Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love the keypad feature. Any issue I’m missing by simply leaving the key in a Farady pouch in the truck permanently and just using keypad for entry
Sponsored

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had similar thoughts, but the Faraday pouches apparently wear out over time.

I currently leave mine in my XL when at the gym, and unlock with Siri.

Syntax Error

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Your insurance company will definitely love to skip out of paying you if they find out you deliberately left your keys in your car for pure convenience's sake to use the keypad instead. Your car is one window smash away from being easily carjacked.

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Despite having the keypad and fordpass app to unlock doors, I never trust leaving my keys in the vehicle. Just not worth the risk.

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have left keys in my Escape when kayaking. I have tested it and unless you enter the code correctly to open the door or have the other key come into range to unlock the door, the car will simply ignore the key already in it.

This is of course dealing with vehicles with push-button start.

Topfun

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
its one broken window away from being stolen. our local police here are constantly harping on people to stop leaving their keys in the car. its the major reason car thefts are up so much. modern cars should be worlds harder to steal than a 20 year old beater but you can throw all of that out window when you give the thief your keys.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
Your insurance company will definitely love to skip out of paying you if they find out you deliberately left your keys in your car for pure convenience's sake to use the keypad instead. Your car is one window smash away from being easily carjacked.
This is incorrect. As long as you have the right coverage your insurance provider will cover the cost of theft even if the the key is left inside the vehicle.

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes push button start. The key being in truck doesn’t help the crook if it’s in an inconspicuous spot and in a Faraday pouch.

Not like the crook is going to go searching for a hidden key in the truck. He would already have alternative methods of stealing the truck once inside unless he’s stealing valuables which would not be with the key anyway.

Syntax Error

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Or you can keep the key on your person like the rest of us do like with our phones and wallet and avoid the risk altogether.

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is incorrect. As long as you have the right coverage your insurance provider will cover the cost of theft even if the the key is left inside the vehicle.
Yeah but as a practice it's still dumb AF.

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I found this that supports your post.
If you have comprehensive coverage on the vehicle, then you're generally covered if it's stolen — even if you left the keys in the car. Comprehensive can also cover the theft of your vehicle if you left it running while parked.
https://www.progressive.com/answers/car-theft-with-keys-in-car/

Timaysz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford explorer sport trac
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Despite having the keypad and fordpass app to unlock doors, I never trust leaving my keys in the vehicle. Just not worth the risk.
Use to have a 2014 F350 Lariat.. I had one as a company truck. Also was my personal usage vehicle outside of work ( had 2 realy nice bosses/owners of the company they even paid for all my personal fuel outside of work) the 2 owners and I all had f350 Lariats and all 3 of usel would lock the keys in the trucks pritty much everywhere, never had a problem... I would even lock them in the truck when I would take a plane.. Milwaukee Airport, Chicago o'hare Airport.. I never had to worry about losing my keys on a trip... Just get back punch in the truck code and leave
Sponsored