OP

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I wonder what this competition will do to the traditional brands. Ford better hurry. Everyone is planning an EV truck. I am sure many with the new ideas impossible on the inside of the old corporation (new place for a water bottle anyone?)

Do or die!

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Believe GM is helping Loardstown and Rivian is backed by Amazon. Going to be some fun compition from new companies. They are all full size trucks. It would be smart of Ford to offer an EV version on the Maverick sooner than later with AWD.

Sponsored

OP
OP

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Believe GM is helping Loardstown and Rivian is backed by Amazon. Going to be some fun compition from new companies. They are all full size trucks. It would be smart of Ford to offer an EV version on the Maverick sooner than later with AWD.
Ford is also backing Rivian, might be its competitor in a little while.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
interesting to see the rivian r1t also has a 4.5’ short bed like the maverick
Rivian could have had a bigger bed because electrical frees up space. But they chose to have that pull out gizmo between the bed and the cabin. Also inteesting is that without engine you can push the cabin further to the front but most are still going with the tradiional truck look even though there is nothing under the front hood.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So my prediction is coming true, that a Plug in and EV Maverick will happen in the next 2-4 yrs

Sponsored
OP
OP

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
So my prediction is coming true, that a Plug in and EV Maverick will happen in the next 2-4 yrs
The real question why didn't they do it now? They have the technology. My guess to protect EV F-150 price point and sales. Given the rapid market developments this was a mistake and lost opportunity in my opinion.

Even if Maverick was + $5-10K.

Last edited:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The real question why didn't they do it now? They have the technology. My guess to protect EV F-150 price point and sales. Given the rapid market developments this was a mistake and lost opportunity in my opinion.

Even if Maverick was + $5-10K.
I have thought about this, but product development could be the reason. The Escape came out as a Hybrid first then followed by the Plug-in, Ford does not have a full EV Escape yet, and I'm betting the Maverick will follow the same course.

OP
OP

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I have thought about this, but product development could be the reason. The Escape came out as a Hybrid first then followed by the Plug-in, Ford does not have a full EV Escape yet, and I'm betting the Maverick will follow the same course.
But if they knew how rapid and fierce is EV competition they could have done EV Maverick just like Lightening F-150

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

But if they knew how rapid and fierce is EV competition they could have done EV Maverick just like Lightening F-150
Like I said, product development. Ford isn't dumb, bring out a hybrid for a year or 2, then a plug in, then 2 later a EV. By the time the EV comes out, it will be ready for Mid Cycle refresh.

OP
OP

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Like I said, product development. Ford isn't dumb, bring out a hybrid for a year or 2, then a plug in, then 2 later a EV. By the time the EV comes out, it will be ready for Mid Cycle refresh.
it is not a question of being dumb, it is slow moving legacy company against nimble and very well financed startups, run by best engineers in the industry. If you look at these startups, see links. You will see impressive innovation while Ford with Maverick going around promoting new places for a water bottle and upholstery.
Sponsored