Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Taurus Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I talked to a friend about painting the plastic bumpers and panels to match the velocity blue body. He said it was a bad idea because some plastics weren't made to hold paint and it wouldn't last long.

He said even on the right plastics a non oem job may not last.

What's the deal since most cars have plastic bumpers anyway?

Is vinyl wrap a better choice?
Sponsored

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your friend is correct. These bumpers are not made for paint to adhere even with a primer.

Vinyl wrap would be a better way to go, just need to see if you can match color exactly, or use a contrasting color scheme.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yeah plastic bumpers suck. I personally blame my own project car the AMC Eagle. All Eagles had really nice aluminum bumpers, however the bumper ends, fender flares, rocker panel trim were all a crappy plastic. Even worse Sport models were all black and had a quarter window panel that just held dirt against the body. Maybe they made it look tuff but after 30-40 years they are brittle and faded. I think they were the first to do this, now all cars have this junk on em.
Ford Maverick Color match bumpers and rocker panels SMm2fTQHaEG?w=315&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@fordvideoguy , Is it true the 2023 maverick will have an appearance package that color matches door handles, skullcaps and bumpers?

Is it true the Maverick will have it's own version of the A-B-A exterior paint pattern like the 2023 F-150 Heritage Edition?

Is it true the 202 Bronco Raptor is already sold out?

Is it true Ford ended the lease buyout on all it's EV's?

fordvideoguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.long-mcarthur.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Ford Bronco
Engine
Undecided
@fordvideoguy , Is it true the 2023 maverick will have an appearance package that color matches door handles, skullcaps and bumpers?

Is it true the Maverick will have it's own version of the A-B-A exterior paint pattern like the 2023 F-150 Heritage Edition?

Is it true the 202 Bronco Raptor is already sold out?

Is it true Ford ended the lease buyout on all it's EV's?
Don't know yet

Don't think so

Yes, they went to first Bronco customers that reserved back in 2020 that hadn't been scheduled yet.

EVs usually don't have lease, from what I heard it's because leased vehicles don't qualify for the tax credit.

Sponsored

SiGmA_X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
EVs usually don't have lease, from what I heard it's because leased vehicles don't qualify for the tax credit.
In the instance of a lease, the federal tax credit goes to the owner - so the finance company. Some mfgs/finance companies pass the credit to the borrower, some don't. I want to say Ford does not, as shown with the Fusion PHEV a few years back, but my memory is fuzzy.

I wouldn't lease an EV if the vehicle qualified for a credit and the lender didn't pass it along in the form of a discount.

For reference, Hyundai passed the credit on to me in full for my Ioniq in 2019. I'd have never leased if that wasn't the case.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah plastic bumpers suck. I personally blame my own project car the AMC Eagle. All Eagles had really nice aluminum bumpers, however the bumper ends, fender flares, rocker panel trim were all a crappy plastic. Even worse Sport models were all black and had a quarter window panel that just held dirt against the body. Maybe they made it look tuff but after 30-40 years they are brittle and faded. I think they were the first to do this, now all cars have this junk on em.
SMm2fTQHaEG?w=315&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1.jpg
We owned two of those back in the day. Lived on a back road at the time and used to plow snow with the front bumper to get home from work. They were tanks.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the instance of a lease, the federal tax credit goes to the owner - so the finance company. Some mfgs/finance companies pass the credit to the borrower, some don't. I want to say Ford does not, as shown with the Fusion PHEV a few years back, but my memory is fuzzy.
I'm pretty sure leasing the Escape PHEV (and likely Corsair) gets the credit as a cap cost reduction. Notably the Mach-E doesn't which is why Ford came out with the Options financing program for it to make the initial pricing similar to leasing. A lease doesn't necessarily have to be through the manufacturer finance arm so a dealer might be able to do it through an alternative lender as well.

SiGmA_X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm pretty sure leasing the Escape PHEV (and likely Corsair) gets the credit as a cap cost reduction. Notably the Mach-E doesn't which is why Ford came out with the Options financing program for it to make the initial pricing similar to leasing. A lease doesn't necessarily have to be through the manufacturer finance arm so a dealer might be able to do it through an alternative lender as well.
Right you are - Escape has a $6.8K incentive if you lease, $0 if you finance. That is the same amount as the IRS lists.

That's good news, it wasn't the case with all brands in 2019 when I was shopping for my Ioniq. Pretty weird, IMO, because the finance company definitely gets the tax credit.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right you are - Escape has a $6.8K incentive if you lease, $0 if you finance. That is the same amount as the IRS lists.
I'd kind of considered an Escape PHEV when I saw they were finally getting delivered last Fall and my Maverick hadn't been scheduled yet. It could have just been the lease calculator I was looking at but the money factor pretty much cancelled out the tax credit and I think called for a $4k down payment (which isn't ideal for leases) to get the full value of the reduction.

Sponsored

SiGmA_X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd kind of considered an Escape PHEV when I saw they were finally getting delivered last Fall and my Maverick hadn't been scheduled yet. It could have just been the lease calculator I was looking at but the money factor pretty much cancelled out the tax credit and I think called for a $4k down payment (which isn't ideal for leases) to get the full value of the reduction.
Ford always defaults the down payment to 10%.

Wow, I just checked Edmunds and the PHEV's APR is about 2x that of a gas vehicle. Insane.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford always defaults the down payment to 10%.
In this case it was showing the cap cost reduction (from the EV credit) increasing with higher DPs until the full $6840. Could have just been something erroneous from the dealer's online calculator.

SiGmA_X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In this case it was showing the cap cost reduction (from the EV credit) increasing with higher DPs until the full $6840. Could have just been something erroneous from the dealer's online calculator.
Humm, weird. I don't think that's normal, but I'm not that familiar with it, and especially not with quirks Ford may have.
Sponsored