Sponsored

Steering Column ergonomics?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6544
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Deleted member 6544

I did a search and didn't find anything. Any comments from current Maverick drivers as to the telescopic steering column? I myself, although only six foot tall am all legs with a 34 inch inseam. The ergonomics of modern SUVs with their short stubby noses leaves my legs scrunched up while my arms are damn near straight at the elbows. I love the telescopic steering column in the Corvette. I can have my legs extended and arms bent with comfort. I am looking forward to it in the Maverick.
Sponsored

thunaman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
it has a telescopic steering column. are you looking for more specifics?

OP
OP

Deleted member 6544

it has a telescopic steering column. are you looking for more specifics?
Yes I knew it did. I was just wondering how folks like it, and or if they even use it. Back in the day lots of cars had them but then seemed to go out of fashion, (or lost for cost reduction).

Crowley Cajun

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes I knew it did. I was just wondering how folks like it, and or if they even use it. Back in the day lots of cars had them but then seemed to go out of fashion, (or lost for cost reduction).
I test drove an XLT. I’m 6’4” and the telescopic wheel was great. I also have 34” inseam and was able to get very comfortable adjustment with the steering wheel. Only a 10 minute drive but no problem for me for that short time.

oldfatguy

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997ranger 2006 fusion 2001 bmw330ci 2004.5w3500
i'm 6 ft and my wife is 5'8" and we are able to not move anything at all and we are both good with it , i have moved the column around and thought there is plenty of adjustment

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 6544

I test drove an XLT. I’m 6’4” and the telescopic wheel was great. I also have 34” inseam and was able to get very comfortable adjustment with the steering wheel. Only a 10 minute drive but no problem for me for that short time.
That's great and thanks for the reply. I'm really looking forward to driving a vehicle dailey that will be comfortable.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6544

i'm 6 ft and my wife is 5'8" and we are able to not move anything at all and we are both good with it , i have moved the column around and thought there is plenty of adjustment
Awesome and good for you. Thanks for the reply. I won't be getting mine til probably May, birthday present?!!

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You ought to be just fine.

Consider the adjustable column a benefit of...

...trickle down ergonomics.
🙃

OP
OP

Deleted member 6544

You ought to be just fine.

Consider the adjustable column a benefit of...

...trickle down ergonomics.
🙃
Unfortunately I'm old enough to get it, and great play on words!

OP
OP

Deleted member 6544

The steering wheel functions just fine ergonomically, but I find it a bit chunkier than it needs to be. It definitely obscures some dash stuff. I have to move my head far to the left to be able to see the lighting controls for instance. I also wish that one of the 10 screen options would be a giant number in the middle with my current speed...
Interesting, I'll look for that. Thanks for the honest response.

Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm short at 5' 7" and the adjustments are more than I need. I suspect that the telescopic and up/down adjustable range will fit many.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Many vehicles with telescopic steering column lost that option when air bags arrived. It will be nice to have that option back again.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm 6'-1" and 370 lbs. I had no problem telescoping and raising the Maverick steering wheel into a good position. Exactly the same fit as my full size Lincoln Mark LT when it comes to distance from steering wheel to body, above my lap and in front of my gut. That's with the seat all the way back, of course.

It's probably helps I have long arms. If someone had my girth and short arms and needed to sit closer to the steering wheel, it might not work out as well.

The biggest issue regarding the Maverick for me is the tall door sill. With my long legs and big feet, I have to pull back my feet to clear the door, while raising them over the sill. Much easier to do on a flat floor out the door. Not a big deal if I can fully extend out the door. But if someone is parked too close, it can be quite a maneuver to have to tuck, raise and twist my big feet back out behind me in the reduced door opening. But doable. I will just park further out in most situations to prevent the problem.

oldfatguy

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997ranger 2006 fusion 2001 bmw330ci 2004.5w3500
The steering wheel functions just fine ergonomically, but I find it a bit chunkier than it needs to be. It definitely obscures some dash stuff. I have to move my head far to the left to be able to see the lighting controls for instance. I also wish that one of the 10 screen options would be a giant number in the middle with my current speed...
i dont know about the fx4 but on my xlt you can get a speed only on the center display
Sponsored