2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid/2023 Hyundai Tuscon/2013 Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

After waiting 13 months for my 23 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, I refused acceptance. The reasons: 1) After reading the article regarding what Ford did to produce it at that price was primary. By not E-coating body parts, it will rust in Northern Ohio. Other components were dropped or cheapened including the muffler. 2) Even though I wouldn't be financing very much, FordCredit wanted more than the banks. 3) On arrival, they told me that the radio did not work, which required replacing the entire touch screen.

I did drive it (without the touchscreen), and I have to admit, I liked the way it handled.

Instead, the dealership had a plug-in hybrid Escape Platinum....101 mpg in the city....

Enjoy your Mavericks everyone, I love seeing them on the road, but I guess I want more than what they offer.

20231012_125516.jpg

20231012_125446.jpg

As a former Chevy Volt owner, which shares similarities with the Escape you've just acquired, I was more than eager to switch to the Maverick Hybrid. I had the Volt for over three years and put over 60,000 miles on it, but it was time for a change.

While the Volt served me well, living in the Midwest meant the 35-40 miles per charge I enjoyed in the warm summer dropped to about 24 miles per charge in the winter. It wasn't a significant issue, but the Volt was a stepping stone to what I originally desired: a Tesla. However, the Volt still had the advantages of a Gas/Electric Hybrid.

I didn't purchase it to save the planet because, in the end, electric vehicles are not as environmentally friendly as they want you to believe. Despite its impressive 100+ MPGe, the power doesn't come out of thin air; you pay for it, just like any electric vehicle. It may not save the planet but rather conceals the true environmental impact, making it easy to overlook.

I no longer have the Volt not because I disliked it, but because I grew tired of plugging it in every single night to get 25-30 miles per charge. Over time, the novelty wears off, and you may also wish you didn't have to plug in just to commute to work, the store, or wherever you need to go. After three years, I no longer desire a full electric car. I now enjoy my Hybrid, where I can simply visit a gas pump, refuel, and go 600 miles without needing to plug in. While some may argue otherwise and never tire of it, many will. Best of luck with your new Escape!

Last edited:

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I went from an F-150 to my Maverick and I love it. Did I love my F-150? Absolutely, but the Maverick offers most of the things I need out of a truck (trips to Home Depot, moving stuff around town) and my hybrid got over 43mpg over the first 100 miles. Nothing about the truck feels cheap to me either. It all has to do with the American stigma of having to drive a monster truck, but size wise, this is no different than the Ranger from the 90's and there were tons of those on the road. This is the best of all worlds in my opinion.
I went from an F 150 also. But having small trucks most of my life it was just to damn big. Ecoboost Mav here went from 16 mpg in the F-150 to 30 mpg with the Mav. Very happy.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As a former Chevy Volt owner…
Well said. I too echo the same sentiment after owning a Nissan Leaf for many years. It always felt like a golf cart with A/C, that caused me a significant amount of range anxiety, trying to shoe horn it into my daily life. Hybrid is the way, at least for the foreseeable future. I’m not opposed to EV’s but we need further technology improvements, infrastructure development, and prices to normalize.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks, I really do like the better options, but even loaded it wouldn't have memory seats.... and 101 mpg is just too nice to pass up.
I really want to believe in things like 101mpg but coming from an engineering field I'm taught to trust and verify. Couple this with knowing how much current company marketing departments like to embellish and how much media just wants eyeballs (will say anything) I'm prone to think 101mpg is quiet frankly "full of ... 🤬"

I'm being lazy and just taking googles first answer but it says the Escape PHEV:
- Has a range of 37miles per charge
- Has a battery capacity of 14.4 kwh

So, considering electricity and charging is a lossy game let's say it takes 16kwh to charge that battery(I think that is generous). Electricity here is about $0.12 a kwh but then ya get nailed with distribution also, so roughly $0.20 a kwh.

16 x $0.20 = $3.20 for 37 miles.

Around here in PA I can fill up for $2.99(88 octane 15% ethanol - $4.20(91 octane no-ethanol) so let's call $3.20 battery fill up a 1 gallon equivalent. So that makes the electric equivalent not 101mpg but much more like 37mpg.

Am I totally off or is today's marketing and media as bad as the old 1am infomercials? Remember they'd have some crazy math to prove you'd save $5000 a year making your own French fries when in reality a decent household didn't spend that on groceries in a year.

PS: I welcome a peer check here, but please don't come back trying to make this an argument because you pay $6 a gallon for gas and have free electricity. That's not feasible in all geographical locations. My prices here in PA are pretty middle of the road.

Perhaps with the above caveat it should be 101mpge(in the most ideal economic locality in the US)? Is 101mpge even true in CA areas?

Last edited:

Skandren

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2022 F150 XLT Powerboost
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Love living in Florida. Born and bred in Maine. No more rust to worry about. :)

Moosehead87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot - 24 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After waiting 13 months for my 23 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, I refused acceptance. The reasons: 1) After reading the article regarding what Ford did to produce it at that price was primary. By not E-coating body parts, it will rust in Northern Ohio. Other components were dropped or cheapened including the muffler. 2) Even though I wouldn't be financing very much, FordCredit wanted more than the banks. 3) On arrival, they told me that the radio did not work, which required replacing the entire touch screen.

I did drive it (without the touchscreen), and I have to admit, I liked the way it handled.

Instead, the dealership had a plug-in hybrid Escape Platinum....101 mpg in the city....

Enjoy your Mavericks everyone, I love seeing them on the road, but I guess I want more than what they offer.

20231012_125516.jpg

20231012_125446.jpg

Is it still there, ill go pick this beauty up!?!

Sharksforarms

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As a relatively new user reading through this thread, I just have to ask; are people so pointlessly bitter everywhere on this forum?

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Probably because their tired of all the lies and attempts of having crap shoved down their throats

Sponsored

Newtz1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

sorry to hear that you gave up on the truck. your reasons are vallate, however I think you would have really enjoyed the truck. good luck with your new ride.

Newtz1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As a relatively new user reading through this thread, I just have to ask; are people so pointlessly bitter everywhere on this forum?
try and find you a group or two around your home or town to join in on and you'll find more positivity .

Sharksforarms

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

try and find you a group or two around your home or town to join in on and you'll find more positivity .
Yeah, you're right. Just so tired of how casually toxic people can be to eachother over the Internet.

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you're referring to my somewhat sternly worded workup on #s from back in Oct. It's not bitterness it's scepticism. I'm in an engineering field and we're mercilessly programmed to pick each other's work apart to progress/better as a whole.

But really my post was trying to put out real world #s to an argument already ongoing. Everything at that period of time seemed to be steering toward a pro/con EV argument based mostly on emotion. Many threads were hijacked and I was growing tired of that! Tried = grumpy = bitter at times.

In my defense there was a lot of info on that post and I even invited others to peer check the work. You can say you "think something is full of 🤬" and still have a constructive conversation 😁. I grew up in NY / Italian setting, this is how we communicate passion 😁

Last edited:

Sharksforarms

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you're referring to my somewhat sternly worded workup on #s from back in Oct. It's not bitterness it's scepticism. I'm in an engineering field and we're mercilessly programmed to pick each other's work apart to progress/better as a whole.

But really my post was trying to put out real world #s to an argument already ongoing. Everything at that period of time seemed to be steering toward a pro/con EV argument based mostly on emotion. Many threads were hijacked and I was growing tired of that! Tried = grumpy = bitter at times.

In my defense there was a lot of info on that post and I even invited others to peer check the work. You can say you "think something is full of 🤬" and still have a constructive conversation 😁. I grew up in NY / Italian setting, this is how we communicate passion 😁
Nope. Your post was in good faith. I was just going through this thread and seeing people get nasty for no real reason other than it gives them a hit of dopamine to unload on someone.

Your post actually inspired me to do my own math. Right now my electric rate is about 8.3¢ for the first 900kw and 7.5 thereafter (it gets about 2¢ more in summer), so the math works out more favorably for me than you as far as EV ROI would go.

I think EVs are super cool and I'm excited to see where the battery and charging tech is at in 10 years. I'm glad for the early adopters spurring innovation but it's still too early for me. I'd love a PHEV Maverick but wouldn't want to go full electric any time soon.
Sponsored