Sponsored

Removing (attempt) the plastic rocker panels covers (skirts)... with pics .. REVISED

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wanted to remove my plastic rocker panel covers so I can undercoat the rocker panels which is a prime source for rust on most vehicles exposed to salt. The clips are not the ones I am familiar with from previous work. I didn't want to break them. As a member stated below, you have to push them up n the middle with a screwdriver and then pull them down. I used a forked body clip removal tool to pull them down. There were a couple normal plug style clips as you can see in the first pic that just pulled out with the forked removal tool.

I found that the clips will break, no matter how careful you are. No big deal. Loosening it did make the plastic trim panel loose enough that you can pull it away from the body far enough while spraying that there is no need to remove it completely. There are still several plastic parts of that rocker (skirt) that clip directly into the metal rocker underneath as I can see them when I pull the covers out to look. There is a damn good chance they will break especially since its 35 degrees in my garage now working with brittle plastic. I also don't know how much or how long it would take to get replacements from Ford since these trucks just came out. I will stuff some rags behind the cover to push it out slightly and give me about 2 inches of play to spray behind there without removing and possibly breaking the plastic panel.

I have attached some pics so you can see what I'm talking about. I'm not a YouTube blogger taking videos but thought I would share this for any of you planning to undercoat your vehicle.

On a side not a TON of leaves and debris were already behind these moldings. I have parked the truck in my garage since I got it. All of this crap must have gotten into there before I took delivery. This may be a problem for many of you that get a lot of tree litter or park your truck outside.

Ford Maverick Removing (attempt) the plastic rocker panels covers (skirts)... with pics .. REVISED clips

Ford Maverick Removing (attempt) the plastic rocker panels covers (skirts)... with pics .. REVISED clips2

Ford Maverick Removing (attempt) the plastic rocker panels covers (skirts)... with pics .. REVISED clips3

Ford Maverick Removing (attempt) the plastic rocker panels covers (skirts)... with pics .. REVISED clips 4

Ford Maverick Removing (attempt) the plastic rocker panels covers (skirts)... with pics .. REVISED clips 5
Sponsored

Last edited:

felsf50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pop up the center and pull out.

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ah, the infamous Ford ruster, er, rocker panels. Filing this idea away for when I get the truck, will save me that Bondo heartache years from now.

camarox

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro, Spitfire, Camaro, Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hopped under mine that just arrived and am now trying to figure out how to remove the 100+ of these for spraying in the fall..

camarox

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro, Spitfire, Camaro, Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone ever get it fully removed?

Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am installing rokblokz and also having an issue with these. I noticed there was a TON of debris wedged inside of them. No idea how it could have ever gotten in there. It's like pine needles and small twigs. Bought used with 11k on it and even still, how tf does that happen? It's like someone stuff it down in there. Even with all the off roading I've done in my life I've never seen so much debris wedged into such an odd spot. First thing that came to mind was critters, but no sign of it. The foam between the panels is in tact and it's just leaves and such. Almost like the previous owner parked on top of a bush.

This is why I'm servicing EVERYTHING. Can never be too sure with even a low mileage used vehicle.

Regardless, these clips are stupid. Why FORD? Why?

TCPTX65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Buick Enclave
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I made a video of how to remove the rocker panel clips here
I was using a small screwdriver to release the upper clips and then pulling down and sliding off. Never thought of twisting them. Thank you for making me smarter.

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ah, the infamous Ford ruster, er, rocker panels. Filing this idea away for when I get the truck, will save me that Bondo heartache years from now.
So glad I've never had this issue down here in Texas. All I have to worry about are the plastic rocker panels melting ;)

Sponsored

BeachBum

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Area 51 AWD Maverick XLT w/ Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I made a video of how to remove the rocker panel clips here
Just want to thank you for this video. I got a set of RokBlokz for Christmas and finally got around to installing them. I was installing the last mudflap and one of their plastic clips slipped from my fingers and disappeared into the void. After watching your video, I was able to remove the rocker panel cover clips and retrieve the RokBlokz clip.

Thanks again @unclerunkle!!

unclerunkle

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just want to thank you for this video. I got a set of RokBlokz for Christmas and finally got around to installing them. I was installing the last mudflap and one of their plastic clips slipped from my fingers and disappeared into the void. After watching your video, I was able to remove the rocker panel cover clips and retrieve the RokBlokz clip.

Thanks again @unclerunkle!!
Glad I was able to help!
Sponsored