Sponsored

Regrets not waiting for all wheel drive hybrid?

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
  • Banned
Here in the northeast 2 wheel drive trucks don't sell well. Since I won't see my 2022 hybrid till July, and if by chance they have a 2023 hybrid awd I may wait. Awd holds value and Ford wants to beat the Santa Cruz to the punch. I want to stick with the hybrid for fuel economy but rethinking the front wheel drive from some of my earlier posts.
Sponsored

fordny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Here in the northeast 2 wheel drive trucks don't sell well. Since I won't see my 2022 hybrid till July, and if by chance they have a 2023 hybrid awd I may wait. Awd holds value and Ford wants to beat the Santa Cruz to the punch. I want to stick with the hybrid for fuel economy but rethinking the front wheel drive from some of my earlier posts.
My 2.0 ECO AWD will arrive in Jan. I was thinking the same thing about AWD Hybrid.....that is what I truly want. Simple fix...I am sure my 2.0 will hold value for 2 or 3 years. Trade it in for the AWD hybrid when I can get one.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you planning on only keeping the truck a couple years? I hardly give resale value a second thought. I keep my vehicles a long time and tons of miles. By the time I sell they are all nearly worthless. I buy a vehicle for me and not the next owner.

AWD vehicles also have added expenses.

LEDLITES

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GREENE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LX80
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really want an AWD Plug in Hybrid with 30-35 miles range but we will wait. I got my hybrid XL to hold onto until that option is available.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick is FWD. Most other 2WD trucks are RWD. Are you insinuating that all front wheel drive cars struggle in the NE? That means you need better tires or more training for snow/winter conditions.

Additionally - the Maverick Hybrid if it does get an AWD variant won't come until 2024 and will come with a steep price increase to bring it inline with the Escape AWD.

Sponsored

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Man, buy the hybrid you ordered. Order the AWD hybrid that Ford must surely have in 2023. When your 2023 AWD arrives, trade in you 2022 Mav for nearly the amount you paid. Have a new 2023 AWD hybrid.

…. that’s my plan anyway. 😂

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm curious how much more "efficient", or whatever it is about these types of vehicles that captivate certain buyers, an AWD hybrid would be over the 2.0 EB AWD? If the difference is small, the hybrid would have to widen that difference through a lower price. If that can happen, it's DOA.

OP
OP

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
  • Banned
I'm curious how much more "efficient", or whatever it is about these types of vehicles that captivate certain buyers, an AWD hybrid would be over the 2.0 EB AWD? If the difference is small, the hybrid would have to widen that difference through a lower price. If that can happen, it's DOA.
I agree...also depends on where the gas prices are going.
The higher the gas prices, the hybrid becomes more desirable.

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
The AWD will have more parts to fail and likely be lower value over time then the fwd. Theres no need for awd on any maintained road anymore. You will get just as stuck with awd as you will fwd if you don't drive right.

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford data for the 2022 Escape Hybrid:
EPA-Estimated Ratings FWD (Actual mileage will vary) 44 City/37 Hwy/41 Comb. MPG
EPA-Estimated Ratings AWD (Actual mileage will vary) 43 City/37 Hwy/40 Comb. MPG
https://www.ford.com/suvs-crossovers/escape/models/escape-se-hybrid/

I hope to receive my June-order Maverick XL Hybrid in a month's time. I need a car now, not in 2023. I've a limited budget, and I know that FWD will serve me well in snow with appropriate tires.

If I could afford to wait, my best guess is that future model years will have higher list prices offset by sales incentives, and updates to fix any first-year design flaws.

Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would love a plug-in hybrid 4WD small truck with a 60-100 mile electric range. But that's not going to cost $21K! I'm looking forward to seeing what Ford ends up doing with this platform. From what I've read, Ford is aiming to be the 2nd largest EV maker in the world, so SOMETHING is definitely in the pipeline.

Last edited:

jima7777

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Pathfinder
A Maverick PHEV AWD would be the ultimate vehicle no doubt. Meantime, I hope to get my Lariat Hybrid by May (ordered 9-17-21). When and if the Maverick or Santa Cruz come out with a PHEV AWD, I'm ordering it the day it's announced!

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
...also depends on where the gas prices are going.
The higher the gas prices, the hybrid becomes more desirable.
Yes, but that's only true if there is a significant difference in mileage. And I think it would need to be in order for most buyers to be willing to trade of the extra capability of the EB. I'm curious to what extent there would be? 🤔

MyFutureMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As someone who’s had both front wheel, rear wheel, and all wheel drive vehicles, I’d say FWD is the next best thing o AWD, unless you get into a lot of high snow.
Sponsored