DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well i found out today that the pre collision assist does work. Very windy here again 40-50 mph side wind, I was driving about 60 when a large tumbleweed probably close to 6 foot diameter decided the take on the Maverick. Before I could react the the Maverick did by applying the brakes and flashing something on the scree for a second, I later looked it up and it was the precollision thing. Did not slam on the brakes or take me to a full stop just applied the brakes for a millisecond. The tumbleweed hit right in the center of the grill. No damage just part of the tumbleweed. Nice to know it worked, even nicer to know no damage happened.
Sponsored

Indy300

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tumble weeds are real?? I thought they were only in cartoons... anyway, glad the Maverick helped you. I had the pre-collision kick in and saved me from the person in front of me slam on the brakes on an interstate.

AndrewinMD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tumble weeds are real?? I thought they were only in cartoons... anyway, glad the Maverick helped you. I had the pre-collision kick in and saved me from the person in front of me slam on the brakes on an interstate.
I was surprised when I first saw a tumbleweed after moving to Texas a couple decades ago (only stayed about a year, was for the military). Another surprising thing is how HEAVY they are! They are dense packs of solid, dry wood. You would not want to be hit by one, and they aren't feathery light little bundles of nature.

bwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tumble weeds are real?? I thought they were only in cartoons... anyway, glad the Maverick helped you.
You need to get out more.

Sponsored

OpieGoneBad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh yes, they are very real. Lived in Wyoming for several years and they roamed in packs late fall every year. I had my pre-collision kick in just a few weeks after I got my Mav. Some fool cut in front of me from the left lane (I was in the right lane) then slam on the brakes to make a right turn. The mav went nuts with a flashing red display then hit the brakes. I probably would have stopped myself because I was already on alert because of him cutting me off but it was nice to see that it really does work.

bwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wow.
In a coincidence I used it for the first time yesterday also. XLT Hybrid.

I was at about 25 mph.

Do you know what is the minimum speed it works at? Will it stop you at 5 mph in dense traffic?

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Read somewhere that some gal is making money selling tumbleweeds. Sells them for movie sets decorative purposes. I never seen one did not know they could be a hazzard.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I was surprised when I first saw a tumbleweed after moving to Texas a couple decades ago (only stayed about a year, was for the military). Another surprising thing is how HEAVY they are! They are dense packs of solid, dry wood. You would not want to be hit by one, and they aren't feathery light little bundles of nature.
Shortly after I moved to El Paso, TX (Army), I was riding my motorcycle down one of the roads paralleling one of the large lots where the Army tanks were parked. There was a 10-foot high fence topped with concertina wire (razor wire). There was a pretty stiff crosswind blowing that day, and out of the corner of my eye I registered some movement in the tank park... I glanced that way, only to witness an 8-foot tumbleweed come rolling toward one of the tanks, roll right up on top of it, then keep going towards the fence (now only about 5-6 ft higher than the rolling mass of sticks).

Before I could blink, it had rolled right over the top of that concertina wire, and came flying across the road toward me. I ducked as low as I could go, and it bounced off my back, then continued into the adjacent lane, where it bounced across a car and into the oncoming traffic in the other lanes. By that time I was past it, but I heard screeching brakes and metallic crunching sounds.

That night the news had a story about a car that started a chain reaction accident when it tried to avoid a large tumbleweed on that road. I was lucky it didn't knock me off the bike at 50+ mph...

Tumbleweeds a REAL, and they can be NASTY (and huge!)...

Sponsored

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That was probably an Acme tumbleweed that got away from Wily E. Coyote out chasing down the Roadrunner.

OP
OP

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
this was a high school close to me a couple years ago. That was the gymnasium. The can definitely dent a vehicle. And they are very combustible..

Ford Maverick pre collision assist tumbleweeds

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So never had it trigger ever in the first 2000 miles. Now it triggered twice in two days.

First was legit. Car in front stopped abruptly on the freeway and due to rush hour and slow (25 mph) speed following distance was pretty short. It worked as intended and I appreciated it.

Today it went off while rounding a corner in a residential area with PARKED cars on both sides. Again at about 25 mph. I was no where near a collision and this instance was totally inappropriate. It must have been confused by the parked cars on a curve. Not a right turn, just a curved street.

So reputable news organization says self driving cars are a pipe dream. Decades away. Maybe never will come to fruition unless machines come to be able to reason. And do we want that?

Ever see a Terminator movie?

dadd75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.universityofheaven.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 2013 Buick Encore
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Read somewhere that some gal is making money selling tumbleweeds. Sells them for movie sets decorative purposes. I never seen one did not know they could be a hazzard.
In 1982 I was in Las Vegas and tumble weeds were blowing down the main street, of course it wasn't as built up then, but they were a real thing!
Sponsored