Sponsored

Used Vehicle Market

dedMann

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4/LUX,60 Bug,ElementSC 5mt,Buell XB12X,BICYCLES!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
went to Las Vegas today to buy a car for my college kid... 12k+ couldn't find me a car that hasn't been crashed or owned/mistreated by 4 people. Was going for Mazda cx-5. Lots of hustle going on out there; everyone is a CL or FB MarketPlace 3rd party handler.
Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
+1 to going around for value.

Local CarMax offered $3k less than Vroom for my Jeep Wrangler.

I'm going to ask the dealer next.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anybody want to add a 2008 Audi A4 with 73,000 miles to their collection? It gets worse mpg than the 2.0 ecoboost. She’s a beaut.
I’ll give you tree fiddy.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ll give you tree fiddy.
That’s pretty close to the vroom estimate I got. They are willing to shell out $570 for her. Hahaha.

Sponsored

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I plan to try and sell my Chevy when I know the Maverick will be here in two weeks….if it doesn’t sale I’ll use it as trade in

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fully loaded Maverick Lariat, Harley Fat Bob
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've learned (especially with motorcycles/ATVs/dirt bikes) that the actual private market sale price ALWAYS exceeds whatever the blue book value is. Especially right now.

My 2010 CX7 with 164K on it will be sold for $6k when I get the Mavvy. 2 years ago I probably could have only gotten $4500 for it, and it had less miles on it. Used car market is booming. Post up a firm price on your add and let 'er rip.

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anybody want to add a 2008 Audi A4 with 73,000 miles to their collection? It gets worse mpg than the 2.0 ecoboost. She’s a beaut.
I got a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Cabriolet w/premium plus package and 145K miles in Connecticut.. Saw an ad on AutoTrader for basically the same Audi for $5500 and the convertible top does not work.
I'm hoping to get about $5000 OBO (everything works, but some front end damage.)

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dealers are pretty limited in what they make on NEW vehicles. So, they make up for it in the used car market. Typical markups are 2k to 3k.
What blows my mind in this market is the dealers that aren't even willing to work for their markup - i.e., detail it, do an inspection, fix the little problems, buff out the scratches, etc. They take em in on trade or bring 'em back from the auctions and put them on the lot. As is, no warranties, they don't give a fork whether or not they are worthy vehicles.
And forget about doing a KBB or Edmunds "what is my trade in worth?" exercise. Better to go to Autotrader and cars.com, search for a car like yours, and if you find 10 or 15 and they average $9500, sell yours for $8500. Anyone haggles on your price just tell them to go to Autotrader and look for themselves.
And by the way, you know what little things are wrong with your Flex - fix 'em, and give the vehicle a good detailing and you've actually done more than a lot of dealers are willing to do.
I'm not a car dealer but I've been messing with them since the 70s.
Good luck!
PS: used car prices are what led me to checking out decently valued new cars - I was this close to buying a Nissan Kicks (you can get a decent SV model for about $23k) and somehow I found out about the Maverick and fell in love with it.

OP
OP

RebellaE

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, Lux, 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Dealers are pretty limited in what they make on NEW vehicles. So, they make up for it in the used car market. Typical markups are 2k to 3k.
What blows my mind in this market is the dealers that aren't even willing to work for their markup - i.e., detail it, do an inspection, fix the little problems, buff out the scratches, etc. They take em in on trade or bring 'em back from the auctions and put them on the lot. As is, no warranties, they don't give a fork whether or not they are worthy vehicles.
And forget about doing a KBB or Edmunds "what is my trade in worth?" exercise. Better to go to Autotrader and cars.com, search for a car like yours, and if you find 10 or 15 and they average $9500, sell yours for $8500. Anyone haggles on your price just tell them to go to Autotrader and look for themselves.
And by the way, you know what little things are wrong with your Flex - fix 'em, and give the vehicle a good detailing and you've actually done more than a lot of dealers are willing to do.
I'm not a car dealer but I've been messing with them since the 70s.
Good luck!
PS: used car prices are what led me to checking out decently valued new cars - I was this close to buying a Nissan Kicks (you can get a decent SV model for about $23k) and somehow I found out about the Maverick and fell in love with it.
That's kind of where I am. I've always had the first or second looker buy my used cars. I keep them well-maintained and always detail them before I sell. My Flex will easily run for another 100k with proper maintenance. I tend to price them at the mid level and am willing to negotiate a bit so they sell fast. I've just never sold in this kind of market, and don't want to miss the mark on potential profit!
Last night we actually decided to sell my husband's 2014 BMW i3 instead of the Flex. It looks like we can sell it for almost as much as we bought it for in 2017. It's a more expensive car and the difference in price seems to be higher. The Flex was not our first choice of a vehicle, but I can't fault it for reliability or usefulness, and he will be OK driving it for a year.

Sponsored

Gabbydad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's a reality I had to come to grips with regarding selling privately. There aren't many people willing to risk $20k or more on a vehicle with no recourse if it's a lemon.
I had my 16 F150 XLT that privately should be worth high $20's. (in my mind and KBB). I listed it for $28,000 and was contact by a couple of low ballers and dealers. Ultimatelty sold it to Carmax for $23,400. THe turned aroudn and sold it fo $32,900..
No one's coming to knock on my door and rolls the dice for $30. But with dealers, there's at least recourse.

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's kind of where I am. I've always had the first or second looker buy my used cars. I keep them well-maintained and always detail them before I sell. My Flex will easily run for another 100k with proper maintenance. I tend to price them at the mid level and am willing to negotiate a bit so they sell fast. I've just never sold in this kind of market, and don't want to miss the mark on potential profit!
Last night we actually decided to sell my husband's 2014 BMW i3 instead of the Flex. It looks like we can sell it for almost as much as we bought it for in 2017. It's a more expensive car and the difference in price seems to be higher. The Flex was not our first choice of a vehicle, but I can't fault it for reliability or usefulness, and he will be OK driving it for a year.
sounds good. I remember when the Flex was still a concept: they originally called it the Fairlane... and it was going to be a medium or small size wagon (I love wagons). As it came together it turned into something that gets 17 mpg in the city and at that point I thought, why not just buy a truck or an Explorer? But I still think they are a cool, different design...

dedMann

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4/LUX,60 Bug,ElementSC 5mt,Buell XB12X,BICYCLES!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
went to buy a car for 10k the dealer fees were 4400! thats a hell of a handling fee....

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Cabriolet w/premium plus package and 145K miles in Connecticut.. Saw an ad on AutoTrader for basically the same Audi for $5500 and the convertible top does not work.
I'm hoping to get about $5000 OBO (everything works, but some front end damage.)
That's amazing! I've got front damage too, pulled too far into one too many parking spaces, oops.
Sponsored