Burdy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01' Excursion 7.3, 82' CJ-8, 01' ACTY, 23' MAV HYB
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When Ford first announced the new Maverick, I knew right away it was a vehicle I wanted. A pickup truck starting at or below $22k is unheard of now days, much less one capable of getting MPG’s in the 40’s. After multiple attempts in early 2022 to buy one at MSRP, I located a friend-of-a-friend with a connection and was able to get in on the 2023 ordering window.

I ordered my 23' Maverick Hybrid back in September 2022 and received it in mid January 2023 and after tax, tag and delivery from Florida to Georgia, I paid $26k out-the-door. The goal was a low cost (hence buying the base XL model) extra vehicle for my wife and I and for extended family to drive if they were in town and we needed to be using our own vehicles. I was looking for something that gets better mileage than my Excursion 7.3 which had just turned over 500,000 miles and something more practical than my wife's little 2 door coupe...if and when she had errands to run that required a truck. The Maverick basically was bought to fill the roll of what most people use a Honda Civic for, but I knew a bed was mandatory.

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230315-193440997

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230315-193455358

I debated long on Hybrid XL 2WD vs ECO 4WD, but eventually settled on the XL Hybrid 2WD as I do already have a solution for a 4WD/AWD fun vehicle if needed. Having turned 16 years old in the year 1994, I was the product of the mini-truck generation so I thought it would be fun to have this little truck and play with it a bit. I ordered Eibach lowering springs long before my truck arrived in anticipation of future "light" mods (I still wanted the truck to be inexpensive).

I really expected not much from the truck, I mean lets face, it is the cheapest new road legal vehicle you can buy with a bed on it and I figured N.V.H. would be an issue, ride quality would be sub par and build quality would mean interior rattles from day one. I have only put 1100 miles on it, so everything could come apart down the road, but initial impressions are much better than expected. I take the truck to the park with weights to work out a bit after a run, drive the dogs to Sonic for meals, and take the trash to the dump. It is just so versatile. My wife even likes it and has no problem driving it around, something she never does in my “big ole” Excursion.

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230131-194938150

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230203-203134966

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230210-223654280-MP

The ride quality was so comfortable, and the truck was so good at being a "swiss army knife" of sorts, I decided to forego the Eibach lowering kit and start searching for a slightly more aggressive tire that I would be happy with at stock ride height. Wheel and tire combinations for the vehicle are currently limited. The truck was a looker, but still a bit too "cute" for my tastes with the factory footwear and I needed something that made me bit a bit more proud behind those tinted windows without breaking the bank...or the MPG's.

My search began and took me many directions, but as with most things in life, a spreadsheet solved the puzzle. One thing I wanted was a tire and wheel profile as close to stock as possible in order maintain as much MPG as I could. I believe this combo is one of the best solutions you can currently find.

The stock wheel weighs 26.2 lbs and the stock tire weighs 24.9 lbs. Now, this is not much of a fair fight right off the bat, because OEM tires are notoriously stingy with tread depth usually ringing in at around 7/32's instead of the 11 or 12/32's of pretty much any other tire you would buy as a replacement. OEM tires are the equivalent of the factory toner cartridge that comes with your printer...good enough to get you started, but don’t last as long as the replacements. Because of the lower tread depth, the weight is lower. So you may very well have a particular OEM tire that weighs a couple pounds lighter than the "standard" replacement would be of that very same tire. Confusing I know. Its one way manufacturers try to keep costs down.

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230315-223104009

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230315-223002520

After contacting multiple wheel manufactures (the wheel marketplace is an absolute mess) I began to narrow down my selections. I settled on the Advanti Hybris wheel (Made by Konig). The wheel was factory diameter of 17" but 1/2 inch wider at 7.5" inches vs the factory 7" wheel. The offset was set at 45, which consequently puts the outside edge of the wheel EXACTLY where the factory one sits, to the mm (vs the factory 38mm). The extra width of the wheel shows up inboard, toward the strut and brakes. I was hoping this would help curb MPG loss that you typically see by going wider beyond the fender. The wheels weighed in at an average of 17.2 lbs, cutting exactly 9 lbs of weight from the factory steel wheel. The load rating on these wheels are sufficient at 1521 lbs per corner. I did have to use hub centric rings to bring it from the wheel's 71.1mm opening to the Maverick's hub of 63.4mm.

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock JR-WHEELS

There are many on/off road tires now, and Ford uses those on these trucks depending upon the package, but even the tire on the Tremor package for me is just not quite aggressive looking enough for my tastes. I searched to find the lightest factory size, true A/T tire available, and that turned out to be the big brother of the factory Tremor tire...The Pirelli ATR "Plus". Most tire sellers showed this tire to weigh 28 lbs, but again, I emailed Pirelli to confirm. They confirmed that in fact the tires are 27.8 lbs and are the lightest in the category at this size. Once ordering and receiving the tires, I of course confirmed weight myself and got a slightly heavier 28.29, 28.50, 28.50 and 28.13 for an average of 28.35 lbs, or a 3.45 lb weight GAIN over the stock road tire.

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230315-191927863

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230315-185737115

In total this combination saves 5.5lbs per corner over the factory setup and, at least in my opinion looks much better. Now, will it get factory MPG's? I doubt it. One thing you have to take into account is that even though this is factory sized tires, it will sit with a bit more contact patch on the slightly wider wheel, and this type of tire will have significantly more rolling resistance than the street tire it came with. Additionally, though the total combo is lighter, the tire is heavier and the tire sits further away from the center of the axle. Weight gets harder to spin further away from it's source, so the additional weight savings will not be translated 100%. I am too dumb to do the calculation on what the effective change would be removing weight close to the axle (wheel) and gaining weight away from the axle (tire) but I am sure some young whipper-snapper with a physics degree can tell us.

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5927

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5928

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5939

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5940

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5941

What I did arrive at, is, in my opinion, a wonderful compromise. I expect a slight MPG loss, but the truck now looks quite a good bit better. So far I have simply just added black tailgate letters, removed the factory chrome "hybrid" badge and replaced it with a black lightning bolt to somewhat signify its electric-hybrid roots. I also installed a Bakflip Revolver Tonneau cover. I don't really have any future plans other than some light flexbed mod's to further increase it's utility.

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5926

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5934

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5935

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5936

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5938

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5946

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5952

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5955

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock DSCF5963

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230316-201717519

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230316-201743099

Ford Maverick Put AT tires on my Hybrid Maverick and still saved 5.6lbs per corner over stock PXL-20230316-201800459

Purchasing the Maverick was intended to be for practicality purpose only, a tool, so to speak. As it turns out, I have really grown to appreciate what Ford did with this truck and it's no wonder they don't stay on the dealer lots for long. It really reminds me of my teenage years. Going to Sonic with my wife listening to old radio stations just reminds me of a simpler time. Its quite intriguing that the entire reason this truck has struck a chord with buyers is the overall simplicity of the package itself. I still think this truck is best bought as an XL model, especially now that cruise control is standard for 2023. They don't make them like they used to, but I have to thank Ford for rewinding the clock a bit with a new model that inspires old memories.

UDPATE, HIGHWAY MILEAGE:
I have my first MPG update since the wheel/tire combo change and I think you guys are going to like it. Yesterday was my first fill-up that was 100% with the new wheels and tires. It was also a very interesting opportunity to really get a good gauge on the MPG's at real world HIGHWAY ONLY driving.

I stopped at a gas station right next to the interstate and checked tire pressures first. Temps were in the low 40's and I inflated all 4 tires to 35 PSI. I then filled up the tank and jumped on the interstate. Because I wanted real world numbers, I decided to set cruise control to 78 mph. This was to be a 4 hour trip one way and then back. In my mind, 78 MPH is a real world reasonable speed that wouldn't get me a ticket and although cruise control hurts MPG, we all like to use it.

In Chattanooga, I picked up a buddy on the way out who weighs about 200 lbs and he was with me until I dropped him off on the way back. He lives less than a mile from the interstate.

Additionally, this trip would included going up and down mountains and the terrain would be quite varied, again, providing an example of real world highway mileage with the cruise control forced to maintain 78 mph, even straight up the mountain.

Trip out:
Out.png

Trip Back
Back.png

There was 10-15 minutes of 40-50mph-ish backroad driving at the end of the trip out, and 10-15 minutes at the start of the trip back. All other mileage was interstate or highway at a 78 mph cruise control setting. There was a couple of wrecks encountered where we were dead stopped. I did not turn the car off at any point in time. There was ZERO hypermiling techniques on this trip. This would have been no different if I let someone borrow my truck. I checked the tire pressues at the end of the trip out, where the temps had changed to the mid 70's and the tires were at 38psi at that point. I did not adjust back to 35 psi.

My 2023 XL Hybrid Window Sticker says 40 mpg City, 37 Combined and 33 Highway. With the lighter wheel/tire combo, but more rolling resistance, a passenger, bed cover and cruise set at 78 mpg, I forecasted to miss the Highway MPG rating by 2mpg or so.

I am very please with the final result, and I ran the tank almost dry to make sure I was getting all the data I could.

Result:
PXL_20230331_001830293.MP (1).jpg

This test in my mind is one of the more repeatable ways to test. City driving and hypermiling techniques provide too much variation. As always, everyone's data will be different but hopefully I have included enough info here for you to draw your conclusions.

My conclusion is, this lightweight combo is doing exactly what I hope it would do.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Looks great! The badge switch is cool too.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fantastic looking truck and great article. Looks like you did your research rather than just doing something by impulse. You are correct. Ford filled a niche in the market that no one else filled. I know I will get hit with people talking about their Santa Claus, Taco, or whatever, and that is ok. Just realize they are all different from the Maverick.

TFLB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 F150, 05 Mustang, 24 Ordered Mav XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can click on any image for a full-res version.

I ordered my 23' Maverick Hybrid back in September 2022 and received it in mid January 2023. The goal was a low cost (XL) extra vehicle for my wife and I and for extended family to drive if they were in town. Something that gets better mileage than my Excursion 7.3 which had just turned over 500,000 miles and something more practical than my wife's little 2 door coupe...if and when she had errands to run that required a truck.

PXL-20230315-193440997.jpg

PXL-20230315-193455358.jpg

I debated long on Hybrid XL 2WD vs ECO 4WD, but eventually settled on the XL Hybrid 2WD as I do already have a solution for a 4WD/AWD fun vehicle if needed. Having turned 16 years old in the year 1994, I was the product of the mini-truck generation so I thought it would be fun to have this little truck and play with it a bit. I ordered Eibach lowering springs long before my truck arrived in anticipation of future "light" mods (I still wanted the truck to be inexpensive).

I really expected not much from the truck, I mean it is, the cheapest bedded new road legal vehicle you can buy, and I figured NVH and stuff would be an issue, ride quality would be sub par and build quality would mean interior rattles from day one. I have only put 1100 miles on it, so everything could come apart down the road, but initial impressions are much better than expected. I take the truck to the park with weights to work out a bit after a run, run the dogs to Sonic for meals, and take out the trash. It is just so versatile. My wife even likes it and has no problem driving it around, something she never does in my Excursion.

PXL-20230131-194938150.jpg

PXL-20230203-203134966.jpg

PXL-20230210-223654280-MP.jpg

The ride quality was so good, and the truck was so good at being a "swiss army knife" of sorts, I decided to forego the Eibach lowering kit and start searching for a slightly more aggressive tire that I would be happy with at stock ride height. As you guys know, wheel and tire combinations for the vehicle are limited. The truck was a looker, but still a bit too "cute" for my tastes with the factory footwear and I needed something that made me bit a bit more proud behind those tinted windows without breaking the bank...or the MPG's.

My search began and took me many directions, but as with most things in life, a spreadsheet solved the puzzle. One thing I wanted to maintain was tire and wheel profile as close to stock to maintain as much MPG as possible. I believe this combo is one of the best solutions you can currently find.

The stock wheel weight 26.2 lbs and the stock tire weighs 24.9 lbs. Now, this is not much of a fair fight right off the bat because OEM tires are notoriously stingy with tread depth usually ringing in at around 7/32's instead of the 11 or 12/32's of pretty much any other tire you would buy as a replacement. OEM tires are the equivalent of the factory toner cartridge that comes with your printer...good enough to get you started, but never as good as the replacements. Because of the lower tread depth, the weight is lower. So you may very well have a particular tire that weighs a couple pounds lighter as the OEM tire than the "standard" factory replacement would be.

PXL-20230315-223104009.jpg

PXL-20230315-223002520.jpg

After contacting multiple wheel manufactures (the wheel marketplace is an absolute mess) I began to narrow down my selections. I settled on the Advanti Hybris wheel (Made by Konig). The wheel was factory diameter of 17" but 1/2 inch wider at 7.5" inches vs the factory 7". The offset was set at 45, which consequently puts the outside edge of the wheel EXACTLY where the factory one sits, to the mm (vs the factory 38mm). The extra width of the wheel shows up inboard, toward the strut and brakes. I was hoping this would help curb MPG loss that you typically see by going wider beyond the fender. The wheels weighed in at an average of 17.2 lbs, cutting exactly 9 lbs of weight from the factory steel wheel.

There are many on/off road tires now, and Ford uses those on these trucks depending upon the package, but even the tire on the Tremor for me is just not quite aggressive looking enough for my tastes. I searched to find the lightest factory size, true A/T tire available, and that turned out to be the big brother of the factory Tremor tire...The Pirelli ATR "Plus". Most tire places showed this tire to weigh 28 lbs, but again, I emailed Pirelli to confirm. They confirmed that in fact the tires are 27.8 lbs and are lightest in the category at this size. Once ordering and receiving the tires, I of course confirmed weight myself and got a slightly heavier 28.29, 28.50, 28.50 and 28.13 for an average of 28.35 lbs, or a 3.45 lb weight GAIN over the stock road tire.

PXL-20230315-191927863.jpg

PXL-20230315-185737115.jpg

In total this combination saves 5.5lbs per corner over the factory setup and, at least in my opinion looks much better. Now, will it get factory MPG's? I doubt it. One thing you have to take into account is that even though this is factory sized tires, it will sit with a bit more contact patch on the slightly wider wheel, and this type of tire will have significantly more rolling resistance than the street tire it came with. Additionally, though the total combo is lighter, the tire is heavier and the tire sits further away from the center of the axle. Weight gets harder to spin further away from it's source, so the additional weight savings will not be translated 100%. I am too dumb to do the calculation on what the effective change would be removing weight close to the axle (wheel) and gaining weight away from the axle (tire) but I am sure some young whipper-snapper with a physics degree can tell us.

DSCF5927.jpg

DSCF5928.jpg

DSCF5939.jpg

DSCF5940.jpg

DSCF5941.jpg

What I did arrive at, is, in my opinion, a wonderful compromise. I expect a slight MPG loss, but the truck now looks quite a good bit better. So far I have simply just added black tailgate letters, removed the factory chrome "hybrid" badge and replaced it with a black lightning bolt to somewhat signify its electric-hybrid roots. I I also installed a Bakflip Revolver Tonneau cover. I don't really have any future plans other than some light flexbed mod's to further increase it's utility.

DSCF5926.jpg

DSCF5934.jpg

DSCF5935.jpg

DSCF5936.jpg

DSCF5938.jpg

DSCF5946.jpg

DSCF5952.jpg

DSCF5955.jpg

DSCF5963.jpg

PXL-20230316-201717519.jpg

PXL-20230316-201743099.jpg

PXL-20230316-201800459.jpg

Purchasing the Maverick was intended to be for practicality purpose only, a tool so to speak. As it turns out, I have really grown to appreciate what Ford did with this truck and it's no wonder they don't stay on the lots for long. It really reminds me of my teenage years. Going to Sonic with my wife listening to old radio stations just reminds me of a simpler time. Its quite intriguing that the entire reason this truck has struck a chord with buyers is the overall simplicity of the package itself. I still think this truck is best bought as an XL model, especially now that cruise control is standard for 2023. They don't make them like they used to, but I have to thank Ford for rewinding the clock a bit with a new model that inspires old memories.
Too bad you couldn't make a longer post.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burdy

Burdy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm
Too bad you couldn't make a longer post.
There are pictures included specifically for those like you who can't read. I try to appease everybody.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks good, what is the load rating for the wheels? Are they hub centric for the Maverick?

I put Continental Crosscontact ATRs on my Hybrid, 25lbs each, and their more square profile equates to an additional 1” tread width in the stock 225 size...

OP
OP
Burdy

Burdy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks good, what is the load rating for the wheels? Are they hub centric for the Maverick?

I put Continental Crosscontact ATRs on my Hybrid, 25lbs each, and their more square profile equates to an additional 1” tread width in the stock 225 size...

Load rating is 1521. I had to use a hub centric ring to bring it from the wheels opening of 71.1 to the Mav's 63.4

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Load rating is 1521. I had to use a hub centric ring to bring it from the wheels opening of 71.1 to the Mav's 63.4

👍

Your 3 buddies look happy in the back, do something (extra) nice for them....

good luck...

Penhallshortbus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Promaster
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Love the look of the new shoes.

Sponsored

Carbonite Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Awesome post and totally agree that the XL package is where the Maverick shines! Absolutely LOVE the subdued black lightning bolt in replacement of the hybrid badge. If I had a hybrid I'd totally steal that idea haha.

Deb from MN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deborah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When Ford first announced the new Maverick, I knew right away it was a vehicle I wanted. A pickup truck starting at or below $22k is unheard of now days, much less one capable of getting MPG’s in the 40’s. After multiple attempts in early 2022 to buy one at MSRP, I located a friend-of-a-friend with a connection and was able to get in on the 2023 ordering window.

I ordered my 23' Maverick Hybrid back in September 2022 and received it in mid January 2023 and after tax, tag and delivery from Florida to Georgia, I paid $26k out-the-door. The goal was a low cost (hence buying the base XL model) extra vehicle for my wife and I and for extended family to drive if they were in town and we needed to be using our own vehicles. I was looking for something that gets better mileage than my Excursion 7.3 which had just turned over 500,000 miles and something more practical than my wife's little 2 door coupe...if and when she had errands to run that required a truck. The Maverick basically was bought to fill the roll of what most people use a Honda Civic for, but I knew a bed was mandatory.

PXL-20230315-193440997.jpg

PXL-20230315-193455358.jpg

I really expected not much from the truck, I mean lets face, it is the cheapest new road legal vehicle you can buy with a bed on it and I figured N.V.H. would be an issue, ride quality would be sub par and build quality would mean interior rattles from day one. I have only put 1100 miles on it, so everything could come apart down the road, but initial impressions are much better than expected. I take the truck to the park with weights to work out a bit after a run, drive the dogs to Sonic for meals, and take the trash to the dump. It is just so versatile. My wife even likes it and has no problem driving it around, something she never does in my “big ole” Excursion.

PXL-20230131-194938150.jpg

PXL-20230203-203134966.jpg

PXL-20230210-223654280-MP.jpg

The ride quality was so comfortable, and the truck was so good at being a "swiss army knife" of sorts, I decided to forego the Eibach lowering kit and start searching for a slightly more aggressive tire that I would be happy with at stock ride height. Wheel and tire combinations for the vehicle are currently limited. The truck was a looker, but still a bit too "cute" for my tastes with the factory footwear and I needed something that made me bit a bit more proud behind those tinted windows without breaking the bank...or the MPG's.

My search began and took me many directions, but as with most things in life, a spreadsheet solved the puzzle. One thing I wanted was a tire and wheel profile as close to stock as possible in order maintain as much MPG as I could. I believe this combo is one of the best solutions you can currently find.

The stock wheel weighs 26.2 lbs and the stock tire weighs 24.9 lbs. Now, this is not much of a fair fight right off the bat, because OEM tires are notoriously stingy with tread depth usually ringing in at around 7/32's instead of the 11 or 12/32's of pretty much any other tire you would buy as a replacement. OEM tires are the equivalent of the factory toner cartridge that comes with your printer...good enough to get you started, but don’t last as long as the replacements. Because of the lower tread depth, the weight is lower. So you may very well have a particular OEM tire that weighs a couple pounds lighter than the "standard" replacement would be of that very same tire. Confusing I know. Its one way manufacturers try to keep costs down.

PXL-20230315-223104009.jpg

PXL-20230315-223002520.jpg

After contacting multiple wheel manufactures (the wheel marketplace is an absolute mess) I began to narrow down my selections. I settled on the Advanti Hybris wheel (Made by Konig). The wheel was factory diameter of 17" but 1/2 inch wider at 7.5" inches vs the factory 7" wheel. The offset was set at 45, which consequently puts the outside edge of the wheel EXACTLY where the factory one sits, to the mm (vs the factory 38mm). The extra width of the wheel shows up inboard, toward the strut and brakes. I was hoping this would help curb MPG loss that you typically see by going wider beyond the fender. The wheels weighed in at an average of 17.2 lbs, cutting exactly 9 lbs of weight from the factory steel wheel. The load rating on these wheels are sufficient at 1521 lbs per corner. I did have to use hub centric rings to bring it from the wheel's 71.1mm opening to the Maverick's hub of 63.4mm.

JR-WHEELS.png

There are many on/off road tires now, and Ford uses those on these trucks depending upon the package, but even the tire on the Tremor package for me is just not quite aggressive looking enough for my tastes. I searched to find the lightest factory size, true A/T tire available, and that turned out to be the big brother of the factory Tremor tire...The Pirelli ATR "Plus". Most tire sellers showed this tire to weigh 28 lbs, but again, I emailed Pirelli to confirm. They confirmed that in fact the tires are 27.8 lbs and are the lightest in the category at this size. Once ordering and receiving the tires, I of course confirmed weight myself and got a slightly heavier 28.29, 28.50, 28.50 and 28.13 for an average of 28.35 lbs, or a 3.45 lb weight GAIN over the stock road tire.

PXL-20230315-191927863.jpg

PXL-20230315-185737115.jpg

DSCF5927.jpg

DSCF5928.jpg

DSCF5939.jpg

DSCF5940.jpg

DSCF5941.jpg

What I did arrive at, is, in my opinion, a wonderful compromise. I expect a slight MPG loss, but the truck now looks quite a good bit better. So far I have simply just added black tailgate letters, removed the factory chrome "hybrid" badge and replaced it with a black lightning bolt to somewhat signify its electric-hybrid roots. I also installed a Bakflip Revolver Tonneau cover. I don't really have any future plans other than some light flexbed mod's to further increase it's utility.

DSCF5926.jpg

DSCF5934.jpg

DSCF5935.jpg

DSCF5936.jpg

DSCF5938.jpg

DSCF5946.jpg

DSCF5952.jpg

DSCF5955.jpg

DSCF5963.jpg

PXL-20230316-201717519.jpg

PXL-20230316-201743099.jpg

PXL-20230316-201800459.jpg

Purchasing the Maverick was intended to be for practicality purpose only, a tool, so to speak. As it turns out, I have really grown to appreciate what Ford did with this truck and it's no wonder they don't stay on the dealer lots for long. It really reminds me of my teenage years. Going to Sonic with my wife listening to old radio stations just reminds me of a simpler time. Its quite intriguing that the entire reason this truck has struck a chord with buyers is the overall simplicity of the package itself. I still think this truck is best bought as an XL model, especially now that cruise control is standard for 2023. They don't make them like they used to, but I have to thank Ford for rewinding the clock a bit with a new model that inspires old memories.