Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
'16 Audi S3, '19 F-150 5.0, '06 Mazdaspeed 6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So today I got a call that someone backed out of their maverick special order. I have been looking for awhile now but decided to not "order" one. I'm good with just what they have to offer on the lot. Either way, I show up with my 2019 F-150 XLT 5.0 Sport with roughly 72,500 miles on it. I know the truck isn't anything crazy and I don't expect some astronomical trade value. Told the dealer they had 1 shot at the trade in or I walk. 17k for a basically perfect truck minus mileage. Was told that the "sport" package and the add ons have ZERO value. I asked them to please give me my 12k back then from when I bought new, since it has no value. Clearly knowing that this isn't the case. I'm not new to the dealership game, I've worked auto finance before. Either way, I sorta blew a gasket on the trade in number. I mean here in the Houston area, these trucks sell for 30+ all day and quickly in this new f*cked up market. I was walking out and they wanted to give me 22-23k all of the sudden, but I was already over it at that point. Would like to hear some thoughts on what others would do in this situation. Thanks guys
Sponsored

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did something similar when I purchased my new-to-me 2014 Wrangler Rubicon in 2016. I knew my trade was worth $17K. When the sales rep came back from giving my keys to the manager for evaluation and started his pitch on what a great deal he had for me, I immediately told him we wouldn't be having any conversation before I had my keys back.

He went and got them back for me, then proceeded to tell me the great deal was $14K trade-in. I thanked him for his time and walked out. As I was reaching my car, he came running out after me and increased the trade-in to $16K, which was close enough for me to accept since they had a decent price on the Wrangler to start.

You just have to understand the game and not react emotionally, which can be hard sometimes, especially when they lowball you by that much.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That means that they currently don’t need your truck on their lot.

Just sell online to one of the major buyers..

Good luck

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would tell them what I expected and leave if they didn't meet it. $17 is insanely low for wholesale on a newer truck. That thing will wholesale at $28 anywhere in the country in a heartbeat, deep south for even more. That said, hate the game not the player. If you walked out every time they made you mad you'd likely never buy a car again.

OP
OP
nick_2.x

nick_2.x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh I totally understand the game and that's why I walked. The new market is weird to me. Again I "knew" the game before this but I also assumed they would give me a far better number to begin with. Kbb, NADA, Black Book, all have my trade at 24+, so to be hit with 17k about blew my mind. These sites aren't always accurate of whatever, but I know they are a good starting point. We used black book when I was a finance manager. So fast forward so many years later and a different market. My understanding is these sites have not compensated for the inflated market. That leads me to believe the numbers are low. I don't care about all of that, I want a fair trade value. My truck was 50k+ brand new and again I watch these lesser trucks sell here for 32-35k all day. Maybe I don't understand this new market and I'm the assh*le? Idk

Sponsored

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So today I got a call that someone backed out of their maverick special order. I have been looking for awhile now but decided to not "order" one. I'm good with just what they have to offer on the lot. Either way, I show up with my 2019 F-150 XLT 5.0 Sport with roughly 72,500 miles on it. I know the truck isn't anything crazy and I don't expect some astronomical trade value. Told the dealer they had 1 shot at the trade in or I walk. 17k for a basically perfect truck minus mileage. Was told that the "sport" package and the add ons have ZERO value. I asked them to please give me my 12k back then from when I bought new, since it has no value. Clearly knowing that this isn't the case. I'm not new to the dealership game, I've worked auto finance before. Either way, I sorta blew a gasket on the trade in number. I mean here in the Houston area, these trucks sell for 30+ all day and quickly in this new f*cked up market. I was walking out and they wanted to give me 22-23k all of the sudden, but I was already over it at that point. Would like to hear some thoughts on what others would do in this situation. Thanks guys
What were they asking for the Mav?, MSRP? Take Kelly blue book trade value in fair to good condition then add about $1500 and that’s what your F150 is worth. I traded a 2019 F150 super crew in June of last year and got $46K in trade that was $7K more than I gave for it new. It listed new for $54K, I stole it for $39k out the door. The market has gone down a bit since then. If your taxes on new vehicle is based on trade difference, selling your F150 outright may not be such a good ideal unless the extra you get covers the extra taxes paid because you have no trade in.

OP
OP
nick_2.x

nick_2.x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What were they asking for the Mav?, MSRP? Take Kelly blue book trade value in fair to good condition then add about $1500 and that’s what your F150 is worth. I traded a 2019 F150 super crew in June of last year and got $46K in trade that was $7K more than I gave for it new. It listed new for $54K, I stole it for $39k out the door. The market has gone down a bit since then. If your taxes on new vehicle is based on trade difference, selling your F150 outright may not be such a good ideal unless the extra you get covers the extra taxes paid because you have no trade in.
I want 27k for my trade and that's beyond fair from doing my research. I would take 25k because I bought a 58k truck for 38k out the door back in 2019. I want a maverick; I don't need a maverick. If a deal makes sense, then I'm in.
They said no dealer markup to begin with but then clearly tried to put that in the pathetic trade in. The maverick will sell no doubt, probably with the markup. However, I was there today ready to make a deal. The insulting trade in price and just general attitude of the place really turned me off. Bet I own that truck by the weekend, however. I have been texted a few times from the salesman. They want to turn over inventory like any other dealer. Don't mind playing the long game honestly. It's a truck. In 2 years, the market will be flooded with them, and the value will be trash.

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I want 27k for my trade and that's beyond fair from doing my research. I would take 25k because I bought a 58k truck for 38k out the door back in 2019. I want a maverick; I don't need a maverick. If a deal makes sense, then I'm in.
They said no dealer markup to begin with but then clearly tried to put that in the pathetic trade in. The maverick will sell no doubt, probably with the markup. However, I was there today ready to make a deal. The insulting trade in price and just general attitude of the place really turned me off. Bet I own that truck by the weekend, however. I have been texted a few times from the salesman. They want to turn over inventory like any other dealer. Don't mind playing the long game honestly. It's a truck. In 2 years, the market will be flooded with them, and the value will be trash.
$27k sounds low tell me about your truck. You said it’s a 2019, 5.0 with 72K miles on it what options, color crew or extended, tires any dings glass damage etc. need any repairs.

OP
OP
nick_2.x

nick_2.x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
$27k sounds low tell me about your truck. You said it’s a 2019, 5.0 with 72K miles on it what options, color crew or extended, tires any dings glass damage etc. need any repairs.
Ford Maverick Trade F-150 for a Maverick? FF593BFE-1C1B-4F43-B87C-48254D2E01B9

OP
OP
nick_2.x

nick_2.x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Windshield needs replaced. Abyss Grey supercrew in just about perfect condition. Brand brand new tires. 1000 miles tops. Has dealer addons. Bedliner, tint, 100k bumper to bumper warranty, probably some other sh*t I’m missing.

Sponsored

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Windshield needs replaced. Abyss Grey supercrew in just about perfect condition. Brand brand new tires. 1000 miles tops. Has dealer addons. Bedliner, tint, 100k bumper to bumper warranty, probably some other sh*t I’m missing.
Your pic cut off top of window sticker but I’ll figure it a 2wd. Windshield deduct $500, new tires add $300-$500, grey good color. Miles are sort of a wash, extended warranty can’t transfer to dealer(so once traded cancel and get refund on unused portion) tailgate step and extended range fuel tank nada. All those options return maybe 1/3 what they cost you. Dealers value the trim level(xl, XLT, lariat, etc)more than the options. Example an XLT and a lariat equipped the same they give more for the lariat simply because it says lariat toot truck should be worth $26-$30k. So if they don’t jack up the Maverick price a fair trade in $27,500. So you’re on the money. So if they are not jacking up price on Mav, I’d tell them you want $30000. This is assuming your truck is 2wd

OP
OP
nick_2.x

nick_2.x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your pic cut off top of window sticker but I’ll figure it a 2wd. Windshield deduct $500, new tires add $300-$500, grey good color. Miles are sort of a wash, extended warranty can’t transfer to dealer(so once traded cancel and get refund on unused portion) tailgate step and extended range fuel tank nada. All those options return maybe 1/3 what they cost you. Dealers value the trim level(xl, XLT, lariat, etc)more than the options. Example an XLT and a lariat equipped the same they give more for the lariat simply because it says lariat toot truck should be worth $26-$30k. So if they don’t jack up the Maverick price a fair trade in $27,500. So you’re on the money. So if they are not jacking up price on Mav, I’d tell them you want $30000. This is assuming your truck is 2wd
Yeah I thought I typed 2WD. I see I didn’t. They are claiming no dealer markup but again, I believe they are trying to just put it in the trade so it “looks” better. I have another dealer 100ish miles away willing to give me close to 30k trade but they have no mavericks. It’s just a sh*tty market all around right now. Just want a damn Mav lol.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was planning on a simple purchase (had a credit union voucher) and at the last second, I asked the dealer if he was interested in my old 2003 S-10.

I had requested an offer from Carvana and another (I forget). One was $2750 and one was $6400. So the dealer asked me what I thought it was worth, and I just handed him the $6400 offer to show to the manager.

They came back and offered me $5000 (which also nets me $250 in saved sales tax). I accepted happily...a no-hassle sale of an old vehicle with standard leaky Chevy oil pan.

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah I thought I typed 2WD. I see I didn’t. They are claiming no dealer markup but again, I believe they are trying to just put it in the trade so it “looks” better. I have another dealer 100ish miles away willing to give me close to 30k trade but they have no mavericks. It’s just a sh*tty market all around right now. Just want a damn Mav lol.
Yea, Mavs are hard to find. I got lucky and found a low mile EB AWD Lariat with lux package had to give a bit over MSRP but they gave me MSRP for my 21 Ranger so I’m happy. Mav gets great mpg mid 30s on highway which is where I do most of my driving. Good luck on your hunt, hope you snag one soon and get a great deal.
Sponsored