14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If we were talking an old ranger, S10, Nissan hardbody, or early Toyota pickup, or really any old beater truck I’d think it would be cool. It’s expected on these trucks because they are the epitome of frugal.

On a XLT luxury edition 2022 or later Maverick like the OP has or will have? Spend the money on a decent bed cover, it deserves it because it’s going to be a rare truck out there for a long time based on how well we are managing chip shortages and supply chain issues these days.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As I mentioned before Baltic Birch Cutting Panels 60"x60" are available.
Ok, sorry I got hung up on Baltic birch cutting panels. They are pretty pricy but I woke up and realized that to extend the 48" width you can splice on another piece of plywood along that side using a scarf joint. Bevel the two sides of the pieces 10-12 times the thickness of the plywood (1/4" ply would be 3" bevel and 1/2" ply would be 6" bevel. Must be straight and flat on both pieces. Must be identical. Epoxy glue the pieces together and fasten with nails and screws which will be left in and sanded flush. If you have a friend who is a plywood boat builder, or a sign painter, or anyone who needs oversized sheets of sheet goods should be able to do this in their sleep. If not search for scarf plywood boat builder. Due to exactness of beveling required splices over 3' become increasingly difficult. The advantage to having one piece would be that your black covering could be glued to the plywood and with a little belt sanding and maybe a little filler your first scarfing endeavor wouldn't have to be pretty since you are going to cover it. Good luck.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is how to make a scarfing jig for skill saw. He has it at about 7 degrees but make it flatter but the skill saw blade has to reach all the way through the plywood. The flatter the better.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is how to make a scarfing jig for skill saw. He has it at about 7 degrees but make it flatter but the skill saw blade has to reach all the way through the plywood. The flatter the better.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oops sent wrong link. Here is the correct one I hope for a scarfing jig for skill saw.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you are going to use bungees, use the ones from the Dollar Store!

wjg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's a few pics of my DIY PoorMax hard, one-piece cover I made :ROFLMAO: It's a relatively simple design using aluminum angles and ACM panels. It's either on or off, but easy to remove and leave in the garage if I need to.

I ended up making this cover because I couldn't justify the price of a cover like the LoMax. I know they are excellent covers as I've had Access tonneau covers previously and they were all really nice. Ultimately, this got me the low-profile look I wanted, it seals well and didn't cost me a grand. I'm only about $250 in it so far but it's stout.

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6881.jpg

1644775346057.png

1644775381691.png

1644775425004.png

After this project I definitely have a new respect for the hard cover manufactures. There's a lot that goes into making even a simple cover such as this. Accounting for various tolerances, temperature changes, hardware, weather-resistance, etc. are no easy task and I imagine sometimes overlooked by DIYers. It may seem like I just threw together a frame and attached some panels but there was a fair bit more that went into it.

More pics and info. in my build thread: JJC's Iconic Silver build - Post 14
Thats pretty slick. How do you secure it?

Qwillex

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav Hybrid XLT, 04 Ford F350, 12 Mazda CX-9
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's a few pics of my DIY PoorMax hard, one-piece cover I made :ROFLMAO: It's a relatively simple design using aluminum angles and ACM panels. It's either on or off, but easy to remove and leave in the garage if I need to.

I ended up making this cover because I couldn't justify the price of a cover like the LoMax. I know they are excellent covers as I've had Access tonneau covers previously and they were all really nice. Ultimately, this got me the low-profile look I wanted, it seals well and didn't cost me a grand. I'm only about $250 in it so far but it's stout.

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6881.jpg

1644775346057.png

1644775381691.png

1644775425004.png

After this project I definitely have a new respect for the hard cover manufactures. There's a lot that goes into making even a simple cover such as this. Accounting for various tolerances, temperature changes, hardware, weather-resistance, etc. are no easy task and I imagine sometimes overlooked by DIYers. It may seem like I just threw together a frame and attached some panels but there was a fair bit more that went into it.

More pics and info. in my build thread: JJC's Iconic Silver build - Post 14
I like what you did, here is what I did: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/home-made-tonneau-cover.7704/
I've been thinking about adding some aluminum to stiffen the top as I'd like to be able to set things on top and not worry about sagging. I think adding a rail and attaching the aluminum to the cover rather than the frame so it can still fold it flat back on itself.
Sponsored