elements. Could be a real concern for those above the snow belt that get a lot of salt on the road, might work its way in there and cause weird glitches when long out of warranty. When warranty expires I'd probably inspect all of those and maybe use some dielectric grease on em all.

He says the headlight bulbs, but he must mean the blinker bulbs as ironically as easy as those are to get to the headlights are not serviceable. On my Ram they are serviceable but you have to yank the whole damn grill out to then remove the headlight assembly to get to the bulbs. On the Santa Cruz it seems you have to turn the wheel hard and then undo the wheel well plastic to get in there since the headlights and blinkers are so low on the bumper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian_J

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That was a dumb oversight to not include a quick access panel to the oil filter and drain plug for DIY oil changes.

That's a really tedious amount of bolts to remove and retighten every time to remove that big old shield.

On the other hand, it does seem to be a pretty smooth underbody which should help aero a little.
Up to 10,000mi oil changes tho so

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Up to 10,000mi oil changes tho so
They all say that, but I don't trust it. I change my oil once a year or every 5,000 miles, whatever comes first, its cheap insurance and has allowed all our vehicles to go 150K+ miles trouble free to date. *knock on wood* Maybe 10K changes would have been fine too, but even after 5K when I'm changing out the stuff always looks super nasty.

Lyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
That’s just a longer bolt w a nut on it.

54D3BE91-0548-4A0F-90C4-C1BE90A87397.jpeg
Thanks that is clearly what that is, I was viewing it on my iPad and when I stopped to video it blurred. I couldn’t imagine why there would be a toggle down there.

Killjoyken

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see the cat is hanging down on my XLT. Looks like easy access to be stolen.
The main cat is up by the turbo with no easy access but that does look like a secondary cat that can be easily cut off. It sucks that we even have to think about these things nowadays.

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That was a dumb oversight to not include a quick access panel to the oil filter and drain plug for DIY oil changes. The Santa Cruz also has one of those aero shields, but two quick access panels at least.

On the other hand, it does seem to be a pretty smooth underbody which should help aero a little. The transmission tunnel also looks way more space efficient than the one on the Santa Cruz which seems crazy huge.

He makes a good point about all those wiring connectors, they are exposed to the elements. Could be a real concern for those above the snow belt that get a lot of salt on the road, might work its way in there and cause weird glitches when long out of warranty. When warranty expires I'd probably inspect all of those and maybe use some dielectric grease on em all.

He says the headlight bulbs, but he must mean the blinker bulbs as ironically as easy as those are to get to the headlights are not serviceable. On my Ram they are serviceable but you have to yank the whole damn grill out to then remove the headlight assembly to get to the bulbs. On the Santa Cruz it seems you have to turn the wheel hard and then undo the wheel well plastic to get in there since the headlights and blinkers are so low on the bumper.
Ford has use the felt board skid panel under the engine for year they usually all have some scoops or cutouts to get air to turbo and or PTU. I agree it would be better just to be solid plastic with trap doors, but at least they aren't following some European carmakers that have no drain plug and have to be pumped out now.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Im thinking that a redo on the bottom engine cover plate is my future.

Shouldn’t be bad to cut the appropriate holes to allow access to the filter and plug and build cover plates for them.

Means removing maybe four screws instead of 15. 🤔
I was thinking the same thing. I'm really surprised that Ford didn't already do that! Oh well just another DIY project for the DIYer's truck! 😁
Sponsored