Sponsored

Questions on trim upgrade/general issues.

merlin101

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello everybody!

I placed an order for a 24 Maverick Hybrid XLT (only added luxury pkg & co-pilot360) day 1 of order banks opening. Very excited and loving all the info/ engagement on the forums about everything to do with the Maverick. It seems there is a huge wealth of knowledge floating around.

I have developed a few questions that I was hoping for input on from the informed masses.

1) I may be able to upgrade to a Lariat trim, but I don't want to screw up my time-frame for production and delivery. Is the general consensus that Lariats, on average at least, may arrive "sooner" than XLTs, or is the reverse true? Or is it just a toss-up regardless? Has anybody changed Trim levels, and did it seem to go well?

2) I see a lot of older (and some current) threads the more I search on here about weird issues with the earlier Hybrids (and sometimes EBs). People will reference a lot of these odd problems still. However, it seems like each time I dig into the issue it's been acknowledged by either a recall or a production change. Have most/all the big ticket issues been theoretically addressed so far? I'm imagining all the acknowledged issues SHOULD be handled as part of the re-tooling for MY24, but of course we'll have to see I guess.

3) I've seen some people imply the vehicle is easily damaged in accidents (IE the frame in a rear-end crash). Is this a legitimate concern vs other relatively similar unibody frame vehicles, or is it just a variance when compared to conventional truck frames that aren't unibody?
Sponsored

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just my quick answers to your questions (albeit long-winded), and I'm sure you will get varied repsonses.

1) I think either an XLT or Lariat have the same chance of being build, while the XL trim level is a known constraint. One of the major parameters on when/if your order moves to production is your dealer's allocations...this factor seems to affect getting into production as much as anything else...except if you have added options that are known constraints (ie Hybrid, mud flaps PPF, etc).

2) I think the 2023MY has seen less issues vs the 1st year 2022s. I'd expect the 2024s to even be better, but the wildcard is they've increased production (adding a 3rd shift) but hopefully quality doesn't suffer. While there are still issues popping up, if you have competent dealer service dept they can be resolved (subject to parts being available). As a side issue, if you Mav needs repairs, does the dealership have enough loaners???

We're still seeing occasional horror stories on long periods required for repairs (thinking parts availabilty and/or incompetent service depts again), but sometimes I wonder if we're getting all the facts as some folks just go ballistic. Some OPs never update what the resolution was and the threads just linger until another poor soul has a "maybe" similar issue and the thread(s) gets revived.

3) My viewpoint is some is caused by the uni-body construction, but again parts availability can be an issue. They're pumping out Mavericks at an increased pace, and Maverick-specific parts (ie body panels, etc) can be in short supply as the factory production consumes much of these unique parts.

Again, just my views on what's happening. Someone who's been waiting for a unobtainable part or getting the run around at their service dept probably has a different viewpoint.

Finally, as has been mentioned here many times before, the entire MTC community is only a small percentage of all the Maverick owners out there. And when someone has a major issue, they seek out these MTC forums to hopefully find answers (or to vent)...so I think the number of issues reported on this site maybe inflated somewhat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
merlin101

merlin101

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just my quick answers to your questions (albeit long-winded), and I'm sure you will get varied repsonses.

1) I think either an XLT or Lariat have the same chance of being build, while the XL trim level is a known constraint. One of the major parameters on when/if your order moves to production is your dealer's allocations...this factor seems to affect getting into production as much as anything else...except if you have added options that are known constraints (ie Hybrid, mud flaps PPF, etc).

2) I think the 2023MY has seen less issues vs the 1st year 2022s. I'd expect the 2024s to even be better, but the wildcard is they've increased production (adding a 3rd shift) but hopefully quality doesn't suffer. While there are still issues popping up, if you have competent dealer service dept they can be resolved (subject to parts being available). As a side issue, if you Mav needs repairs, does the dealership have enough loaners???

We're still seeing occasional horror stories on long periods required for repairs (thinking parts availabilty and/or incompetent service depts again), but sometimes I wonder if we're getting all the facts as some folks just go ballistic. Some OPs never update what the resolution was and the threads just linger until another poor soul has a "maybe" similar issue and the thread(s) gets revived.

3) My viewpoint is some is caused by the uni-body construction, but again parts availability can be an issue. They're pumping out Mavericks at an increased pace, and Maverick-specific parts (ie body panels, etc) can be in short supply as the factory production consumes much of these unique parts.

Again, just my views on what's happening. Someone who's been waiting for a unobtainable part or getting the run around at their service dept probably has a different viewpoint.

Finally, as has been mentioned here many times before, the entire MTC community is only a small percentage of all the Maverick owners out there. And when someone has a major issue, they seek out these MTC forums to hopefully find answers (or to vent)...so I think the number of issues reported on this site maybe inflated somewhat.
That's great info, I appreciate it. Mostly matches up with what I've been seeing too.

On the first one, I only added the luxury package and co pilot so I think it should have good odds. If I upgrade to Lariat I don't plan to add anything (beyond the force-included luxury package obviously).

3 has me a little concerned, but I agree there's probably a few contextual elements to it so hopefully it's not as bad as some people have made it out to be.

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just my 2 cents... :unsure:
I think the concern about vehicle damage is common among ALL Uni-body vehicles.
The problem with the Maverick is it's low cost (selling point).
And wIth a standard for "Throw-away" items (vehicles) it doesn't take much $$$ to "write it off".

After driving Older Ford Rangers for 36 years and going through a few bumps and scrapes.
I realise that the Maverick is a different animal and my driving has changed accordiingly.
I take a more "Defensive" driving stance (watching out for the other guy) and that's The New Reality... for me. ;)

Jerry

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hello everybody!

I placed an order for a 24 Maverick Hybrid XLT (only added luxury pkg & co-pilot360) day 1 of order banks opening. Very excited and loving all the info/ engagement on the forums about everything to do with the Maverick. It seems there is a huge wealth of knowledge floating around.

I have developed a few questions that I was hoping for input on from the informed masses.

1) I may be able to upgrade to a Lariat trim, but I don't want to screw up my time-frame for production and delivery. Is the general consensus that Lariats, on average at least, may arrive "sooner" than XLTs, or is the reverse true? Or is it just a toss-up regardless? Has anybody changed Trim levels, and did it seem to go well?

2) I see a lot of older (and some current) threads the more I search on here about weird issues with the earlier Hybrids (and sometimes EBs). People will reference a lot of these odd problems still. However, it seems like each time I dig into the issue it's been acknowledged by either a recall or a production change. Have most/all the big ticket issues been theoretically addressed so far? I'm imagining all the acknowledged issues SHOULD be handled as part of the re-tooling for MY24, but of course we'll have to see I guess.

3) I've seen some people imply the vehicle is easily damaged in accidents (IE the frame in a rear-end crash). Is this a legitimate concern vs other relatively similar unibody frame vehicles, or is it just a variance when compared to conventional truck frames that aren't unibody?
  1. My XL Hybrid was ordered 9/15 and should be delivered by the end of the month. Being both a hybrid & XL, it had 2 big constraints. However, there are people who ordered XLT & Lariat ecoboost whose '23 orders have been delayed to '24 models. IMO, constraints change by the week, so you should order what you want, especially if you plan to keep it long-term. Dealer allocations are probably just as important as trim & options, when it comes to build delays.
  2. Both Hybrid & Turbo/ecoboost models have had recalls and owners of both have had all sorts of issues and complaints on here. Hybrids the most. Most issues have been addressed though. And they are under warranty. Every Ford I've ever owned had warranty issues early on. But after the bugs were addressed, they became very reliable vehicles, with few long-term issues.
  3. Unibody vehicles are more easily totaled in what seem like minor crashes. They are designed to crumple in a crash and absorb the impact - instead of transferring the impact to the occupants. There are also more rear-end crashes now, than any other type of crash. Distracted driving is likely the main culprit, as people stare at screens while driving; screens that didn't used to exist. It's not just Mavericks.
Don't overthink your vehicle order. More importantly, do your due diligence and find an honest dealer you can trust. There are threads on here that list dealers to use - and avoid. Then, order what you want and be prepared to wait. And wait. :)
Sponsored