Reverse warning sound issue?

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1956 THunderbird , 2016 Acura MDX (Wifes car)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Haven’t seen this addressed yet. So maybe I’ve got a problem.Let me lay it on you…….
Picked up my IS Lariat hybrid today. More than I’d hoped for. Drove to, among other things, a friend’s house to show off. He and his Mrs came out, saw, talked Maverick, and I was off. Backing out of the driveway, windows closed, electric mode, nice and quiet. He waved me to stop. I rolled down the window and he asked me about the reverse warning noise. Huh! What you talking about? Leave the window open and put it in reverse. Got a noise, not a beep, regular as a backup warning noise on a big delivery truck. But it came from under the hood, not in the back. Afraid of a transmission (I know,I know, no transmission!) problem, only apparent in reverse.
Anyone out there ever hear anything like this?
It's there to warn people that you're backing up. Remember hybrid truck backs up without the engine starting (No sounds to warn people)

Sembazuru

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's there to warn people that you're backing up. Remember hybrid truck backs up without the engine starting (No sounds to warn people)
Personally, I like the gentle chiming sound. Unfortunately, the sound seems to be loudest from the front, the opposite end for safety when backing up.

Makes me wonder about the viability of an add-on product that pipes or duplicates the sound of the under the hood speaker to the back. A high impedance input (to not steal too much sound from the front speaker) small amplifier for a speaker that mounts next to the spare tire. (Or next to the tyre for Mavs sold in the UK. :ROFLMAO:) Splice it in parallel to the existing speaker (I'm not exactly sure where it is) and Bob's your uncle.

rivermaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Fusion (UK), MEV Sonic7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Today I noticed for the first time that the backup sound comes from the front. I found that interesting.

I consider the forward-rolling sound kind of like a growl. At first I thought it was the sound of the electric drive, but recently realized the sound was "piped in" for pedestrian safety.
The 'sounder' is behind the front grill, I imagine the they made it louder in reverse instead of adding another sounder at the rear.
It's the law:
Manufacturers must install an AVAS ( Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System) in four-wheeled electric and hybrid electric vehicles that are approved from July 1, 2019, and to all new quiet electric and hybrid vehicles registered from July 2021. The vehicle must make a continuous noise level of at least 56 dBA (within 2 meters) if the car is going 20 km/h (12 mph) or slower, and a maximum of 75 dBA.
Credit: Wikipedia

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's not a backup beep like a large truck. It's just noise to replace the engine noise when running on electricity only. When a gas-burning vehicle is moving near you, you can hear the engine from a distance and know there's a car moving nearby. Running on electricity, a vehicle can sneak up on you without a sound.

For the safety of everyone around you, your hybrid vehicle emits noise when moving at low speed on electricity only. Whether you're in drive or reverse.
My 23 is more like a truck beeper. Sounds somewhat like the tones at the start of a video game car race.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is how mine sounds.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Drove me nuts when we brought the truck home, now I'm kinda used to it. If the stereo is down it's a nice reassurance I'm in reverse before letting off the brake.

I considered wiring a switch to turn it off but that would also kill the forward sound. So I thought about a relay hooked to the switch which would always reset to default "on" but that's just too much work...

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is how mine sounds.
That’s exactly how mine sounds minus the dog yelping sound 🤪

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Drove me nuts when we brought the truck home, now I'm kinda used to it. If the stereo is down it's a nice reassurance I'm in reverse before letting off the brake.

I considered wiring a switch to turn it off but that would also kill the forward sound. So I thought about a relay hooked to the switch which would always reset to default "on" but that's just too much work...
You should hear my new Toyota Corolla Cross sound. You would swear the engine is about to blow up. Freaked me out when we first backed it out of the garage!
Sponsored