First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a question for the car-knowledgeable people on the forum. My 2022 Ecoboost, now with over 40,000 miles has suddenly improved MPG on a long trip from 32 to 36. The story is that in several previous trips, loaded and unloaded, I have averaged in the 32mpg range. We recently moved from AZ to SC and in the process pulled a 5X8 Uhaul trailer fully loaded and the truck fully loaded. No idea total weight but it was a LOT. On the 2000 mile trip the average MPG was around 21.

Last week we made a quick trip from Aiken SC to Flint Michigan, basically empty with just my wife and I and very little luggage. On the outgoing portion mostly on interstates, local roads to I-26, I-40, and I-75 (several significant slow-downs), 840 miles @ 36.5 MPG. On the return trip after some local driving in Michigan we routed to I-77 (the better option in my opinion) through the mountains of WV with the total miles for the trip, 1893 @ 36.2 MPG. We averaged 500+ miles between fillups.

One caveat is that I'm old enough that I don't have to be the fastest car on the road anymore so I ran mostly the speed limit or slightly under. That said, does anyone have an explanation for the significant increase in gas mileage?
Mostly I'm just curious.
Sponsored

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great mpg . appreciate it . tire air pressure ? Tail wind ? Limited speed ? Mechanicals loosened up?

Gray Goose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Terrain Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Tailwind can make a big difference. Ask anyone who sails. Getting a tail wind on both direction of a road trip is a bonus. A very bad day if you get a simultaneous headwind and tailwind. In that case follow tornado safety protocol.

MoveOver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ambient Temp can make a big difference too. Cold water decreases mpg as well as hot weather. Also winter gas vs summer gas.

Jackel007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a question for the car-knowledgeable people on the forum. My 2022 Ecoboost, now with over 40,000 miles has suddenly improved MPG on a long trip from 32 to 36. The story is that in several previous trips, loaded and unloaded, I have averaged in the 32mpg range. We recently moved from AZ to SC and in the process pulled a 5X8 Uhaul trailer fully loaded and the truck fully loaded. No idea total weight but it was a LOT. On the 2000 mile trip the average MPG was around 21.

Last week we made a quick trip from Aiken SC to Flint Michigan, basically empty with just my wife and I and very little luggage. On the outgoing portion mostly on interstates, local roads to I-26, I-40, and I-75 (several significant slow-downs), 840 miles @ 36.5 MPG. On the return trip after some local driving in Michigan we routed to I-77 (the better option in my opinion) through the mountains of WV with the total miles for the trip, 1893 @ 36.2 MPG. We averaged 500+ miles between fillups.

One caveat is that I'm old enough that I don't have to be the fastest car on the road anymore so I ran mostly the speed limit or slightly under. That said, does anyone have an explanation for the significant increase in gas mileage?
Mostly I'm just curious.
I will be going to Davison, MI in July also from SC

Sponsored

Top Truck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Mostly I'm just curious.
Headwind vs tailwind makes a really big difference. Driving at slower speeds(especially under 55mph) makes a big difference too.

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Flat land not many hills plus all of the above
Nope. The Appalachians that one has to climb are not "flat land." No way to get from SC to MI without going over some big-time mountain road segments.

trumpet77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2009 Porsche Cayman
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd second the summer formula gas as the one variable that might have made the difference.

We just did a drive from SC to Michigan too, so you probably noticed not to buy gas in NC or Virginia since the other states are usually cheaper!

Sponsored

jmatchco

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 BMW X3 M40i, 07 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Summer gas, plus maybe you lucked into some ethanol-free straight gas.

Bill Quattlebaum

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Ranger XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Welcome to South Carolina! It's getting hot here already. We live only about 30 miles from Aiken and go shopping there at least twice a month. My Ecoboost is getting between 28 and 30 mpg, but it only has about 1400 miles now. No long trips yet, but your 36 mpg is outstanding. Check it the old fashioned way. Sometimes the computer is about seven percent optimistic on the miles per gallon.
Sponsored