First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey Folks, do any of you know anything about the $560 tonneau cover? As it is the cheapest of the three optional covers, I expected simply a snap-on tonneau like all of the British sports cars had, although $560 seemed a little steep. It is a "soft folding" cover. Does that mean that it is just a piece of canvas with snaps, as I figured, or does it mean that it is a sectional top that can be slid open or closed, like an accordian? My dealer had no knowledge of the truck details when I ordered it, as I was his first Maverick sale. Any info from you-all will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Hey Folks, do any of you know anything about the $560 tonneau cover? As it is the cheapest of the three optional covers, I expected simply a snap-on tonneau like all of the British sports cars had, although $560 seemed a little steep. It is a "soft folding" cover. Does that mean that it is just a piece of canvas with snaps, as I figured, or does it mean that it is a sectional top that can be slid open or closed, like an accordian? My dealer had no knowledge of the truck details when I ordered it, as I was his first Maverick sale. Any info from you-all will be greatly appreciated.
The “soft folding” is the “British” style. Basically a fancy tarp with straps and buttons. Yes $600 is way to much for that.

spend the extra 500 to get a hard cover.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the folding soft cover is like the rest of the industry (aftermarket), it is sealed along the sides with full length Velcro strips and has some sort of locking mechanism at the tailgate; there are usually steel cross bars that keep the cover taut and from sagging. The bars roll up with the cover into a need roll near the cab that is then secured with tie straps. Look at sites like Truxedo, Lund etc or just do an Amazon search for roll up pickup cover and you can find tons of info. I was going to go the aftermarket route because even really good covers are around $300. BUT... more than likely my Maverick will be delivered in the winter and I want my bed covered immediately. I really think it’s going to take the aftermarket at least 6 months to acquire a Maverick and design and manufacture a cover.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the folding soft cover is like the rest of the industry (aftermarket), it is sealed along the sides with full length Velcro strips and has some sort of locking mechanism at the tailgate; there are usually steel cross bars that keep the cover taut and from sagging. The bars roll up with the cover into a need roll near the cab that is then secured with tie straps. Look at sites like Truxedo, Lund etc or just do an Amazon search for roll up pickup cover and you can find tons of info. I was going to go the aftermarket route because even really good covers are around $300. BUT... more than likely my Maverick will be delivered in the winter and I want my bed covered immediately. I really think it’s going to take the aftermarket at least 6 months to acquire a Maverick and design and manufacture a cover.
Neat roll not need roll 🤪

OP
OP

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man, thanks Mark!! I googled "Truxedo Installation" on YouTube. It is worth a couple of hundred dollars just to not have to install it myself! With me and tools, 9 things can happen, and 8 of them are bad. I really like the tautness of the cover; if it keeps water and dirt out, it will be a godsend. I HATE Velcro, but my complaint was always with the lousy adhesive - I hope this will hold. I will only use the bed for transporting my 10-foot kayak from the garage to the boat ramp and back. The rest of the stuff I carry - groceries mainly - will fit in the cab on the seats. Thanks again. I ordered the bare-bones XL; so far, I am only anticipating Weathertech mats, but you know how that goes once they start all of the after-market goodies.

Sponsored

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since thus far the bulk of forum members haven't ordered ANY tonneau cover, is that due to preferring the aftermarket or just no such cover at all?

OP
OP

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since thus far the bulk of forum members haven't ordered ANY tonneau cover, is that due to preferring the aftermarket or just no such cover at all?
True, NA. But I am unique in Maverick owners, I suspect. I will use the bed ONLY when toting my kayak. The rest of the time the truck will be sitting outside in the weather, as I live in an apartment. I don't plan on toting anything other than groceries or people, which will both fit in the cabin. And I don't want to leave the bed open to the elements. With the trees in my apartment complex, I want to keep their detritus out of the bed. There are two other short-bed trucks in my complex, and I want to keep my bed from looking like theirs. One of them is clearly a "working" truck, so a tonneau wouldn't do him much good.

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
True, NA. But I am unique in Maverick owners, I suspect. I will use the bed ONLY when toting my kayak. The rest of the time the truck will be sitting outside in the weather, as I live in an apartment. I don't plan on toting anything other than groceries or people, which will both fit in the cabin. And I don't want to leave the bed open to the elements. With the trees in my apartment complex, I want to keep their detritus out of the bed. There are two other short-bed trucks in my complex, and I want to keep my bed from looking like theirs. One of them is clearly a "working" truck, so a tonneau wouldn't do him much good.
Makes sense - I'm getting a tonneau cover of some sort (either the soft trifold or the hard roll-up cover) because there will be many times when I'd like to cover the bed. The decision of soft or the roll-up will drive whether I go "regular" Lariat or First Edition.

Oh, and BADASS usage of the term, "detritus."

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I would go aftermarket for now. And you can ALWAYS get a cover from ford after. It’s a dealer option not factory.

Sponsored

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would go aftermarket for now. And you can ALWAYS get a cover from ford after. It’s a dealer option not factory.
Appreciate those thoughts. Any particular reason you'd prefer aftermarket?

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just want to see them/use them first to see what works best, what is easiest for me, etc. I have almost zero experience with tonneau covers and I hate spending money that I later regret.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Appreciate those thoughts. Any particular reason you'd prefer aftermarket?
There are a number of good aftermarket brands out there and lots of online reviews to help you choose. BUT, at this point we don't know if those manufacturers will do the R&D and prep for manufacturing until they can determine if the Maverick is enough of a market to justify those costs. Since we will be going into winter or in the middle of winter before any of us are taking delivery, I want my bed protected from the get go. So even though the Ford cover is at a premium (at least the roll up is almost double an aftermarket cover if you install the aftermarket yourself), I'm getting one because it's on the truck immediately and I don't have to install it in a cold garage.

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I contacted Truxedo already and the said that by the fall they will most likely have a cover ready for sale for the Maverick. They probably are the suppliers for Ford that’s why it will be ready so quickly.

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also, won’t we have Ford points we can use toward accessories and things? I think I’d rather do that. It may make it more worth it.
Sponsored