First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4x4, Silverado, Mazda 3, Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Because I picked up a "screech" in my driver side rear wheel, I removed the back LEFT tire to investigate. Because these trucks have an ELECTRIC parking brake, one must first put the truck in brake maintenance mode. Lots of youtubes on this, but FYI, at least on my eco non-hybrid, there was no flashing or beep to signify that I was in that mode. Your results may be different, and if so, I would like to hear the procedure that you employed. After you finish, return to the standard mode. Posted this for those of us who are used to changing pads (EASY to do!) ourselves, but new to the electric parking brake.... a major PITA in my opinion, along with putting the brakes on at every stop unless you over-ride it. GRRRRrrrr....
On a positive note, screech is gone. USUALLY this is due to the pads being used up OR a rock between the disk and the thin metal plate. The latter can be cleared by taking a knife blade or similar, or physically springing out the thin plate to knock out the rock.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, a lot of the new technology is so complex it makes us question whether the added features are worth the hassle. Here is the procedure from the service manual, which appears to be identical for both EB and hybrids.

ACTIVATION
NOTES: Prior to service mode activation, clear all brake related DTC's. This mode will cause all associated brake warning indicators and messages to appear.
1. Set the ignition to ON.
2. Release the EPB .
3. Press and hold the accelerator pedal and place the EPB switch in the RELEASE (downward) position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and EPB switch.
4. Turn the ignition OFF and back ON within 5 seconds . Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
5. Turn the ignition OFF, then release the accelerator pedal and EPB switch.
NOTES: The brake system will be deactivated. The yellow EPB indicator will be illuminated and Maintenance Mode will display on the message center. The brake caliper piston does not have to be rotated to compress it into the caliper housing.

DEACTIVATION
2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal.
3. Place the EPB switch in the APPLY (upward) position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
4. Firmly press the brake pedal for at least 1 second. Release the brake pedal while continuing to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
5. Turn the ignition OFF and then back ON within 5 seconds, then release the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.

NOTES Once the ignition is set to ON, the EPB system will immediately apply and release the parking brake to guarantee sufficient air gap between the rear brake pads and brake disc. If the EPB switch is not released prior to completion of this sequence, it will apply the EPB . The EPB will have to released prior to moving the vehicle. When Brake Maintenance Mode is deactivated, the Yellow Parking Brake and Red Brake Warning Indicators turn off and "Brake Maintenance Mode" no longer displays in the message center.

Be aware that brake pads with adhesive backing are single use only. When the pads have been separated from the caliper, new pads must be installed to prevent noise and shudder.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimKivi

JimKivi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4x4, Silverado, Mazda 3, Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, a lot of the new technology is so complex it makes us question whether the added features are worth the hassle. Here is the procedure from the service manual, which appears to be identical for both EB and hybrids.

ACTIVATION
NOTES: Prior to service mode activation, clear all brake related DTC's. This mode will cause all associated brake warning indicators and messages to appear.
2. Release the EPB .
3. Press and hold the accelerator pedal and place the EPB switch in the RELEASE (downward) position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and EPB switch.
4. Turn the ignition OFF and back ON within 5 seconds . Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
5. Turn the ignition OFF, then release the accelerator pedal and EPB switch.
NOTES: The brake system will be deactivated. The yellow EPB indicator will be illuminated and Maintenance Mode will display on the message center. The brake caliper piston does not have to be rotated to compress it into the caliper housing.

DEACTIVATION
2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal.
3. Place the EPB switch in the APPLY (upward) position. Continue to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
4. Firmly press the brake pedal for at least 1 second. Release the brake pedal while continuing to hold the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.
5. Turn the ignition OFF and then back ON within 5 seconds, then release the accelerator pedal and the EPB switch.

NOTES Once the ignition is set to ON, the EPB system will immediately apply and release the parking brake to guarantee sufficient air gap between the rear brake pads and brake disc. If the EPB switch is not released prior to completion of this sequence, it will apply the EPB . The EPB will have to released prior to moving the vehicle. When Brake Maintenance Mode is deactivated, the Yellow Parking Brake and Red Brake Warning Indicators turn off and "Brake Maintenance Mode" no longer displays in the message center.

Be aware that brake pads with adhesive backing are single use only. When the pads have been separated from the caliper, new pads must be installed to prevent noise and shudder.
Thanks for the procedure posting. Looking at the F150 procedure either my ancient memory had it wrong or two things seemed to be in a different order, with no telltale flashing as shown in the (wrong) video. Good tip about the backing adhesive too.

bagman51

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer XLT 2011 Mustang Convertible
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From the NHTSA web site:

SSM 51217
2022 Maverick – Brake Service Mode Inoperative
Some 2022 Maverick vehicles may exhibit the brake service mode is inoperative when using the Workshop Manual (WSM) procedure. To avoid this condition, do not use the brake service mode procedure described in the WSM. Instead, use Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool to activate the Brake Service Mode. Run the ABS-Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Service Tools app and select enter park brake maintenance mode.

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From the NHTSA web site:

SSM 51217
2022 Maverick – Brake Service Mode Inoperative
Some 2022 Maverick vehicles may exhibit the brake service mode is inoperative when using the Workshop Manual (WSM) procedure. To avoid this condition, do not use the brake service mode procedure described in the WSM. Instead, use Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool to activate the Brake Service Mode. Run the ABS-Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Service Tools app and select enter park brake maintenance mode.
Thanks Ford, super helpful for us DIY guys....:curse:

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Pretty disgusting that there's still no confirmed fix for this. Must be trying real hard to keep the recalls down, but that's debatable...

bagman51

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer XLT 2011 Mustang Convertible
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Setting Brake Maintenance Mode is NOT Required to change the pads and rotors on 2022 EB. Did mine today and used the cutting wheel wrench from my 4 1/2” mini grinder, to wind in and push the piston back.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Setting Brake Maintenance Mode is NOT Required to change the pads and rotors on 2022 EB. Did mine today and used the cutting wheel wrench from my 4 1/2” mini grinder, to wind in and push the piston back.
I don't suppose you took any pix of your hack?