Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For the year before I received my Maverick all I drove was a two door Silverado and a VW Tiguan.

Over the weekend I drove my new pickup for the fourth time, a trip to the recycling center. I turned it on, it’s a hybrid, went to put it in gear and my right hand flailed around the cab before finally finding the transmission selector.

When I got on the road and up to speed, I set the cruse and proceeded to slow down. Unlike the VW, the cruse must be turned on every time the Maverick is turned on.

I stopped for a traffic light. When I thought the light was about to turn green, I wiggled my foot and panicked when the engine did not start. It’s a hybrid not ICE with auto stop start.

At the recycling center after unloading the bed, opened the door and got in the back seat.
Sponsored

Mike215

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ROFL

Don806

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, Also a 2000 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I would leave the auto stop turned OFF in my Escape. Hated it at stoplights, always worried the vehicle wasn't going to start back up sometime. The dial shifter has been an adjustment, but after a week or so, I got used to it.

Last edited:

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The dial shifter takes time to get use to, but it's not a new concept since luxury vehicles went to the dial years ago.

Cruise control automatically turns off and does not reset. This is normal with the vehicles in my lifetime (Prius, Sonata PlugIn Hybrid, Accord, Civic, Mercedes Benz, etc).

The hybrid engine does not always kick on when taking off from a stop depending on the accelerator pedal pressure. This is normal.

There will be quirks that are no where near what other vehicles are like. Mavericks are a simple compact truck. Lovin' mine :)

Phinney Ridge Dave

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 MB GLK 250 Bluetec 4matic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For the year before I received my Maverick all I drove was a two door Silverado and a VW Tiguan.

Over the weekend I drove my new pickup for the fourth time, a trip to the recycling center. I turned it on, it’s a hybrid, went to put it in gear and my right hand flailed around the cab before finally finding the transmission selector.

When I got on the road and up to speed, I set the cruse and proceeded to slow down. Unlike the VW, the cruse must be turned on every time the Maverick is turned on.

I stopped for a traffic light. When I thought the light was about to turn green, I wiggled my foot and panicked when the engine did not start. It’s a hybrid not ICE with auto stop start.

At the recycling center after unloading the bed, opened the door and got in the back seat.
Your post reminds me of my first trip to the recycle center in my Maverick Hybrid too, ... missed the turn, so hung a U-ie, didn't quite make it, got a little shot of adrenaline when I realized I was in the middle of the road with no muscle memory as to where reverse was!

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
LOL

It does take some getting used to. Ford has their own way of doing things, as do all manufacturers. I came out of a mazda and the little things trip you up.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I leave the auto stop turned OFF in my hybrid. Hated it at stoplights in the escape, always worried the vehicle wasn't going to start back up sometime. The dial shifter has been an adjustment, but after a week or so, I got used to it.
There is no way to turn off auto stop on a hybrid.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Trouble adapting coming from Silverado and Tiguan newtricks

Sponsored

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
My wife drove a Pontiac Vibe 5-spd for 13 years before she got her Maverick back in January of this year. After 10 months and almost 5000 miles she STILL sometimes reaches for the stick and her left foot searches for the third petal.:LOL:

So yeah like others have said Ford has their own way of doing things and it just takes some time to get used to a new vehicle.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most people who are anti-auto start/stop grew up in an era where you had to hold your tongue the right way for the engine to start. Today, cars are so hooked up with computers and sensors and the starter is so overbuilt the auto start/stop is likely the most reliable part of the automobile. I've never heard of anyone having that particular piece fail. Even my car won't turn on the capability if the battery is low.

It does take getting used to. However, it is something you can control. In my Escape, if I don't push the brake done completely, it won't engage as it thinks I'm stopping at a stop sign and about to start moving again. Also, if I know the light is about to turn green, I will lightly let up pressure on the brake which turns the engine back on.

Honestly, I've come to prefer the few moments of stillness at the lights now.

Feldgary53

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick incoming, ‘13 Porsche 911,‘19 Audi Q3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most people who are anti-auto start/stop grew up in an era where you had to hold your tongue the right way for the engine to start. Today, cars are so hooked up with computers and sensors and the starter is so overbuilt the auto start/stop is likely the most reliable part of the automobile. I've never heard of anyone having that particular piece fail. Even my car won't turn on the capability if the battery is low.

It does take getting used to. However, it is something you can control. In my Escape, if I don't push the brake done completely, it won't engage as it thinks I'm stopping at a stop sign and about to start moving again. Also, if I know the light is about to turn green, I will lightly let up pressure on the brake which turns the engine back on.

Honestly, I've come to prefer the few moments of stillness at the lights now.
Another trick I use in my Ranger and Audi is slightly turn the steering wheel and it will start.
Most times I turn it off but it’s nice to have if you are going to be sitting awhile waiting for a train etc. When I had the Audi in for scheduled maintenance I asked the advisor about defaulting the auto stop to off and was told he couldn’t and I should be thankful I have an off button as manufacturers would likely not give you the option to turn it off in the future.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree about the cruise control. I’ve always thought the system should remember your setting and reengage with just the touch Resume.

Just my opinion. That and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid