First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback Onyx XT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone ditched the factory switch from the nilight kit and used a panel mounted switch? I want to install this lighting kit but don't want the loose wire in the bed.
Sponsored

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello MTC members, new user here, sharing images of my newly installed tonneau cover and bed lighting additions.

Ordered the Pro X15 because I liked the look of the low-profile design and compatibility with aftermarket bed rails which I plan to install later with some kind of a bed rack. Also, I ordered through a friend who gets discounts for $398 shipped direct from Truxedo. This is the first truck I've ever owned, so I had no idea some of these tonneau covers are over $1000! Only a few pics below... might need to make a few adjustments to make it more taught, but otherwise no complaints!

PXL_20211231_181802657.jpg

PXL_20211231_181753846.jpg

And since the cover blocks the overhead cab lights (which I switched to LED), I added an inexpensive kit from Amazon. I am a complete idiot when it comes to electrical work, but the FLEXBED add-on accessory power was super simple. Hardest part was routing wires from the passenger side under the truck to meet the driver side. But the result is night and day.

BEFORE

PXL_20220103_222013053.jpg

AFTER

PXL_20220103_222022235.jpg

EDIT 2/3/2022

it's been raining all day. Just adding an image of the bed and how much water was let in. No complaints as I didn't expect this cover to be water tight

PXL_20220204_030256943.MP.jpg
I have the same setup on my truck. I went, however, with just one strip of lights on the inside. I think it still gives plenty of light and made the install super easy by avoiding running the wires under the truck.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9167

Has anyone ditched the factory switch from the nilight kit and used a panel mounted switch? I want to install this lighting kit but don't want the loose wire in the bed.
I double-face taped the switch to the plastic panel, right behind the mounting hook. It's out of the way and not dangling.

FordRick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the same setup on my truck. I went, however, with just one strip of lights on the inside. I think it still gives plenty of light and made the install super easy by avoiding running the wires under the truck.
Is it feasible to get a longer light strip that can go all the way from the right, front and left side of the bed? I'm also wanting to avoid running wires under the truck if possible. I'll go under the truck if I have to. Just looking to make it easier.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello MTC members, new user here, sharing images of my newly installed tonneau cover and bed lighting additions.

Ordered the Pro X15 because I liked the look of the low-profile design and compatibility with aftermarket bed rails which I plan to install later with some kind of a bed rack. Also, I ordered through a friend who gets discounts for $398 shipped direct from Truxedo. This is the first truck I've ever owned, so I had no idea some of these tonneau covers are over $1000! Only a few pics below... might need to make a few adjustments to make it more taught, but otherwise no complaints!

PXL_20211231_181802657.jpg

PXL_20211231_181753846.jpg

And since the cover blocks the overhead cab lights (which I switched to LED), I added an inexpensive kit from Amazon. I am a complete idiot when it comes to electrical work, but the FLEXBED add-on accessory power was super simple. Hardest part was routing wires from the passenger side under the truck to meet the driver side. But the result is night and day.

BEFORE

PXL_20220103_222013053.jpg

AFTER

PXL_20220103_222022235.jpg

EDIT 2/3/2022

it's been raining all day. Just adding an image of the bed and how much water was let in. No complaints as I didn't expect this cover to be water tight

PXL_20220204_030256943.MP.jpg
Do you still like the cover? Can you close the tailgate with the cover closed?

Sponsored

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To get a proper seal you need to unlatch the cover and raise it out of the way a hair when you close the tailgate. A minor thing

FordRick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes a few people in the forum have. I can't remember who, but someone posted a link to Amazon for the same lights and the switch that he used.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9167

Is it feasible to get a longer light strip that can go all the way from the right, front and left side of the bed? I'm also wanting to avoid running wires under the truck if possible. I'll go under the truck if I have to. Just looking to make it easier.
It is possible. Honestly running wires under the truck is easier than I thought. There is a ton of room and existing looms to help you out. I didn't remove either tail light to do mine.

I do like the cover. And no, you can't close the gate with the cover latched. My only complaint, really.
Sponsored