First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How about having a button labeled with a ”?” that when you push it the screen shows a list of the icons and their meanings. Of course it should be disabled when the vehicle is moving for safety.
If the display of screen icons and their meaning must be disabled when in motion, then it follows that the input/display screen itself should ALSO be disabled as once you determine which icon to touch, by LOOKING, you are just as distracted as if it was the decoder display. Exactly what is the difference...?
To use a touch screen to control ANYTHING, it needs to be viewed to insure hand/eye coordination... and that you don't turn up the radio when you meant to turn on the defroster. That requires focusing on the display rather than the road.
Never did make sense to me.
tom
Sponsored

mindewos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nentos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Early Symbols and Their Purpose:
Symbols have a rich history, serving various functions throughout civilization.
Early symbols were used to organize order from chaos, helping people communicate and understand their environment. Purchase Autodesk Revit 2024 online and save at ProCADIS.com.
These symbols were often clear, unique, and refined, omitting non-essential details.
As written language developed, symbols played a crucial role in early handwriting.
Modern Appliance Symbols:
Today, symbols are ubiquitous in our lives, especially in commerce and everyday products.
Appliances often use symbols to convey information more efficiently than text labels.
Unfortunately, this shift can be challenging for those accustomed to traditional labels.
For example, energy efficiency labels (like A, B, C, etc.) indicate how efficient an electrical appliance is.

Last edited:

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL 2.0 AWD 4K CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had to use the restroom on a trip the other day, so I hit the poop button. It worked perfectly because the next sign I saw was “Rest Area next exit.”

Ford Maverick Symbols instead of letters is pain for old folks IMG_7656

CD_SM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6 '06
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I am getting old enough to really like that Mav has physical HVAC controls and volume/tune knobs, I still feel like this whole thread can be summed up in 4 words: "Get off my lawn!" (LOL - no insult intended)

Jelvismc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One could argue that reading an analog clock isn't necessary, but there are plenty of those still around so I get the point there... but no one - absolutely no one - today has any reason to need to know how to use a rotary phone. That is something you will simply never encounter again.
Got one in my home!

Sponsored

CD_SM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6 '06
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're a lot more likely to encounter an analog clock than a rotary dial telephone! All my scouts know what a clock is, but a lot of them would have no idea about a rotary phone.

While we're on the subject of common things the youngs can't use, let me bring up ... shoelaces. Velcro shoes should go away too until at least age 18 sp you have to learn to tie. A disturbing number of teens either tie their shoes like a toddler or don't even bother. Not all shoes are meant to be loafers! (Now get off my lawn.)

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have found it best to forsake a lot of this crap and do my best to ignore it. I'm still working on just getting the symbols in my Maverick down pat after 6 months. I could be a Luddite.
Sponsored