Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Haven’t seen this addressed yet. So maybe I’ve got a problem.Let me lay it on you…….
Picked up my IS Lariat hybrid today. More than I’d hoped for. Drove to, among other things, a friend’s house to show off. He and his Mrs came out, saw, talked Maverick, and I was off. Backing out of the driveway, windows closed, electric mode, nice and quiet. He waved me to stop. I rolled down the window and he asked me about the reverse warning noise. Huh! What you talking about? Leave the window open and put it in reverse. Got a noise, not a beep, regular as a backup warning noise on a big delivery truck. But it came from under the hood, not in the back. Afraid of a transmission (I know,I know, no transmission!) problem, only apparent in reverse.
Anyone out there ever hear anything like this?
Sponsored

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And with prior experience with hybrids on my street. Thank god it's required. Have gotten hit by a prius reversing up a one way street and it was generating almost 0 noise.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Normal behavior, and an important safety feature. Helps reduce the odds of running over someone who otherwise wouldn't hear the truck because it is so quiet in reverse.

Yes, in the perfect work everyone would be paying attention, and this wouldn't be necessary. Alas, we don't live in the perfect word, and a little inattention shouldn't be punished with death.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not a backup beep like a large truck. It's just noise to replace the engine noise when running on electricity only. When a gas-burning vehicle is moving near you, you can hear the engine from a distance and know there's a car moving nearby. Running on electricity, a vehicle can sneak up on you without a sound.

For the safety of everyone around you, your hybrid vehicle emits noise when moving at low speed on electricity only. Whether you're in drive or reverse.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Normal behavior, and an important safety feature. Helps reduce the odds of running over someone who otherwise wouldn't hear the truck because it is so quiet in reverse.

Yes, in the perfect work everyone would be paying attention, and this wouldn't be necessary. Alas, we don't live in the perfect word, and a little inattention shouldn't be punished with death.
Or, like, to warn actual blind people -- yeah.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or, like, to warn actual blind people -- yeah.
I don't understand why everyone thinks that being able to hear a vehicle moving nearby is only beneficial to those who cannot see. Everyone relies on their hearing to identify objects moving around them.

Sponsored

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't understand why everyone thinks that being able to hear a vehicle moving nearby is only beneficial to those who cannot see. Everyone relies on their hearing to identify objects moving around them.
It was moreso a response to the "paying attention" comment.

Because it doesn't matter how hard someone pays attention if the thing you're trying to avoid doesn't register on the senses you have.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It was moreso a response to the "paying attention" comment.

Because it doesn't matter how hard someone pays attention if the thing you're trying to avoid doesn't register on the senses you have.
All I'm saying is it doesn't matter if you're blind or not. Hearing is a useful sense. Being able to hear a vehicle moving nearby is helpful when, say, walking around a parking lot. Doesn't matter how well you can see when a vehicle sneaks up behind you, for instance. So of course, it's helpful for blind people to hear a car approach, but I can see just fine and it still helps to hear a car coming.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

All I'm saying is it doesn't matter if you're blind or not. Hearing is a useful sense. Being able to hear a vehicle moving nearby is helpful when, say, walking around a parking lot. Doesn't matter how well you can see when a vehicle sneaks up behind you, for instance. So of course, it's helpful for blind people to hear a car approach, but I can see just fine and it still helps to hear a car coming.
I feel like you are under the impression that I was disagreeing with that point, instead of just trying to add an additional one.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel like you are under the impression that I was disagreeing with that point, instead of just trying to add an additional one.
Didn't mean to single you out per se or imply you thought it was only beneficial to deaf people. Just going on a tangent since you were the last one I saw mention it, and others have basically said that's the only reason you'd want the noise generator. We do seem to be in agreement here. :)

OP
OP
Larrythelunatic

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

But……..
The “noise”, regular as it was, could be heard quite easily out in front, WHILE IN REVERSE.
I don’t believe that it would be as easily heard behind, even as close as 15-20’.
Tomorrow, weather permitting, I’ll investigate further.
Stay tuned……
Sponsored