Sponsored

Sell existing vehicle now before delivery?

BARTMAVERICK

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I sold my '19 Corvette ( that I paid cash for) back in April for $8,000. more than I paid for it in Dec. 2019, and I also have a '19 Honda Civic that the lease will end in Feb. of '22. I was thinking of buying out the lease and then trade the Civic on the Maverick when the Mav arrives to lower the state sales tax I will pay on the purchase of the Maverick. $34,000. x 6% tax = $2,040. tax. I can purchase the Civic for $12,475.(plus 6% tax) at lease end in Feb or, if the Maverick arrives before then, I can purchase based on amount that will be pro rated at the time of purchase. (As of today the purchase price is $13,284. + tax). So what would the smart move be? Turn in the Civic or buy it and trade.
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Three months ago anticipating the Maverick, I checked Kelley Blue Book and the value of my 2017 Subaru Impreza was $13,200; sold it to the Ford dealer in June for $17,500. They needed used cars, it went on their lot for $19,976.

OP
OP
TerryE

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Three months ago anticipating the Maverick, I checked Kelley Blue Book and the value of my 2017 Subaru Impreza was $13,200; sold it to the Ford dealer in June for $17,500. They needed used cars, it went on their lot for $19,976.
That's a WOW. Seriously, a 2017 Subaru for $20k??

OP
OP
TerryE

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I sold my '19 Corvette ( that I paid cash for) back in April for $8,000. more than I paid for it in Dec. 2019, and I also have a '19 Honda Civic that the lease will end in Feb. of '22. I was thinking of buying out the lease and then trade the Civic on the Maverick when the Mav arrives to lower the state sales tax I will pay on the purchase of the Maverick. $34,000. x 6% tax = $2,040. tax. I can purchase the Civic for $12,475.(plus 6% tax) at lease end in Feb or, if the Maverick arrives before then, I can purchase based on amount that will be pro rated at the time of purchase. (As of today the purchase price is $13,284. + tax). So what would the smart move be? Turn in the Civic or buy it and trade.
For me, (depending if you don't have the mileage penalty as well), I would just turn in and pay the extra cash tax.

OP
OP
TerryE

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I sold my Ram to the dealership when I placed my order for the Maverick last month. They offered $32k for the truck that I bought last year during the crash for $25k. That gives me a bit over $7k to put down on the Maverick. My neighbor has been begging for someone to drive his old beater Mazda so it doesn't rot away. Win-win and everyone is happy.
Awesome! You rocked that deal!

Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah I think the peak is behind us, unfortunately. My 2018 Honda Accord has dropped $2,500 in Carmax, Carvana, Vroom quote value in the last 2.5 weeks.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah I think the peak is behind us, unfortunately. My 2018 Honda Accord has dropped $2,500 in Carmax, Carvana, Vroom quote value in the last 2.5 weeks.
That doesn't necessarily mean it won't go up again either - if the shortage is long enough, the initial flood of people selling at high $ will be burned through inventory in quick order - at that point there could still be a shortage, which would mean used prices tick up, and a second wave would have a much smaller market to tap (i.e. those who saw that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to sell high have already done so). That could possibly lead to another run up...just me thinking out loud :)

Reactions: JJC

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wanted to start this thread to see how many have decided to take advantage of the current trend of pricing to sell your existing vehicle.

We all know the used car market now is insane.

I am more fortunate than others as I have another couple of vehicles, (wife's car and motorcycle), to use until the Mav arrives in the fall.
I have been monitoring (KBB) reference pricing for months.
In Feb, my current vehicle (2011 Cadillac SRX, 1 owner, 118K miles good condition) was valued for a Private seller at $7150.
In June, it jumped to $9175!
Told my wife that I need to sell early and posted my car on the neighborhood FB site and sold it in 4 hours for $9k even on July 3rd.
Checked today, same KBB price now is $8466. Seems like the peak has been set.
I am glad I did it and will 'bite the bullet' of the hassle of not having a daily driver for a few months.

As a note: My CarFax report would have shown 3 accidents. Even though they were relatively minor repairs, the report says Collision so I would not have received the $9k from a Dealer or from any online (Vroom) type.
I sold my 2017 AWD V6 Equinox the day before I ordered my Maverick to a Chevy dealer for stupid money. I have a Mazda 3 to drive until my Maverick comes in. I really didnt want to sell that Equinox because of how nice it was with low miles, but Ive been wanting a truck like the Maverick for a long time and the money they paid me for my equinox was great.

Last edited:

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve got 2 cars also and wondering about sell one of them too.. Subaru Outback and a all original 1987;Toyota 4x4 , I’ll probably get a good price for the Toyota

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I have an old Volvo 940 wagon that has been remarkably maintained over the past 30 years, and I've already got a co-worker who wants to buy it. Was gonna start offers at $3,500 and settle for $3000, and he's a friend so he gets it for $2800 which, conveniently, is the 10% down payment I'll use on my Maverick. I only paid $2,000 for it so anything above that is a victory.

My dealer pegged my delivery as "November ish...possibly December" so I can't sell it now because...well I need it. But even if the friend drops out I have zero concern with selling it.

Sponsored

Lugnut

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Its seems a lot of us have realized the incentive to trade or sell a vehicle now, to take advantage of the current market values. Kudos to all of you! I thought I was the only one! Traded my truck in last week to the dealer I ordered from. They gave me $1500 less than I paid new 3+ years ago!

OP
OP
TerryE

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Its seems a lot of us have realized the incentive to trade or sell a vehicle now, to take advantage of the current market values. Kudos to all of you! I thought I was the only one! Traded my truck in last week to the dealer I ordered from. They gave me $1500 less than I paid new 3+ years ago!
what did you buy?

Lugnut

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
what did you buy?
Ordered XLT with lux package. They paid off lien and put balance on account. I was the first to place a Maverick order from them. Hoping to be the first to take delivery.

VetteNZMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm having a hard time letting go..... HELP!!!
So I have a daily driver 2005 Camry LE with 335K on the clock, yes 335K - still decent in all regards and I think it could make it to 400K, just not sure I can convince someone to give me a few thousand for it with the miles - maybe only in this sellers market.
Then there is the other problem, a 1987 Ranger with 150k miles but in very good shape AND I'm having a very hard time letting go of the 6' bed to haul a load of mulch or 10' boards.

Have 3 other cars also that I can drive but not long term for my 50 mile commute.
I want to buy a very low option XL. Thoughts?