Sponsored

TELL ME HOW WRONG I AM… Buy Santa Cruz and sell when my Maverick arrives?

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sata Cruz = Pontiak Aztek.

I think of Travolta in Saturday Night Fever whenever I see one. It will go down in ugly car lore.
Sponsored

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Around here I've only seen a single Santa Cruz on the road and the Hyundai dealers have them sitting on the lot. Just be aware even if you grab one at MSRP you will take a loss especially after taxes if you get rid of it for the Maverick.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dont forget you also have to be able to tell people your Santa Cruz is a Sport Adventure Vehicle with a straight face.

OP
OP
sseiler

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Santa Cruz limited 42k
Title tax etc - 3k
Santa Cruz worth when you sell- 40k(5k loss). Usually dealers does not give awesome trade in value compared to CarMax. They have the leverage there

Let me know if you think I am wrong.
Man, that sounds awfully close. I’ll know more tomorrow when I finalize the numbers with the dealer. I’ll also find out how much I’ll have to drop on my current car for all the maintenance. I’m guessing it’ll be in the range of $2500. Could be more but hopefully less. This is money I’m dumping into this car only because my Mav won’t be delivered until June at the earliest. I could get the Sc as early as next weekend and sell the Mini to Carvana, CarMax, etc, then as well without have to spend money on maintenance.

I’d definitely take a loss on the resale of the SC. The major question is would the loss exceed the amount I have to put into the Mini and the depreciation between now and the time the Mav arrives. (Part of this is unpredictable, as the market could take a major swing and I might end up losing more than that.) It’d definitely be a gamble though.

OP
OP
sseiler

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Dont forget you also have to be able to tell people your Santa Cruz is a Sport Adventure Vehicle with a straight face.
Haha! You’re making a compelling case! 😂😂😂

Sponsored

kkgg

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man, that sounds awfully close. I’ll know more tomorrow when I finalize the numbers with the dealer. I’ll also find out how much I’ll have to drop on my current car for all the maintenance. I’m guessing it’ll be in the range of $2500. Could be more but hopefully less. This is money I’m dumping into this car only because my Mav won’t be delivered until June at the earliest. I could get the Sc as early as next weekend and sell the Mini to Carvana, CarMax, etc, then as well without have to spend money on maintenance.

I’d definitely take a loss on the resale of the SC. The major question is would the loss exceed the amount I have to put into the Mini and the depreciation between now and the time the Mav arrives. (Part of this is unpredictable, as the market could take a major swing and I might end up losing more than that.) It’d definitely be a gamble though.
If you are okay for the loss, why not buy a Maverick 2-5k over MSRP and continue with your life. You will save lot of time and haggling.

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Why not do the brakes on your Mini yourself? Looks like a couple hundred dollars and a few hours of your time. Seems worth it to get you by until your Mav comes in.

Younglefthander

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat, 22 Bronco Sport Big Ben
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After reading most of if not all of your replies on this thread sounds to me you've made up your mind and don't want to put more $$$$ into current vehicle and you know this vehicle will not make it till your current Maverick order arrives, whenever that may be. If your dead set on waiting for the Maverick then why buy a SC for 45000 (including tax) and as kkgg stated, lose 5000 once your FE arrives. Have your thought about a Bronco Sport? Find a dealer selling for MSRP (I know they are out there). A Big Ben BS w/convenient package and Co-Pilot 360 is 32,455 on the Ford site(not including tax).
In this current market that will probably last another 12-16 months (my guess anyway) I'd be surprised if you lost much money and might even break even by selling to Carvana.
Plus the BS is a fun vehicle to drive.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I
So, I test drove the Santa Cruz 2.5, and it’s pretty dang cool. I’m thinking about buying it (at MSRP) and then selling it once my Mav is delivered.

I have a first edition Lariat hybrid ordered. (Ordered 9/5; no build date yet).

The wait and the Ford allocation system has grown old, which y’all understand. The main issue is that my current car is growing older for every day I have to wait on my Mav to be delivered. My Mini is about to need break pads, rotors, alignment, etc. Basically, I’m at that point where I either drop a couple thousand into my Mini or I sell it. (And, yes, maintenance on Mini Countryman is crazy expensive… which is why I won’t own another one.) If I sell, I need a replacement. We have to be a two-car family.

Anyway, given the market, I’m thinking about buying a Santa Cruz 2.5 Limited. When my Mav is eventually built, I’ll sell the Santa Cruz. Assuming my Mav might be built and delivered by, let’s say, August (hopefully at the latest), I wouldn’t have over a few thousand miles on it. I could still sell it for close to the price I paid for it.

I’ll lose a couple thousand either way: I’ll either drop the cash to maintain my current car or I’ll possibly lose money by buying and then selling the Santa Cruz a few months later.

ok, let me have it…. How screwed up is this strategy? And why? Would I be losing more money than I think if I buy-sell the SC?

Alright, go for it… 🎯
Wouldn't go thru the hassle of buying then selling again. I'd keep what you got & fix if necessary. Or buy a beater if you had to. Don't know where you live but I'm happy to wait for Maverick till After Winter.

Sponsored

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bad idea. You don't just eat the depreciation. You also eat the taxes and fees. And the used car market will cool down, with many experts saying it will happen this year.

Pay for the repairs and keep your current car going until you get your truck.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I see your point. It just pains me to drop money into the Mini knowing it won’t help with resale; it’ll just help me get by until the Mav arrives. Basically, the Mav gets more expensive for me by the day. In addition to dropping more cash into the Mini, it has 74k on it, so, at this point, adding another 10k (miles) or more to it while waiting for the Mav to be built will really eat into the resale. I’m just watching my car’s value depreciate before my eyes. 😫
Your Mini has major issues at just 74k miles? What kinda vehicle doesn't easily surpass 100k these days?

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Santa Cruz is one ugly bi@#*. It looks like a pouffy styled vainglorious hunk of Doller General crap. At least the Mav kinda looks truckish.
"Truckish?" And that's important because...?
I have a Maverick on order because it was the better deal and a hybrid will keep saving me money but if the Santa Cruz were equal in price and came as a hybrid, I'd go for the innovative design. Being "truckish" wasn't a consideration. Heck, the Ranger is more stylish than the Maverick. Dare to be different!

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, I test drove the Santa Cruz 2.5, and it’s pretty dang cool. I’m thinking about buying it (at MSRP) and then selling it once my Mav is delivered.

I have a first edition Lariat hybrid ordered. (Ordered 9/5; no build date yet).

The wait and the Ford allocation system has grown old, which y’all understand. The main issue is that my current car is growing older for every day I have to wait on my Mav to be delivered. My Mini is about to need break pads, rotors, alignment, etc. Basically, I’m at that point where I either drop a couple thousand into my Mini or I sell it. (And, yes, maintenance on Mini Countryman is crazy expensive… which is why I won’t own another one.) If I sell, I need a replacement. We have to be a two-car family.

Anyway, given the market, I’m thinking about buying a Santa Cruz 2.5 Limited. When my Mav is eventually built, I’ll sell the Santa Cruz. Assuming my Mav might be built and delivered by, let’s say, August (hopefully at the latest), I wouldn’t have over a few thousand miles on it. I could still sell it for close to the price I paid for it.

I’ll lose a couple thousand either way: I’ll either drop the cash to maintain my current car or I’ll possibly lose money by buying and then selling the Santa Cruz a few months later.

ok, let me have it…. How screwed up is this strategy? And why? Would I be losing more money than I think if I buy-sell the SC?

Alright, go for it… 🎯
Ha ha ha interesting conundrum. First off you're probably in a no lose situation, mainly because of the chip shortage. I needed to get rid of my Wife’s Fiesta SE to get the Maverick. I was hoping that as a trade in it would cover what we owed $2,200.00 (it was a 2016 Ford Fiesta SE with 88,000 miles on it that I bought brand new for her) i was hoping to get 3 or 4 grand for it, we got $6,200.00 for it. Crazy market Crazy times. If you feel bold go for it. Worst case scenario, you lose a grand or two. Best case scenario, you don't:) and you'll get to sell the vehicle you don't want. One, for about what you paid, the other? Probably 5 to 8 grand more then what you paid for it. But you can't go by me, I traded in my 2014 F-150 with 13,001 miles on it for my 2018 F-150 in September of 2017 because I wanted the bigger screen on the 2018. Oh and I pitted 2 dealers against each other and saved over 3 grand by doing that. Oh the best part was dealer number one (that I bought the 2014 and 5 other new vehicles from over the years) was selling me a brand new 2017 150, dealer number 2 was selling me a 2018, giving more money for my truck with 13k miles on it, $3,000.00 more to be exact AND the total deal was that 3 grand LESS then the 2017. And that was long before the chip shortage, imagine what you could do now:) Good luck whichever way you go:)

Last edited:

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't get the hate on the SC, I think its a really nice vehicle, but one reason that Hyundais in general depreciate more is because you pay big bucks baked into the price for that 10 year 100K mile warranty, after all something similar will run you another $2K at least on the Maverick. But that's only for the first owner and isn't a transferable warranty, so people are more inclined to buy a brand new SC over a 1 year old one, plus SCs aren't special-order only like a Maverick where people will wait forever. In fact, Hyundai doesn't really have a real ordering system, you can just indicate what your preferences are and they'll ring you when one happens to come in.

If you were going to keep the SC, that's another story, although I'd probably go with either a SE AWD or a SEL Premium AWD if splurging.
Sponsored