Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Welcome!
The Maverick is my first hybrid too.
Only thing I had to get used to was the dial-shifter.

What add-ons did you get (if any) ?
Hey AF, XLT LUX
moonroof
sliding rear window
Co-pilot 360
hitch w/receiver!

Super excited.

Mkjeld76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Avalon, Toyota Tacoma, Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Hybrid Lariat should be at dealer around the end of the month

OP
OP
Jeremyx95

Jeremyx95

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not sure what to say I have a 22 and a 23 Hybrid . Did not drive either one hard for the first 700 miles Changed my oil on the 22 at a little over 1000 miles to get any metal shavings out and put a bigger oil filter and better oil . Then drove it to las vegas in Aug of last year 115 degrees in AZ. Over the Rockies and about 90 to 95 MPH in Utah speed limit 85 🤔🚔 l drive it , it has done me no wrong👍. Heat ,rain ,wind snow ,ice ,mountain it my blow up tomorrow ⁉ I change my oil and filter every 5000miles 100 %. Syn. New air filter at 10,000 miles keep my tires at 32 PSI and drive it It's a little over a year old . 14,000 miles . Do not know if this will help but this is what I have done with all my New Cars and Trucks since my first New Truck a 1975. Chevy short bed 4X4 . I drive them don't baby them and maintain them. 👻🙂. Just the way I do it . 🤔🚔🇺🇸☠ How you drive your Maverick it's up to you. It's a fantastic truck and I wish you many Happy and Safe Mavericking Miles .

IMG_20230725_122015233.jpg

IMG_20230725_121824462.jpg

IMG_20230725_121946680.jpg

IMG_20230131_150932437_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230131_151159707_HDR.jpg
I love it! Thanks so much, i cant wait!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeremyx95

Jeremyx95

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Congratulations!

Your hybrid uses regenerative braking a lot, instead of the brake pads/rotors) for slowing down hills & in traffic. This will tremendously save brake pad wear & tear, so that you should get at least 100k miles before needing new brake pads/rotors. Probably much more than 100k. Some Ford Hybrid owners have reported going 200k miles before needing brakes/pads. Your gas engine runs a lot less, too, so oil & filter & air filter changes are not necessary nearly as often. The truck will tell you when to change oil, based on several factors, including how many total miles were electric - deducting those from total miles driven. If you don't drive much, change the oil once a year.

Enjoy.
Thanks so much. Appreciate it!

OP
OP
Jeremyx95

Jeremyx95

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Read your owner’s manual. At 552 pages it is long, but there will be many sections and many pages that you can skip. For instance (in your case), everything to do with EcoBoost. Or Lariat. Or option packages that you didn’t order. Read it at your leisure while you wait for your Maverick to arrive, and I guarantee you’ll know more about your Maverick than those who didn’t bother to read.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...Maverick_Owners_Manual_version_1_om_EN-US.pdf
Thank you SO much. Had no idea this existed& was going to read once my truck arrived, guess I start tonight!

OP
OP
Jeremyx95

Jeremyx95

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For maximum mpg, use the Coach as a guide; it will definitely help at first, especially with braking. Brake pedal feel is certainly different, and it can even vary from Maverick to Maverick. Once you get used to it (doesn't take long), note what your mpg is after each trip (the gauge cluster will tell you this each time you turn off the ignition), and compare it to how you drove it. Now you can start using your own judgement as to what achieves the best mpg, as the Coach is not infallible. It seems to me the ECO setting certainly helps, but having to hit the "OK" button several times, then press the mode button 4 times to get there is definitely a pain. But, IMHO it's worth it, knowing my hybrid is getting just about double what the EPA City estimate is for the Maverick EcoBoost.

Depending on your trim level, you might be surprised what you're getting equipment-wise, compared to that Focus you're driving. The only extra-cost options on my XLT were the hitch and the paint. For me, finding the keypad entry, the tailgate that locks with the doors, the automatic low beams/ high beams/ wipers were all nice touches.
Yeah i cant wait. XLT W/Lux package!

OP
OP
Jeremyx95

Jeremyx95

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Coasting is the key..." So true. Coasting uses no gas, and no electric power from your battery - it's "free miles." And Slippery mode lets you coast a LOT easier (and farther) than the other modes. I've found that it's counter-productive to try to accelerate on electric only - too slow to keep up with traffic, and you'll use all the battery power overcoming the inertia of a standing start. Instead, I generally accelerate smoothly, using about 20% on the power-meter (a little higher if it's a steep uphill), get to 1-2 mph over the intended speed (think "speed limit"), then back off the throttle completely, and slowly re-engage throttle until electric power kicks in.

You'll learn to anticipate this, and by keeping the "EV Coach" on the dash, you can monitor the state of your HV battery (HVB) by the length of the blue rectangle. The blue bar is the amount of electric power you're calling for (via throttle). If you're slowing below the speed limit and your blue bar is the same length as the blue rectangle, the gasoline engine is about to re-engage. In general sub-50 mph driving, I find myself using gasoline power to accelerate to speed and climb hills (even just small inclines) and that brief usage will keep the HVB charged enough that I can use only electric power on the straight-and-level portions of the road, and "coast" (very mild regen) down any inclines. Doing this allows me to average 50-54 mpg on a 30-minute drive. (Shorter trips are more impacted by the initial startup, and the initial air conditioning load to bring temps down from 105º to my preferred 73º, so on a 5-minute drive, you'll get significantly less mpg than that.)

All this also assumes that you're anticipating stops, and coasting to a stop using as little brake force (either mechanical or regenerative) as possible. If you have Brake Coach enabled, learn the rate of deceleration needed to stay within the "green box" (regenerative braking) without having to use any "white bar" (mechanical brakes). You'll not only save money on gas, but your brake pads will last practically forever. (I had a 2012 Toyota Prius-C with 148,000 miles on it - and it still had the original brake pads, with maybe 25% life remaining. The Maverick should do just as well - if not better.)

But my best advice to a new-to-hybrids owner would be "just drive it like a regular car" until you're used to the size, handling, braking, etc. Get comfortable in the car before trying to maximize the mileage. Odds are that - unless you're trying to emulate Max Verstappen - you'll still match the EPA estimates for city and highway driving. (Max is the current Formula 1 World Champion, for those who didn't recognize the name. And he drives "rather aggressively" to put it mildly...)
Got it, thanks so much, will be weird using a coach to help me haha

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You mentioned driving a vehicle that braked automatically and asked if the Maverick had it. Only if you ordered the 360 Assist option. It is Adaptive Cruise Control that does thar

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jeremyx95

Jeremyx95

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You mentioned driving a vehicle that braked automatically and asked if the Maverick had it. Only if you ordered the 360 Assist option. It is Adaptive Cruise Control that does thar
Gotcha, thanks so much

Markii56

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the Avalon 12/22/23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a standard XLT hybrid (no 360 Assist) and it has automatic emergency braking. It kicked in once and scared the crap out of us!

OP
OP
Jeremyx95

Jeremyx95

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a standard XLT hybrid (no 360 Assist) and it has automatic emergency braking. It kicked in once and scared the crap out of us!
So it does have it then?

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So it does have it then?
Yes. Standard on all Mavericks, even a base XL with no options. It's part of the standard safety suite that includes auto high-beams, automatic emergency braking, and the rear view camera.

Ford Maverick Soon to be hybrid owner, any tips? 1692053076740

PNWMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But my best advice to a new-to-hybrids owner would be "just drive it like a regular car" until you're used to the size, handling, braking, etc. Get comfortable in the car before trying to maximize the mileage. Odds are that - unless you're trying to emulate Max Verstappen - you'll still match the EPA estimates for city and highway driving. (Max is the current Formula 1 World Champion, for those who didn't recognize the name. And he drives "rather aggressively" to put it mildly...)
This is a point that should be taken strongly.

Additionally:

Using Eco-mode does make a difference. Not just in your fuel economy.

Using the brake coach is a really great way to learn how the hybrid drives. It (quickly) teaches you how to coast and how to use the regenerative braking to control the truck.

Once you understand the hybrid and how it drives you can easily beat the EPA ratings. My highest is 109 MPG, when really, really, trying. I regularly break ~55 MPG just driving around town.
Sponsored