First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Escape Titanium, 17 Flex Base
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have owned several restored salvage vehicles over the last 10 years, more recently a 2015 Explorer and a 2017 Flex. Both hit in front and repaired, never have any trouble with either of them. Tires wear evenly, no rattles, handle like new.

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With a unibody how does it get repaired if rear ended, or any body damage
If you look at photos with the rear doors open it looks like the rear bed side fenders are bolted on. There is a tab with 1 bolt then the plastic guarding on the upper rear window and bed rail most likely hide the other fasteners. One last thing is there is a line at the c-pillar showing that it’s a separate piece. Unlike the Honda Ridgeline and the Hyundai Santa Cruz which have the rear section a single welded or stamped piece and the inner bed is all bolted on. I believe this is a better design for repairs and maybe even assembling at the plant. It also gives you a normal steel bed tub instead of the others with a fiberglass or composite liner. Don’t know if any of this is true but that’s the way it looks to me.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In my limited experience, if a vehicle gets frame damage... its almost always been totaled by the insurance company. The problem is, an insurance company is required to deliver your vehicle to you in as good or better condition than it was in before the accident. Thats almost impossible to do with a frame damaged unibody vehicle, without a major expenditure. Even body on frame vehicles tend to get totaled with frame damage, unless they are almost brand new or the damage is in such a way that the damaged frame member can be replaced at a good weld breakpoint (designed into the frame at different points for this very reason).

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
2015 yukon denali - had a sensor malfunction on a small impact that resulted in the airbags going off. Other vehicle was a audi A6 and was pretty much damage free. No one understood why the airbags deployed, but with a small repair and $9K to replace and reset the airbag system, thought all was good. Nope. when I tried to sell, no frame damage mind you, my car was flagged as framed damage. 20% instant loss of resale/trade value (at least!). Carvana only offered me 50% of trade value. If I EVER have an airbag deploy again, I am going to demand the lost of value as part of the repair, or total the car.

Sponsored

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2015 yukon denali - had a sensor malfunction on a small impact that resulted in the airbags going off. Other vehicle was a audi A6 and was pretty much damage free. No one understood why the airbags deployed, but with a small repair and $9K to replace and reset the airbag system, thought all was good. Nope. when I tried to sell, no frame damage mind you, my car was flagged as framed damage. 20% instant loss of resale/trade value (at least!). Carvana only offered me 50% of trade value. If I EVER have an airbag deploy again, I am going to demand the lost of value as part of the repair, or total the car.
YEP YOU'RE ANOTHER carfax VICTIM

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
In my limited experience, if a vehicle gets frame damage... its almost always been totaled by the insurance company. The problem is, an insurance company is required to deliver your vehicle to you in as good or better condition than it was in before the accident. Thats almost impossible to do with a frame damaged unibody vehicle, without a major expenditure. Even body on frame vehicles tend to get totaled with frame damage, unless they are almost brand new or the damage is in such a way that the damaged frame member can be replaced at a good weld breakpoint (designed into the frame at different points for this very reason).
Crashed my first vehicle, a Chevy S10, at about 1 yr old, with maybe 25K miles on it. Bent the frame, but it was straightened, and fully repaired. Went on to give me 13 solid years, and 256K.

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid