First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On my Edge you shift down to S mode, then paddle shifters.

The Santa Cruz (and Tacoma for that matter) you push the lever to the left in drive, then can push forward or backward to change gears. Very useful on long downhills.
chiming in here... That feature is AWESOME -ever since I had it in my 2005 BMW X3 - I seek out the Shiftronic (one name for it)! In the X3 I traded it in with over 125k miles and NEVER ever changed the brakes!! That is UNHEARD of in BMW's due to the softer braking materials they utilize - so I was told by one of the BMW reps... I downshifted all of the time, at traffic stops and in stop and go traffic flow... that in turn saved my brakes!

I do the same thing with the Santa Cruz limited, but that transmission does not downshift as responsively... still using the engine / down shift gears slows the vehicle a bit without tapping the brakes until I absolutely need to engage,
Sponsored

OP
OP
gte105u

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
chiming in here... That feature is AWESOME -ever since I had it in my 2005 BMW X3 - I seek out the Shiftronic (one name for it)! In the X3 I traded it in with over 125k miles and NEVER ever changed the brakes!! That is UNHEARD of in BMW's due to the softer braking materials they utilize - so I was told by one of the BMW reps... I downshifted all of the time, at traffic stops and in stop and go traffic flow... that in turn saved my brakes!

I do the same thing with the Santa Cruz limited, but that transmission does not downshift as responsively... still using the engine / down shift gears slows the vehicle a bit without tapping the brakes until I absolutely need to engage,
Interesting on the brakes. Another thing that helps per a repair shop is using your parking brake. I just had to change the brakes on my Edge at 125k miles for the first time. I finally told the shop I wanted it done, they said it could probably go a little longer. I don't do a lot of downshifting, but I religiously use the parking brake.

Not sure why parking brake would save brakes, seems more a benefit to transmission. But it's what the brake shop told me and qualitatively off one sample set seems to hold water.

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting on the brakes. Another thing that helps per a repair shop is using your parking brake. I just had to change the brakes on my Edge at 125k miles for the first time. I finally told the shop I wanted it done, they said it could probably go a little longer. I don't do a lot of downshifting, but I religiously use the parking brake.

Not sure why parking brake would save brakes, seems more a benefit to transmission. But it's what the brake shop told me and qualitatively off one sample set seems to hold water.
Saves the front brakes. The fronts usually wear out quicker, probably due to more weight over the front axles. Probably not possible in a Mav due to the electric parking brake eliminating the modulating a driver would do to slow a vehicle down. There's probably a debate somewhere about using brakes vs transmissions to slow down & stop when it comes to repair costs...

Alonso

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I almost bought a Santa Fe they do look sharp especially lifted, I ordered a hybrid maverick the mpg and price difference sold me, since I already have a 2007 tundra my main reason for getting a new vehicle was to get good mpg’s the maverick just can’t be beat for what it offers, I do wish it had awd but oh well I’ll take my tundra off-roading when I get the urge lol

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just dropped it off at the rental car. The attendant asked how I liked it. I told him it drove nice, ultimately liked more than Ridgeline. He looked at it and shook his head and said "it just looks funky"... "I know"

Told him I was looking at Mavericks, but they are hard to find I'm sure they don't have them. He said they have some he's actually parked them. Said he really likes them they are AWD versions. Here's to hoping in an upcoming trip I'm able to snag one to rent...
When you get the Maverick definitely post a comparison

Sponsored

Rnmedic45

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 65 Galaxy ,2020 Spyder
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thought I would chime in since I own and drive the Santa Cruz Limited.
Santa Cruz "Looks" never needed to grow on me, I liked it from the start - I am also a fan of the Maverick's Truck style. Both are great!
The Tonneau cover is NOT difficult to utilize - I am guessing that the Rental has been abused. I will admit, it is not the best mechanism for opening, "it POPS" a bit once released and if you are not holding onto the strap, the quick release is a surprise and it rolls up into a thud.
As for the hidden storage - I have no issues - no way any product is going to meet all your needs - this understorage is excellent compared to NONE AT ALL!
The entertainment system is really nice, mine is a Bose system, sounds great; intuitive, yet challenging at first to "get used to" how to enact actions. I would say this is nearly as good as the sound system I had in my 2005 BMW X3. However the Subwoofer and bass response in the BMW was better. Wirless - eh, to me that is totally a non-issue. I plug mine in for Apple Play and use Wayze for map directions - works really well! Also it is charging while in use - I find that to be a HUGE advantage.
The Turbo is really nice - very responsive, no "turbo lag" issues - and very quick! The ride is excellent - I like this vehicle a lot.
I agree about the Tach and Speedometer - that took me some "getting used to it"...
I absolutely love the turn signal activated side cameras - huge benefit + the 360 graphic interpretation camera hover view - AWESOME. The vehicle has cameras everywhere!
The roof rails etc... non-issue for me, but I do understand their utility for those that need it. The limited does not have the rails, but such are available in aftermarket options to purchase.
Not sure why that version you drove was LOUD? Mine is extremely quiet - another LOVE factor!
The only item that I do not think is top notch the brakes - even Consumer Reports indicates the braking as a weak point.

AS I have commented prior in other postings, I tend to believe I will keep the Santa Cruz after I compare it to the FE Rapid Red loaded 4k AWD that will be delivered within the next 2 months. One of them is going to get sold...
I FINALLY received my EB Lariat with co-pilot 360 minus the + (Thanks to Ford, it was ordered) in Feb. Had no complaints. I had wind noise but that could have been the deflectors. I watched a comparison video on here recently that got me thinking. He said Mav's were little Truck's and Ford stayed true to the Truck buyer. Santa Cruz just put a bed on a crossover. As I kept thinking I thought but that's what I wanted lux,ride and a bed. Yesterday the Cyber Mav stayed and the Santa Cruz Limited came home. There was no comparison once I drove it. For WHAT I NEED.

OP
OP
gte105u

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When you get the Maverick definitely post a comparison
I've had my Maverick for about 4 months now. Interior refinement of the Santa Cruz is better. But the controls, menus, and dials more intuitive on Maverick. I put a rack and cover on Maverick, and feel it is a good fit for a smaller truck. I keep my fishing gear in the back, and it doesn't feel out of place rigging a rod up on the tailgate. I don't think I would ever get there with the Santa Cruz. I am very happy I bought what I did. Won't say I don't have things here and there I wish were better (power passenger seat, sign recognition, homelink and dimming mirror, ventilated seats). But ultimately what I miss is much smaller and less important than the things I love.
Sponsored