Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
$2 instead of $1? 🤣

Dealer didn't even want to quote my trade-in so the vending machine got it. They've had it for ~2.5 months and still can't sell it. Currently asking $1,240 over what they paid for it, after coming down $3,000.
Mine was a 2008 Kia Sorento. It had under 100k miles and I kept it clean. Paint and interior were fantastic. I told my dealer give me 4k for it and I bet you can sell it for 8k in this market. He said sounds good. He was able to sell it within one week for 8k…
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine was a 2008 Kia Sorento. It had under 100k miles and I kept it clean. Paint and interior were fantastic. I told my dealer give me 4k for it and I bet you can sell it for 8k in this market. He said sounds good. He was able to sell it within one week for 8k…
Totally read that as 2x KBB value and made a bad joke, my bad.

Sad but not really surprising in this market. Well, what the market was up until it started to crater recently...

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have a scheduled build date of 12/12 and delivery ETA of 1/11-1/17. Let’s ASSUME that all holds true. What is everyone’s experience with dealerships valuing their trade in vehicle since they hold all the leverage with the Maverick and know you can't go down the street to get another one? Are you seeing fair offers for your trade? Are you selling to Carvana, Carmax, etc... prior? Appreciate everyone's insight and own experience with their Maverick purchase.
My experience has been that dealerships offers suck big times.

In selling my 2015 Honda Fit Ex last year I was only offered $12,500 at a Honda dealer and only $11,750 at the dealership where I purchased my ordered MY22 Maverick.

I sold to Carvana for $16,523 which was $4023 over the best dealership offer.

Dealerships are known as stealerships by selling high to you and buying low from you so best to avoid them.

Last edited:

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's what I did. My old car wasn't worth that much and I didn't want to be bothered selling it, paying taxes, etc., so I went in with some counteroffers and they gave me what I asked in trade. We weren't far apart to start but having options is what negotiating is all about.
You would not pay any taxes unless you sold it for more than you paid for it which as you mentioned it was old so I doubt that would happen so no taxes at all.

As for selling I sold to Carvana and it was extremely easy: Got a quote online from them, set time for them to pick it up, took 10 minutes max on appointment day and was handed a cashiers check from Wells Fargo which I deposited at Bank of America without any issues.

RLader

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB Bronco Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your trade value has likely gone down significantly in the last 2 months. Unfortunately the best time to trade was earlier this year. Use car prices are tanking, and dealers are getting a lot more conservative with trade offers. Get multiple offers, including from whatever brand your trade is. Most dealers will buy from you directly just like Carmax.

I just sold (not traded) my 2017 Chevy Cruze with 198k on it. Carmax offered $1800. Carvana offered $434, the Ford dealer where I bought my Maverick offered $1000, and the Chevy dealer where I bought my Bolt offered $2500.
Used car prices vary by region right now. So listen to the advice but do some research locally. Also trading in may have sales tax advantages to factor in. Good Luck!

Sponsored

RLader

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB Bronco Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You would not pay any taxes unless you sold it for more than you paid for it which as you mentioned it was old so I doubt that would happen so no taxes at all.

As for selling I sold to Carvana and it was extremely easy: Got a quote online from them, set time for them to pick it up, took 10 minutes max on appointment day and was handed a cashiers check from Wells Fargo which I deposited at Bank of America without any issues.
If you don't trade it in on the vehicle you are purchasing, you will probably have to pay sales tax on the full amount. In Alabama the trade-in reduces the amount sales tax is paid on.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dealer offered me $2000 for my 2005 Sport Trac with 165,000 miles. Carvana and others were even less.

I sold it in less than 24 hours on Facebook for $5300.

Grozk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Santa Cruz, Cayman, Mroadster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just to add: make sure you check with your state about sales tax credit. Most will give you credit for selling your car privately in addition to trading it in. (i don’t know about all states laws but the several that I have lived do allow credit with several months grace either direction before or after a new car purchase).

Maverickblues

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 F-150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I didn't want to complicate my dealership experience by adding the trade-in component ... and I didn't believe any offer would pencil out regardless. So after taking possession of the Maverick, I sold my 1999 Ranger XLT to a private party using "TRED," for about $2,300.00 more than the Carmax type offers.
I like to settle on financing and price on the car I am buying. I never talk trade in until then. Then I ask them what they would give me for my vehicle. I will share with them my best offer from Carvana etc. They are a little snippy when you do it that way, but it takes all their leverage away.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those who mention "sales tax" credit when trading in to a dealer need to be aware of the actual sales tax rate to see if it is worth trading it in or selling out right.

Also the "sales tax" rules are different state to state so be aware of your state's rules.

Here in Texas the sales tax rate is 6.25% and the sales tax credit is only available if you trade in to the dealership you are purchasing your vehicle from.

If you sell your vehicle to a different dealership or to one of the many online car companies then there is no sales tax credit available on purchase.

Example for my MY22 Maverick purchase last year was that the dealership I was buying my Maverick from was only offering me $11,750 on my 2015 Honda Fit Ex with 43,800 miles on it.

So sales tax credit of 6.25% on $11,750 is $734.38 which is total value of $12,484.38.

So any offer above the $12,484.38 amount at any other dealership or online car companies would be a better deal.

Needless to say Carvana's offer of $16,523 was way better (to the tune of $4,038.62 better) than trading in to the dealership where I bought my Maverick.

Ford Maverick Trade in experience Carvana Honda Fit $16,523 offer.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I didn't want to complicate my dealership experience by adding the trade-in component ... and I didn't believe any offer would pencil out regardless. So after taking possession of the Maverick, I sold my 1999 Ranger XLT to a private party using "TRED," for about $2,300.00 more than the Carmax type offers.
Phinney RIdge in the house- Great farmers market and beer next door - Sold our place there a couple years back- Fun area.

cbcarter7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have a scheduled build date of 12/12 and delivery ETA of 1/11-1/17. Let’s ASSUME that all holds true. What is everyone’s experience with dealerships valuing their trade in vehicle since they hold all the leverage with the Maverick and know you can't go down the street to get another one? Are you seeing fair offers for your trade? Are you selling to Carvana, Carmax, etc... prior? Appreciate everyone's insight and own experience with their Maverick purchase.
Unrelated to your actual question - But how do you know your delivery ETA?

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dealer offered 11, 500 for our 140K miles 2011 highlander- Good shape but large side dent- interior pretty beat with kids crayons and stuff blended into the leather- Took that offer instantly and it also saved us about $750 on sales tax-

sjJohnny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Bronco Black Diamond
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought a Maverick as a gap vehicle from Granger, until my Bronco came in. Drove it for 6 months, put 6K+ miles on it. Needed to sell when Bronco came in and got offers from 5 dealers - Carmax, carvana, vroom, givemeyouvin, one other and an Auction Estimate from Carmigo. Most offers were around 33K or little over, Carmigo's estimate was 36.5. Carmigo suggested a reserve at 35.5, I said great. Setup super easy, all online, 1 day auction. Highest bidder was 35.4 - I said sold! Local Transport comes to pick up truck and inspect, I call Carmigo, get a copy of wire transfer emailed on the spot - transport takes truck. Super easy. Bought truck for 26,800 plus tonneau, sold for 35,400. I found the truck on the internet in Indiana, near Chicago for 41,163. Anyway, something you might consider. Very interesting business model, Carmigo is based out of Tupelo, MS. They charge a $350 flat fee. I'll link my referral code below, which will give you $50 (and me a $100 visa card) if you sell through them.

https://app.carmigo.io/#/referral/SVE91F
Sponsored