Trying to decide which AT tires to throw on my Maverick hybrid XLT

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
OK, doubtless a silly question, but what do you do with your OEM tires if you immediately buy after-market tires for the Maverick? Is there an institutional market to buy these used tires, or are Ebay and Amazon marketplace the only ways to go?
I've always used craigslist/ebay
Sponsored

Reactions: JJC

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I put together the following size comparison, OEM 235/65R17 (29") vs. 245/70R17 (30.5") (y) I think I'll go up to this size eventually, seems to fill up the wheel well nicely.

I'm still undecided on Wildpeaks or Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus as was originally mentioned. I see both tires are offered in these sizes, might try the Pirellis.

ezgif-2-7156b0fad2bf.gif
So I have been researching and playing with these tire sizes myself. If things are identical to the Bronco Sport (which we won't know until someone gets their hands on a Maverick) the 245/70 might cause a bit of pinch weld rubbing at full lock. I hope that is not the case as I would like to bump up to that size. I may stick with 245/65 as my first set of tires to replace the 225/65 Pirellis.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OK, doubtless a silly question, but what do you do with your OEM tires if you immediately buy after-market tires for the Maverick? Is there an institutional market to buy these used tires, or are Ebay and Amazon marketplace the only ways to go?
My local tire shop will buyback what they call "take offs" from new cars for anywhere from $100-$150/tire (size dependent). They will be giving me $400 for the tires off of the Maverick.

Barefootdan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y
I imagine the pinch weld will be an issue for us as well. 245/65r17 will be the better size for someone who wants a little more tire but doesn't want to cut up or trim their brand new Maverick.

I was also considering a 255/65r17 but that may be a little "bulgy" on only a 7" wide wheel. Only reason for that size is that I've found a set of "take-off" Continental TerrainContact AT's for a really good price. I think they came standard on the GMC Terrain AT4. May be a good AT option as well.
What tire setup is similar to this photo of the raptor render? I know its photoshopped, so proportions may be off (they look small?). But I am unfamiliar with A/T tire sizing and more familiar with road tires ;). Is this the "bulgy" style that you are referencing perhaps?

Ford Maverick Trying to decide which AT tires to throw on my Maverick hybrid XLT 1626891540216

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I haven't seen or heard anything about the suspension. I have read and heard in videos that the modes were replacements rather than additions. That doesn't necessarily mean anything as there's lots of misinformation out there with everyone desperate to share whatever they think they know. (We're all excited 😅) You may very well be correct on both counts.
FX4 suspension is mono-tube shocks/struts with hydraulic rebound dampening. Which should last longer off-road than the standard twin-tube setup.

Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What tire setup is similar to this photo of the raptor render? I know its photoshopped, so proportions may be off (they look small?). But I am unfamiliar with A/T tire sizing and more familiar with road tires ;). Is this the "bulgy" style that you are referencing perhaps?

1626891540216.png
As you stated that's a photoshop render so everyones answer to your question would merely be a guess. I would guess at 33-35" tires which would require at LEAST 3-4 inches of lift in addition to other trimming/cutting modifications.

Barefootdan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y
As you stated that's a photoshop render so everyones answer to your question would merely be a guess. I would guess at 33-35" tires which would require at LEAST 3-4 inches of lift in addition to other trimming/cutting modifications.
Perfect, thank you! it helps give a reference for sure

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I'm eyeing the strong and light for an mud terrain Yokohama MT-003 in 225/65/17. 40lbs for a D load mud terrain is incredibly light and these things are supposedly as quiet as the Falken Wildpeaks. You likely won't be able to easily re-gear the Maverick so going to very tall tires may be a detriment to performance.
Ford Maverick Trying to decide which AT tires to throw on my Maverick hybrid XLT 1626892394799

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Technically, yes, the Raptor tires are 35" on 17" wheels, but I bet they had to scale the Maverick body up at least 10-15%. So in relation to how much they had to scale the Maverick up, I'd put the tire size in that image at ~31" on 15" wheels. The photoshop really isn't too bad, just keep in mind it's a rather impossible look since a wheel that small will not actually fit on the Maverick.
Yeah 35" might be a bit on the overzealous side of my guess. 33", I personally think, would be closer to accurate. I mean those 235/65's that come factory from Ford are 29.1" and I just think that there is a bigger discrepancy from that and that Raptor photoshop than 1.9".

Again, all these are guesses and useless information. Lol

Sponsored

L3fty

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Enclave
Has the width of the upgraded alloy wheels that come with the wildpeaks been published? I see posts about the standard wheels being 7" wide. Just confirming whether anyone knows that these are the same.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If they scaled up the Maverick body by lets just say 13%, those 35" tires and 17" wheels would be ~31" and 15" respectively in comparison to the real-life size of the Maverick.

It's simple math:
Tires: 35/1.13 = ~30.9"
Wheels 17/1.13 = ~15"

I'm just trying to give the guy a realistic expectation (y)

I have a feeling you don't realize how big a 33" tire is compared to a Maverick lol.. a 33" tire would literally stuff the entire wheel well on the Maverick, you'd have to Fred Flintstone the firewall if you wanted to drive in anything other than a straight line.

After comparing Raptor to Mav specs, I bet they had to scale the Maverick by closer to 15-20% which would make the real-world size of the tires/wheels even smaller than I have above. They definitely look small in relation to the body of the Maverick, should be a very achievable stance for those interested in just a slightly larger than stock tire and an inch or two lift.
We're just going to agree to disagree on this one lol. To get something close to that render, in real life, would require more than a one inch lift and stock tires (earlier you said 30.9" tires now you're saying stock size tire).

However, I await the aftermarket that will come and to see the "installed modifications" pictures. I'll bet the farm a one inch lift and stock tires does not look like that photoshop.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Per my scaled image above we were both wrong, if you still think that photoshop is a realistic look at 33"s on a Maverick, you're way off man.
I don't think it is realistic look of much of anything. I stated that in my first response to the guy who linked the photo. I also stated that anyone would be guessing because it isn't an actual photo of a Maverick. Again, I said we will have to agree to disagree because I don't think that look would be achieved from a 1" lift and stock tires.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What's not realistic? I sized the body of the Maverick to be equal in both images.. we know the OEM 235/65R17's are ~29" diamater thus the tire comparison should be very realistic since the bodies have been scaled to be equal.

1626896966136.png
What isn't realistic? A photoshop picture of a truck with some other wheels and tires. I'm not sure how else to say that we have a difference of opinion that you will understand? Lol

Again, once you, myself or other people get their trucks and begin to mod, I cannot wait to compare photos of 1" lifts on stock tires to that photoshop and see how they actually look.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can you not read the dimensions I've referenced on the images? I scaled the Maverick body to be EQUAL in both, that's our commonality. We also know that the stock Ford image on the bottom has the 235/65R17 tires. So when I reference that 29" dimension, the photoshop's tires are actually SMALLER. I can't make this stuff up and I'm done arguing with you when I've spelled it out as clear as can be.
Smaller tires than factory to achieve this look. Got it.

Can we agree to disagree yet?
Sponsored