First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
North Texas has been iced over the past couple days. To all the northerners who make fun of us Texans and our shutdowns during winter: 1. We don't normally get snow, we get ice. Snow is easy/fun to drive on. Ice is terrifying. 2. We don't have the infrastructure to help ice days. No plows, no sand trucks, no winter tires.

That said, I did some driving in the iced over roads and I think the FWD Maverick slippery mode is very good. I don't have much experience with various vehicles, so, take it with a grain of salt.

The Maverick engages traction control in a way that I didn't even notice until I watched the display flashing the light. Super smooth acceleration.

That said, the ABS is strange. No pedal feel that I noticed, but crazy clicking when it engages. That said, it's predictable from what I expected a FWD vehicle. Understeer when expected, ABS behaved in a predictable way. โœ”

That said, the one thing I wasn't able to do is back up my driveway. Drove up forward and that's fine for today. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
North Texas has been iced over the past couple days. To all the northerners who make fun of us Texans and our shutdowns during winter: 1. We don't normally get snow, we get ice. Snow is easy/fun to drive on. Ice is terrifying. 2. We don't have the infrastructure to help ice days. No plows, no sand trucks, no winter tires.

That said, I did some driving in y the iced over roads and I think the FWD Maverick slippery mode is very good. I don't have much experience with various vehicles, so, take it with a grain of salt.

The Maverick engages traction control in a way that I didn't even notice until I watched the display flashing the light. Super smooth acceleration.

That said, the ABS is strange. No pedal feel that I noticed, but crazy clicking when it engages. That said, it's predictable from what I expected a FWD vehicle. Understeer when expected, ABS behaved in a predictable way. โœ”

That said, the one thing I wasn't able to do is back up my driveway. Drove up forward and that's fine for today. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
This is good information for any member who has a FWD or is having second thoughts about getting the FWD if they live where ice or snow is an issue.
Good post. Thanks for sharing.

Hybrid Nut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That said, I did some driving in y the iced over roads and I think the FWD Maverick slippery mode is very good. I don't have much experience with various vehicles, so, take it with a grain of salt.

Front wheel drives are excellant on ice. Assuming you have good all season tires. Been driving FWD cars for years . But i keep my back up 4 wheel drive pickup for when the snow is real deep. But that rarely happens as they clean the interstate off before i leave for work Anyway hope your ice down there melts soon. Welcome to Maverick land..

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
Undecided

Was wondering how our friends in Texas have been dealing with the winter weather lately. Glad to hear slippery mode checks out. If you're looking for a hack to help you with traction while backing out of your driveway, try cat litter!

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the post. Had a frosted VB but just South of the icy mayhem, Only one overpass closed for ice nearby.

Sponsored

MvrkECWI

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Crosstrek
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not a fan of ice, but in WI snow isn't easy or fun to drive in.

Retired

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid, 2012 focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't make fun of Texans because of the shutdowns. It's for the best. I do make fun of all the Southern drivers that go out in terrible weather and end up in a 25, 30, 50, 100 car pileup on the Interstate.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I use slippery mode every day in sunny Calif. Even on rainy days!

It's the best mode (city) for highest MPG.
Even better than Eco because acceleration and deceleration from regen are even more gentle.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was wondering how our friends in Texas have been dealing with the winter weather lately. Glad to hear slippery mode checks out. If you're looking for a hack to help you with traction while backing out of your driveway, try cat litter!
Unused, hopefully!

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the replies everyone. I know not everyone makes fun of us sutherners, for winter shutdowns, but I've heard it enough to be sensitive to it. I'm sorry if I'm lumping you in with a group that you don't belong. That said, I don't think many understand, hence the explanation.

Also, for further clarification, when I say "as expected" I'm coming from 10 years in a 2012 Ford focus hatchback, non turbo, 5 speed. So, I'm used to understeer and the ABS. Although, the focus had pedal feel with abs, where my hybrid Maverick didn't; just a clickey racket.

Sponsored

MM Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Luxury w/CP360 + CP360A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Look at @Dad bringing the dad jokes!!! ๐Ÿคฃ

Last edited:

KSC Grey Ghost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

That said, I did some driving in the iced over roads and I think the FWD Maverick slippery mode is very good. I don't have much experience with various vehicles, so, take it with a grain of salt.

We too in Tn. Are prone to ice storms I've lost count but we have either had three or four this year alone the one was minus 22 windshield and minus 8 temperature in all of these ice storms unfortunately I've had to go out ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿ‘Ž. I live out in the middle of nowhere which sometimes is great and sometimes not. The roads are not the best but every time I have gone out in the storms my Maverick has did nothing I wanted it to do ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚โ˜ƒ. It is a hybrid FWD with Wild Peaks on it Good Tires .๐Ÿ‘. So in conclusion I agree with you 100% the Maverick with FWD in slippery mode will take you where you want to go . If not but a Snow Cat LOL โ˜ƒ๐Ÿฅถโ„๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ‘
Ford Maverick Slippery mode on ice. IMG_20230131_151020843_HDR
Ford Maverick Slippery mode on ice. IMG_20230131_151159707_HDR
Ford Maverick Slippery mode on ice. IMG_20230131_151224628_HDR

Ford Maverick Maniac

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 XLTs: hybrid alto blue & turbo AWD carb gray.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is good information for any member who has a FWD or is having second thoughts about getting the FWD if they live where ice or snow is an issue.
Good post. Thanks for sharing.
Tom, I own both versions. You are right, FWD is fine in most of the country. But in the mountains or on a wet boat ramp, the front wheels will have a hard time pulling 3500 lbs up a slippery hill without spinning out. This video shows me on the steepest part of an incline in Park City from a full stop in my turbo AWD.

Oh and with FWD, you have to stop at chain control but the AWD and 4X4 vehicles are let through. I hope this helps.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
sure glad we don't get ice here up north :ROFLMAO:

OP