Sponsored

ScanGauge III for the Maverick Hybrid - Hints and Tips?

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Some discussions elsewhere have kindled my interest in obtaining a ScanGauge III for my Maverick Hybrid. I know I need to cable, the windshield mount, and the device itself. But I'm brand new to this area, and want to verify that we would use the ODBII version for the Maverick Hybrid. GPSMan (or other knowledgeable folks), can you confirm this?

In other threads, I've gotten the impression that this device is technically set up for the Escape Hybrid, and that it needs to be "tweaked" slightly for some slight differences in the Maverick Hybrid. Can someone explain the issue (if any) and describe what's required to work around it?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The "kit" comes with everything you need.

The newest model has a "scan" mode, kind of like a radio scanner to "find" all available channels.

When attached for the first time, it scans, then saves all Parameters it finds, state of charge being one.
I've yet to count every parameter found, but it's over 50.

If new parameters are found, developed, invented, whatever, there is a manual way to program it I have not yet explored out of lack of need.

Some I want, I believe exists, but was not found during the auto scan are:

Traction motor & Generator RPM
Traction motor & Generator Temperature

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The device basically sends out a question and the truck responds.

You need the "code" to ask the right question and the "address" of the correct module to send the question to.

The question and the reply is in hexadecimal, then the device does the "math" to convert Hex to degrees or horsepower or RPM.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It also reads DTC's diagnostic trouble codes, can clear or reset trouble codes, and can tell you if the vehicle is ready or not ready for emissions testing.

"Not Ready" means 100% you will fail an emissions test. Don't waste your time or money.

"Ready" means 99% sure you will pass the emissions test.

In Calif, there is no tailpipe test. Just the truck computer talks to the state computer, and there is a visual inspection for any illegal mods.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick ScanGauge III for the Maverick Hybrid - Hints and Tips? 40422D4B-F8E8-4DF9-9C98-E15E7FEA1153

For me, suction cup mount (included) works great on the flat part behind the mini-cubby. You can customize colors, brightness, and how many PID's are shown at once. Has three pages of "presets" so up to 27 presets. Is a touch screen like a phone and you can tap and swipe to make changes.

Can also set high/low alerts and alarms for any parameter.

You can get an audio alert for any water temperature you want; or any battery charge you want or any RPM you want.

It even "remembers" maximums speed, temperature, rpm; whatever you want.

You can see if your kid was abusing your truck, technically, if you can convince him to leave it plugged in. But you'll know IF it was unplugged.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JimParker256

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

THANK YOU for a swift and comprehensive response. I downloaded the user manual, and have been reading through it. If supports everything you said, so thanks again!

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There are 57 parameters you can monitor, some common to all cars, plus some Maverick specific ones found on auto scan.

Plus a host of trip computers that are calculated, not "monitored" equipment.

BlueRaven

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mav, 01 CRV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i have a scan gauge 2 in my eb mav. kind of pointless. i watch volts, boost, water temp, and throttle position. i want transmission temp but i dont have a computer to program it. if i hadnt had it in my old tow rig, i wouldnt even bother with buying one unless you are a gauge nerd. yes the 3 might be better but a bluetooth one is 5 times cheaper and does the same thing.

OP
OP
JimParker256

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

<<snip>>
....but a bluetooth one is 5 times cheaper and does the same thing.
....unless you want the gauges on all the time, and also want to use your phone for other things, like nav or (ahem) phone duty. Or have an iPhone, where the Bluetooth gauge apps seem to be far less useful than the Android apps available.

But I see your point: If I found having the SG2 in my Maverick was "kind of pointless" I wouldn't be enthusiastic about purchasing the SG3 at any price. In my case, I believe I'll get a lot of use out of it, and the educational value alone will make it worth the price.

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a scan gauge 2. I contacted the company and they sent me I list of address specific for the maverick so I could manually program the points I was interested in (battery state of charge, and current). I also use the tachometer, and the 4th slot I bounce around for coolant temp and instant fuel economy.
I had a 3 on order, but liked that I can keep the 2 on my steering column, and cancelled the order for the 3.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

But why have 4 on the screen when you can have 9? And three pages of 9!

😉

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick ScanGauge III for the Maverick Hybrid - Hints and Tips? 9600EB06-1781-4A92-9F0E-3760CA266C90

This is one I just recently started playing with. The tic mark at 9 o'clock moves around the dial based on your trip MPG and the dial changes color based on how you are doing. Only used it a couple of days. Haven't quite figured out how to use it to my advantage other than I have instant and trip MPG shown here, while not on the Maverick because I always have EV coach on the Maverick so that is a helpful, nice feature right there.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

THE KIT comes with two magnetic patches for mounting. A small magnetic patch comes from the suction cup manufacturer. A larger magnetic patch comes from the ScanGauge manufacturer.

DO AS DIRECTIONS SAY and use the larger magnetic patch. I tried the smaller patch first, then I cried because it fell off after 2 days. (Did no harm just a PITA to do it twice.)

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

FYI-

Nothing in hand yet, but I'm asking the manufacturer if they can update the ScanGaugeIII Firmware (it's Wifi equipped) to include more Maverick specific functions. Their reply was "probably yes".

So hopefully I can "Beta Test" then post when the update is available on this forum.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Minor firmware update coming soon.

Substantial firmware update coming in a few weeks as more and more new vehicles, including the Maverick are hitting the streets.

OBDII has industry "standards" that all manufacturers that sell (to North America at least) must follow.

But there are features "above and beyond" in addition to the standard ones that are vehicle specific that take time to add to the software of the "one size fits all" ScanGauges.
Sponsored